stingray77

NVIDIA driver 419.17 as of Feb 22 does not work on SF2

as per the thread's title... or am I missing something? before that one everything was a-okay...

There is an issue, black screen when you launch the mission.

I downgraded the drivers to the last version and it works fine.

3 hours ago, ludo.m54 said:

There is an issue, black screen when you launch the mission.

I downgraded the drivers to the last version and it works fine.

I did the same thing to get it back to normal.

The 419.17 driver works if you keep graphics detail level settings to high, but won't allow unlimited settings.

EDIT:  SF1 works with unlimited settings with these drivers.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, effect details = unlimited is a not go.

Thanks for the tip guy's.  I will make sure I will not use that driver.  Cheers

Same here...was just going to post it when I found your post. I uninstalled 419 and reinstalled the 418 driver - which works.

Thanks

Thank you, been having some similar issues lately.  Get to play only a few missions.  I will check my drivers this evening (Pacific time).

Checked my drivers.  I have driver V 388.13 for Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, 2 GB GDDR 5.

Edited by JosefK
Checked my Nvidia driver

5 hours ago, viper63a said:

Same here...was just going to post it when I found your post. I uninstalled 419 and reinstalled the 418 driver - which works.

Thanks

Same driver I just got, works OK.  I suspect my issues of limited play before the graphics driver stops drawing jets is 100% due to the new Tornados having LOD (or something like that).  But I must say your Su-30SM build is rather nice ;-).

Also thanks for sharing the driver # as I found I was way behind.

10 hours ago, JosefK said:

Same driver I just got, works OK.  I suspect my issues of limited play before the graphics driver stops drawing jets is 100% due to the new Tornados having LOD (or something like that).  But I must say your Su-30SM build is rather nice ;-).

Also thanks for sharing the driver # as I found I was way behind.

THANKS! 

• Like 1

So... is it really necessary to install these new drivers if I only use the SF2/FE2 games ?

With my current version 390.77 the games work very well !

They work,but only in high settings   unlimited doesnt work...

Go unlimited options and then choose the option to customize and in the option EffectsDetail set high and the game works fine.
Latest drivers March 5 Nvidia version 419.35 with a GeForce RTX 2070.
The conflict is only the EffectsDetail option set to unlimited.

Edited by SgtSaunders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2019-03-06 at 9:25 AM, Coupi said:

So... is it really necessary to install these new drivers if I only use the SF2/FE2 games ?

With my current version 390.77 the games work very well !

Gosh no; it's long been the mantra of the wise PC customer to buy and use hardware/hardware drivers that successfully runs your software/games. IBM learned that painful lesson back in the late 1980's with their PS/2 PCs, which could successfully run SFA - never really clawed back their lost market share. My Nvidia drivers are almost as old as yours, but since my gaming rig isn't capable of running bleeding-edge games, I don't bother updating them often.  That said, I'm running on Win7 64 which is no longer an OS of focus in terms of updates that optimize performance. If you're running Win 10 YMMV.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a process where Nvidia can be made aware of this and potentially fix it? I realize that's very wishful thinking and would probably require some willingness on Third Wire's part, but just putting it out there anyways.

Edited by Arrow
  • Thanks 1

On 7-3-2019 at 2:17 AM, SgtSaunders said:
Go unlimited options and then choose the option to customize and in the option EffectsDetail set high and the game works fine.
Latest drivers March 5 Nvidia version 419.35 with a GeForce RTX 2070.
The conflict is only the EffectsDetail option set to unlimited.

Yep, toning down the Effect Details did the trick for me.
(driver 419.35 as well)

Just out of curiosity, what sort of visual/graphical difference is there between having EffectsDetail set on 'Unlimited' and 'High'.

I know mine is currenlty set to Unlimited, but I seem to recall with WoV and WoE having to set it to High to get decent frame rates. I can't recall if there was a noticable difference though?   

Yeah still happening with latest version too...I posted a question about it with nvidia feedback ,dont hold your breathe...my hopes are not too high about response.

10 hours ago, Arrow said:

Just out of curiosity, what sort of visual/graphical difference is there between having EffectsDetail set on 'Unlimited' and 'High'.

I know mine is currenlty set to Unlimited, but I seem to recall with WoV and WoE having to set it to High to get decent frame rates. I can't recall if there was a noticable difference though?   

I think unlimited has some additional shader and lighting effects. 

This is from the online manual:

+ Effects Detail

Controls the detail level for special effects, such as smoke, fire and explosions.

Low: Visual effects are short-lived and don't have much particulate detail.

Medium: Particle effects are denser, and visual effects last longer.

High: All effects are shown at full detail, and the effects remain onscreen for longer.

Unlimited: HDR effects are enabled (on DX10 or higher cards only).

As Happy308 said; in particular the Unlimited Effects setting uses the TWPOSTPROCESS.FX file which adds a horrible bloom effect in the stock game. Some mods (by Stary or even my realSKY mod) provide an alternative TWPOSTPROCESS.FX file, but I think the latest drivers simply hate those DX10 shaders used by SF2. I strongly suggest to set Effects to High. The Unlimited setting just eats FPS without adding anything that is worth.

I am lucky as my low-end PC is stuck with older NVIDIA drivers. I am not able to play with effects set to Unlimited in any case.

Edited by Menrva

On ‎25‎.‎03‎.‎2019 at 11:12 AM, Muesli said:

Yep, toning down the Effect Details did the trick for me.
(driver 419.35 as well)

Trying out the latest drivers lately and avoiding all of them (all had the same issue) - I now wanted to check out toning down the EFFECTS: I AM on HIGH (not UNLIMETED)! So there seems to be more than only the EFFECTS-settings!?