Hi all,

I am new to this business of creating mods and whatnot, but i was messing around the ArmorDave's F-105G and trying to answer myself "what if those aircraft remained in service long after Vietnam?", and i pretty much got some success on it. Thing is, i really wanted to make use of another paint scheme other than that SEA TO 1-1-4 it always have, but i didn't find and skin/templates for this specific mod.

It may be a tall order asking for, but i really want to go further on this little creation of mine and, maybe, publishing it later on. Could you guys help me on that?

Sabre1BR,

I like the idea of extending the life of the F-015G.  Possibly sold/given to other countries after use in Vietnam.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a template for this plane here.  Possibly someone made one of their own or has an original from years back stashed somewhere in their computer.

You can of course make your own template if this idea means that much to you.  You will need an art program like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Gimp, etc...

Good luck.

• Like 1

There are no templates out for the F-105G.

There are 2 chances you have.

Contact original creator of the Skins (Sundowner), Maybe you are lucky. He still got the temps and share with you Maybe.

or, check the F-105D temps if they are somehow compatible with the "G"

or make one of your own based on the Skins you have , it is not such a big deal but it takes time

• Like 1

ArmorDave's mapping is completly different from the 3W F-105s.

The only solution is to re-template them yourself

You don't have to remake the whole thing. Probably it is easier to use Armourdave's F-105D templates and modify them. The images below show the F-105G lod with my unfinished F-105D wrap-around textures. The wings, horizontal stabs, as well as the front and rear fuselage are the same as on the G. The middle part of the fuselage and a few bits on the vertical stab need some work. Compare the available skins and use Mue's lod viewer, you'll see the differences.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

the links below are not templates but should be useful. the F will have decal location entries for Armourdaves F (similar to the G) and the Hill skins will have the Euro 1, SEA wraparound and a desert scheme as worn by one each aircraft with the 466th TFW at Hill AFB before retirement in 1984.

The Gs were used by the Georgia ANG until around 1983 (this is before coffee as usual: dates not exact). They were commended for making a European training deployment despite at one point having to stand down all the aircraft for maintenence.  They were also in Service at George AFB until 1978 or 79 when the F-4Gs were coming on line.

Hill should have the colors and rough patterns needed.

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 2

Hey guys,

First of all, i can't thank you all enough for the support on this little project of mine, i'll make my best for the effort pay off on this! By the way, quotation time:

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, charlielima said:

Euro or green lizard next ?

CL

Well, i was actually going around for either a NM finish or some Desert Camouflage (such as the 3W Phantoms use in the Dhimar-Paran map), but I found out that modifying the original skin would've become very silly and it might not get into what i wanted, so yeah; But either of those greenier camos would be really nice as well!

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, Blade said:

You don't have to remake the whole thing. Probably it is easier to use Armourdave's F-105D templates and modify them. The images below show the F-105G lod with my unfinished F-105D wrap-around textures. The wings, horizontal stabs, as well as the front and rear fuselage are the same as on the G. The middle part of the fuselage and a few bits on the vertical stab need some work. Compare the available skins and use Mue's lod viewer, you'll see the differences.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Wow, that looks really great though! That said, i really thought that the wings would look a little off, as the real-life aircraft had those modified, right? Well, guess that's another story. I'll see what i can do with this template, cheers  :good:

For the rest of the people who i didn't get a proper reply, once again I thank for the support, i'll do my best to make sure you all won't be disappointed with it!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, charlielima said:

Desert lizard ?

CL

I guess  that would be more of a creative license than an actual thing, but, well, as this is a "what-if" scenario that would be something to consider

5 hours ago, charlielima said:

Desert lizard ?

CL

The Thuds in desert and euro camo look really cool.

6144489655_dbd9b44a46_b.jpg6145065426_8eeee61c58_b.jpg

Edited by Blade
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Blade said:

The Thuds in desert and euro camo look really cool.

6144489655_dbd9b44a46_b.jpg6145065426_8eeee61c58_b.jpg

They sure do look lovely, i'll see what i can do with it in a bit!

3 hours ago, charlielima said:

And what if the THUDs lasted this long ?

image.thumb.png.5665d4e6512cb80fc10102afa548f1d6.pngimage.png.f26c0ab6de00313dcc69e7daf478acba.png

Which year were these SLUFs serving with this specific ANG paint schemes? they look nice, also the ones on Euro I seems great, looking forward to try and skin them in. Problem is, i ain't really used to skinning aircraft, so they might not look as beautiful as these :P Worth to give a try though

Good afternoon, folks,

I managed to make a skin from the template you guys got me, there they are:

img00003.thumb.JPG.fe2c50f1168f3f229713aee5fc64d3b5.JPG

Also notice that i was messing around with it's data.ini so it can carry AGMs and Guided Bombs (both eletro-optical and laser-guided), although the loadout.ini of it is already set to use TW's default weapons

img00002.thumb.JPG.25cdcce6e8bccabf70177dbb92e1c07b.JPG

img00001.thumb.JPG.d1014c5291d048cfef5439af70ea9358.JPG

Only thing i need to work properly is the decals, but i can't make them appear properly on the aircraft; so, as a placeholder, i'm using the games default F-105 tail numbers.

Can some of you give me a light on this? Would be much appreciated ;)

• Like 3

how are they not working properly exactly? not appearing at all, not right size, there are many issues that prevent the decals working right. in ini check filepath (everyone makes simple dumb mistakes on this, myself averaging 3 per project), that the desired file is in the right folder, and the decallevel is correct (=2 for serial numbers)

as to location on plane, locations should roughly match the F that i skinned (see post above), but meshnames may be different from F to G. use mues lodviewer to verify both  you have the stock numbers on, have you considered changing to unit markng decals when you get the issue resolved?

Edited by daddyairplanes
read before coffee

5 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

how are they not working properly exactly? not appearing at all, not right size, there are many issues that prevent the decals working right. in ini check filepath (everyone makes simple dumb mistakes on this, myself averaging 3 per project), that the desired file is in the right folder, and the decallevel is correct (=2 for serial numbers)

as to location on plane, locations should roughly match the F that i skinned (see post above), but meshnames may be different from F to G. use mues lodviewer to verify both  you have the stock numbers on, have you considered changing to unit markng decals when you get the issue resolved?

I managed to make it work properly now, it was some sort of compression which rendered them "invisible", here they are now (i still need to get a put them a little bit lower, but so far so good)

img00006.thumb.JPG.a6b5722c7bf30feeffa3150a052bd104.JPG 

I'm also using 3W's default fuel tanks, since the ones specified to the original F-105G only comes in SEA camouflage, and as I wanted to make other skins from this that's what i've came up with.

img00005.thumb.JPG.289e2336018e22e588e81e0582afbb0b.JPG 

Edited by Sabre1BR
  • Like 3

Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of updates on this project of mine, as graduation and some other stuff did carry me away from this for a while.

I managed to make two more skins for the aircraft - Hill Grey I and II, based around Alabama ANG's F-4D. Those units operated a Pave Spike/Maverick setup by that point, so i figured representing them on a Strike mission would look somewhat fitting.

Still need to work on the decals and fuel tank's textures, but i sense most of the job on skinning is pretty much done.

There they are:

img00007.thumb.JPG.12e711ece3d6a5505ebf36ff36d394c9.JPG

img00008.thumb.JPG.96c5aa2074251848f318f2ee71656180.JPG

img00010.thumb.JPG.aaa30bba4e9006321d5c0da73f3c8498.JPG

img00009.thumb.JPG.9ced44c3f6c5c5852eb9b074f3b71fd0.JPG

I'll update this thread as soon as I'm able to make those textures and decals look as smooth as possible, so keep na eye out here! :ok:

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] F-105D 'Shalakh' (Osprey) for SF2
      F-105D for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-105D Thunderchief to give a fictional F-105D 'Shalakh' (Osprey) of the Israeli Air Force with markings for;
      107 Squadron - 'The Knights of the Orange Tail' 
      119 Squadron - 'The Bat' 
      253 Squadron - 'The Negev' 
      This should work in any SF2 game featuring the stock Third Wire F-105D but has only been tested in a merged install of SF2/SF2V/SF2E/SF2I.

BACKSTORY
      During the early 1960's Defence Secretary Robert S. McNamara and his team of whiz-kids were on a mission to streamline the US defence budget with 'commonality' being their main area of focus. With the F-4 Phantom now being procured for the USAF as well as for the USN and USMC and with the TFX (F-111) project promising further cost savings it appeared that the two aircraft had the home tactical fighter market covered. So it was no surprise when in October 1963 Republic Aviation were formally ordered to cease further development of the F-105 Thunderchief and to stop production after the current batch of F-105D's and F-105F's.
      In early 1964 the Heyl Ha'Avir (Israeli Air Force) were looking for a replacement for the Vautour tactical bomber and openly expressed a preference for the UK's Blackburn Buccaneer. With the end of the Thunderchief production line looming, and with no follow-on project in the immediate pipeline, Republic Aviation proposed a modified version of the Thunderchief F-105D to the Heyl Ha'Avir at a very attractive price and this was eagerly accepted. 
      With the last USAF F-105D's and F-105F's going through the door production continued with the main production batch of 100 F-105D-35RE aircraft (essentially similar to the F-105D-31-RE but with some Heyl Ha'Avir specified equipment) and powered by the Pratt & Whitney J75-P20W engine rated at 26,500lbs of thrust with reheat. Deliveries of the first F-105D-35-RE aircraft to Israel began in early 1967 and the type soon gained the local name of 'Shalakh' (Osprey). As a happy consequence, the USAF ordered more F-105D's and F-105F's as attrition replacements for Vietnam and this kept the Thunderchief production line open until December 1968. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-105Didf folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-105Didf folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - January 23rd, 2024.

Submitter Spinners Submitted 10/19/2009 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      F-105D for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-105D Thunderchief to give a fictional F-105D 'Shalakh' (Osprey) of the Israeli Air Force with markings for;
      107 Squadron - 'The Knights of the Orange Tail' 
      119 Squadron - 'The Bat' 
      253 Squadron - 'The Negev' 
      This should work in any SF2 game featuring the stock Third Wire F-105D but has only been tested in a merged install of SF2/SF2V/SF2E/SF2I.

BACKSTORY
      During the early 1960's Defence Secretary Robert S. McNamara and his team of whiz-kids were on a mission to streamline the US defence budget with 'commonality' being their main area of focus. With the F-4 Phantom now being procured for the USAF as well as for the USN and USMC and with the TFX (F-111) project promising further cost savings it appeared that the two aircraft had the home tactical fighter market covered. So it was no surprise when in October 1963 Republic Aviation were formally ordered to cease further development of the F-105 Thunderchief and to stop production after the current batch of F-105D's and F-105F's.
      In early 1964 the Heyl Ha'Avir (Israeli Air Force) were looking for a replacement for the Vautour tactical bomber and openly expressed a preference for the UK's Blackburn Buccaneer. With the end of the Thunderchief production line looming, and with no follow-on project in the immediate pipeline, Republic Aviation proposed a modified version of the Thunderchief F-105D to the Heyl Ha'Avir at a very attractive price and this was eagerly accepted. 
      With the last USAF F-105D's and F-105F's going through the door production continued with the main production batch of 100 F-105D-35RE aircraft (essentially similar to the F-105D-31-RE but with some Heyl Ha'Avir specified equipment) and powered by the Pratt & Whitney J75-P20W engine rated at 26,500lbs of thrust with reheat. Deliveries of the first F-105D-35-RE aircraft to Israel began in early 1967 and the type soon gained the local name of 'Shalakh' (Osprey). As a happy consequence, the USAF ordered more F-105D's and F-105F's as attrition replacements for Vietnam and this kept the Thunderchief production line open until December 1968. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-105Didf folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-105Didf folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - January 23rd, 2024.

• By macmacmacmoc
      ive seen people have the M118 bomb on their F-105s but i cant seem to find where to download it. could someone link it please?
    • By Spinners

View File [Fictional] Republic F-105D Thunderchief - West Germany
      Republic F-105D-5RE Thunderchief for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-105D to create a fictional West German Thunderchief in the 1962-1967 timeline. A USAF skin is also included for joint operations!

BACKSTORY
      When Kennedy and Khrushchev first met at the Vienna Summit in June 1961 there was hope of better relations between the USA and the Soviet Union but in the weeks that followed these hopes faded when the Soviet Union proposed a treaty between Moscow and East Berlin leading to Kennedy countering with a clear statement that any treaty interfering with U.S. access rights in West Berlin would be regarded as an act of war. Upon his return to the USA, Kennedy's advisors told him that Khrushchev was still planning to sign a treaty with East Berlin and advocated an immediate military build-up in Europe including the deployment of the new Republic F-105D's of the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing and the 49th Tactical Fighter Wing with both wings having a primary tactical nuclear strike role.
      The erection of the Berlin Wall in August 1961 caused Kennedy more anxiety and among a raft of actions he authorised the immediate transfer of 36 F-105D's to the German Air Force with most aircraft coming from the 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron based at Eglin Air Force Base. Entering service in October 1961 with Jagdbombergeschwader 31 at Nörvenich the F-105D's replaced the Republic F-84F Thunderstreak and were operated until late 1967 when the Wing began to receive the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-105D-5RE folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-105D-5RE folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!
      The F-105D-5RE designation is used to prevent conflict with any other F-105D's you may have in your install.

CREDITS
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - 24/11/2022
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 11/24/2022 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      Republic F-105D-5RE Thunderchief for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-105D to create a fictional West German Thunderchief in the 1962-1967 timeline. A USAF skin is also included for joint operations!

BACKSTORY
      When Kennedy and Khrushchev first met at the Vienna Summit in June 1961 there was hope of better relations between the USA and the Soviet Union but in the weeks that followed these hopes faded when the Soviet Union proposed a treaty between Moscow and East Berlin leading to Kennedy countering with a clear statement that any treaty interfering with U.S. access rights in West Berlin would be regarded as an act of war. Upon his return to the USA, Kennedy's advisors told him that Khrushchev was still planning to sign a treaty with East Berlin and advocated an immediate military build-up in Europe including the deployment of the new Republic F-105D's of the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing and the 49th Tactical Fighter Wing with both wings having a primary tactical nuclear strike role.
      The erection of the Berlin Wall in August 1961 caused Kennedy more anxiety and among a raft of actions he authorised the immediate transfer of 36 F-105D's to the German Air Force with most aircraft coming from the 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron based at Eglin Air Force Base. Entering service in October 1961 with Jagdbombergeschwader 31 at Nörvenich the F-105D's replaced the Republic F-84F Thunderstreak and were operated until late 1967 when the Wing began to receive the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-105D-5RE folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-105D-5RE folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!
      The F-105D-5RE designation is used to prevent conflict with any other F-105D's you may have in your install.

CREDITS
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - 24/11/2022

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..