Sign in to follow this  
1Patriot-of-many

Mods for SF2 not having sufficient installation instructions

After running the renamed exe (StrikeFighters2 Formosa.exe) for the first time and selecting the create create campaign menu, then exited the game without changing anything, the campaign section in options.ini is as follows:

[Campaign]
CampaignName=561029 Operation Kadesh
PlayerService=Israel
PlayerUnit=No. 117 First Jet Squadron
AircraftType=Meteor8
Difficulty=NORMAL
Length=NORMAL
AircraftSupply=NORMAL
WeaponSupply=NORMAL
LoadCampaign=FALSE
CampaignSavename=

As said already, those entries are  just the saved settings from the campaign->create campaign menu. In my case it's the first stock campaign from my fully merged install.

After restarting the game and selecting the create campaign menu, selecting the campaign "590721 Operation Formosa Freedom", choosing a service and aircraft the campaign section in options.ini now reflect the last selections, e.g:

[Campaign]
CampaignName=590721 Operation Formosa Freedom
PlayerService=USN
PlayerUnit=VA-106 Gladiators
AircraftType=A-4B
Difficulty=NORMAL
Length=NORMAL
AircraftSupply=NORMAL
WeaponSupply=NORMAL
LoadCampaign=FALSE
CampaignSavename=formosa freedom a-1j.SAV

You don't have to change this entries manually. All can be changed / choosen from within the game create campaign menu.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, mue said:

After running the renamed exe (StrikeFighters2 Formosa.exe) for the first time and selecting the create create campaign menu, then exited the game without changing anything, the campaign section in options.ini is as follows:

[Campaign]
PlayerService=Israel
AircraftType=Meteor8
Difficulty=NORMAL
Length=NORMAL
AircraftSupply=NORMAL
WeaponSupply=NORMAL
LoadCampaign=FALSE
CampaignSavename=

As said already, those entries are  just the saved settings from the campaign->create campaign menu. In my case it's the first stock campaign from my fully merged install.

After restarting the game and selecting the create campaign menu, selecting the campaign "590721 Operation Formosa Freedom", choosing a service and aircraft the campaign section in options.ini now reflect the last selections, e.g:

[Campaign]
PlayerService=USN
AircraftType=A-4B
Difficulty=NORMAL
Length=NORMAL
AircraftSupply=NORMAL
WeaponSupply=NORMAL
LoadCampaign=FALSE

You don't have to change this entries manually. All can be changed / choosen from within the game create campaign menu.

Not when they freeze up and do nothing. What would be the rationale for many campaigns to have you changing that then?

4 hours ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

What would be the rationale for many campaigns to have you changing that then?

Maybe just to preselect the campaign in the "create campaign menu"?

Edited by mue

4 hours ago, mue said:

Maybe just to preselect the campaign in the "create campaign menu"?

I admire your patience. :good:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Nyghtfall said:

I admire your patience. :good:

Laugh away. If It freezes up when I hit the campaign button, what's your theory on not editing it manually, and why after editing it , it would work? What would be messed up on my computer?

On 3/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, mue said:

[Campaign]
PlayerService=Israel
AircraftType=Meteor8
Difficulty=NORMAL
Length=NORMAL
AircraftSupply=NORMAL
WeaponSupply=NORMAL
LoadCampaign=FALSE
CampaignSavename=

[Campaign]
PlayerService=USN
AircraftType=A-4B
Difficulty=NORMAL
Length=NORMAL
AircraftSupply=NORMAL
WeaponSupply=NORMAL
LoadCampaign=FALSE

What's even stranger here, I don't even get that choice of plane when selecting US NAVY I get A-1J Skyraider, F11F-1A "tiger" , F3H2N Demon, F4D-1 SKyray   How is the A4 even in that mod?

3 minutes ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

What's even stranger here, I don't even get that choice of plane when selecting US NAVY I get A-1J Skyraider, F11F-1A "tiger" , F3H2N Demon, F4D-1 SKyray   How is the A4 even in that mod?

I don't laugh...I simply admire his patience...

Skyhawks in several variants are stock planes, they came with the game...the A-4B in particular came with SF2 (the one with the mercaries).

6 minutes ago, Nyghtfall said:

I don't laugh...I simply admire his patience...

Skyhawks in several variants are stock planes, they came with the game...the A-4B in particular came with SF2 (the one with the mercaries).

So why doesn't it show up when I create a campaign in this mod? I have all the programs thirdwire put out for the series.

Edited by 1Patriot-of-many

14 minutes ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

So why doesn't it show up when I create a campaign in this mod? I have all the programs thirdwire put out for the series.

Probably your merged installation is somehow faulty. Can you create a single mission with the A-4B?

On 3/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, mue said:

Probably your merged installation is somehow faulty. Can you create a single mission with the A-4B?

Nope I only get the era specific campaign planes.  Okay that made me wonder. I reinstalled Formosa on Europe.exe base making it formosa2, I must have deleted the aircraft files because most of the mods want you to do that originally. Now I got the A4, but still don't get that in campaign, just the era specific planes, but it worked. Must of done something wrong on the install. Weird though modifying the INI file made it work for several of the mods. Of course I sink M936A2 wreckers in my yard 20190316_094609.thumb.jpg.591e8247d91b210c0d086d16aed766e5.jpgso no wonder.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:06 AM, 1Patriot-of-many said:

Have you actually installed any of the mods in the missions/Campaign section?

Well, yes, I have. I have also created some of the mods in the missions/campaign section. And thoroughly tested them before-hand. And never did I come across a need to make the changes you are talking about.

For someone relatively new to this forum, you are incredibly rude and cocky, and insulting to the very people who have spent their free time creating these free campaigns for you to use.

Edited by malibu43
  • Like 2

Easy, folks

let's keep it civil, please!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, malibu43 said:

Well, yes, I have. I have also created some of the mods in the missions/campaign section. And thoroughly tested them before-hand. And never did I come across a need to make the changes you are talking about.

For someone relatively new to this forum, you are incredibly rude and cocky, and insulting to the very people who have spent their free time creating these free campaigns for you to use.

Clearly you were wrong in saying that section doesn't get edited. If pointing out the numerous mods that indeed have that section edited, well I guess that makes me rude and cocky. Sorry you took it that way. I don't know what mods you've downloaded, apparently none that have you edit the campaign section.

8 hours ago, Wrench said:

Easy, folks

let's keep it civil, please!

Will do.  Sorry if anyone took offense, I also take offense at snide remarks. The site is great, modders are execllent and I appreciate all the hours that obviously went into them. Makes the game all the more playable for years to come. Yes I get frustrated when a mod locks up.  And frankly sometimes I don't make myself clear in what I am saying. All's well with me as far as any animosity with anyone here.

Edited by 1Patriot-of-many

I will add my 5 cents to the thread as it claims that mods have not sufficient instructions. So my point of view.

No instructions? So what. 

I can download any mod from here for free. And enjoy.  And that is enough. I can't expect more from guys who are spending countless hours on skinning, editing, modeling etc. If I decided to mod my game I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO MOD THIS. 

Over the years I've learned how, when and why mods are working or not.  And possible that I still have to learn more. As generally, I am new here - compared to others. 

Anyway. I found all the information that I needed -  thanks to search option/button. And of course trial and error.  And now I can even put some aircraft into the game. :pilotfly:

As for instructions -- ooo holly crap...we are not dealing with some quantum physics. Over the years all mods work the same way. We have the same structure of folders. Still. Copy - paste is often the most sophisticated way of putting mod into a game. Campaign/Mission/Aircraft/Weapon for NA/ Vietnam/ Korea or Iran -  works the same way.  So I don't give a sht if there is instruction or not. 

I'm glad that folks are still doing mods. :pope: :kudos: And better if they are working on terrain or nice tilesets, skins, or any other great stuff (even small improvements are welcome) rather then writing Readme that possible 80% of people will not read anyway....(another thing is some are not reading and asking same questions over and over again :stars: ).

As I know from my own experience writing readme is the worst part of making a mod...at least for me - I wrote once readme - explaining an idea of moded aircraft AH-6C - then I received a message that AH-6 looks different way...Yes G/F/M looks different But I've made AH-6C so meaning someone is stupid enough not to see a title of mod and thing that I've made C! So I wasted time writing readme because someone didn't get the idea... Anyway.

Different story with payware. There if something is not working...it should have some technical support.  But here - all is free...

So, learn how, when and why...trial and error rather than complaining that someone forgot to put a sound file, fake pilot mod or small decal..

@1Patriot-of-many this post is not directed to you..just generally to someone. 

Regards and have a good day/evening folks. 

And I haven't had a bad day - quite ok although a little bit windy. 

• Like 3

There is also a knowledge base.

• Thanks 1