You have to learn yourself for the most part ............this series started what around 2002 with the Wallmart SF Project 1 so some people were on this for years.

TK has given out small bits  of information in the past but it depends what part of modding you want to do.

It helps if you have some computer literacy because you need to edit, move and save files on a Windows based OS. A lot of things can be done in Notepad pretty easily but may still take time and effort.

If you want to do skins you need to learn to do them using a package like GIMP/Photoshop so need to learn about those.

To do 3D models you need to spend a lot of time learning how to do that.

Flight models - although ini edits really need some understanding of aero here - again not something you can pick up easily.

Then writing your own tools needs full on programming skills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

Did you guys get guidance somewhere from ThirdWire or did you just pick up on the modding on your own?

Well between those two options there is, of course, the kind-hearted folk here at Combat Ace!

We all had to start somewhere and I came here when I hit my first problems but suddenly, specific to what I like to do with the game, it all clicks! 

• Like 4

Most of us just figured it out independently, which is why there are so very few modders competent in the most complicated tasks (it requires time to learn and be any good, even with guidance from old hands) and being a choosy beggar is very poorly received (we've had drama and modders quitting over this bullshit).

• Like 1

the knowledge base has alot of good information for the more basic skills like ini edits (for weapons, skins, decals and some FM edits), skinning, decal making and light campaign edits (changing units or planes)

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/99-thirdwire-strike-fighters-knowledge-base/

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/

the simplest basics covered in the strike fighters knowledge base still apply in SF2, so it is good to read up in there as well. differences specific to SF2 are sprinkled through the second knowledge base.

also compare notes with whatever you are trying to do with previous work, be it decal placement on a given plane, weapon station adjustment or whatever. it wont likely be a cut and dried answer, but will help lead you to the answer you want.

• Like 1

But feel warned, it's addicting  :biggrin:.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, guuruu said:

But feel warned, it's addicting  :biggrin:.

and frustrating as well , if you spent days to find the reason why your mod is not working like it should

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

and frustrating as well , if you spent days to find the reason why your mod is not working like it should

So ... if you have family .. or dog .. or cat... better leave it ;-) Nah, joking ... however if you want to mod something, find the best sources you can and do it with 120% of your abilities.

Other way you will need 3 times more of time for corrections.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, guuruu said:

So ... if you have family .. or dog .. or cat... better leave it ;-) Nah, joking ... however if you want to mod something, find the best sources you can and do it with 120% of your abilities.

Other way you will need 3 times more of time for corrections.

yup. i find my time being about 45% research, 45% setting up initial templates of how things should be laid out, and 10% making all the rest of the mod.

My respect for mod authors here really deepened when I learned how much money the program used to make aircraft cost. It says a lot that someone would spend that much money and time to create something and then share it for a community of interested ones to use and improve their versions of SF to use.