Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

Question About Ship Damage Models

Ships carry stuff.  Sometimes, by their nature, the stuff carried can make a huge difference if the ship is attacked.  For example, there is a big difference if a ship is carrying gasoline compared to troops.

Given that the ships seen in EAW comprise many different types, is there any provision for differentiating between the types depending on the cargo/stores being carried, and the type of attacking weapon?

In one instance, a troopship if struck by a bomb might catch on fire from items on board burning, not the least of which would be fuel oil, always present.  On the other hand, a cargo ship carrying 500 Lb. bombs might well display secondary detonations of its' cargo which would quickly dwarf the primary impact.

The possible scenarios are rather finite.  Troop ships/Cargo ships/Fuel tanker ships/various warships.  It should be noted (as in the similar Bomber Damage Model thread I posted here) that MG bullets will not usually detonate bombs, as the casing is sufficiently stout to discourage full penetration.  However, explosive cannon shells could well set of a single bomb, thus initiating a chain reaction amongst the other bombs.  fuel tankers need no elaboration.

It strikes me that each type of ship, ideally, should have its' own "hit bubble" which in turn is described by the type of cargo it's carrying.  Moreover, the effects of certain hits on certain ships should likewise be quite different.  It's very likely that certain ships, carrying "dangerous cargo" were placed in certain positions within the convoy.  Perhaps if the ship "Hit bubble" can be manipulated, it might be done with regard to such placement of ships in the convoy.

Please allow me to mention that if this thread is seriously de-railed, or there are untoward personal attacks made in it, I will ask that the thread be locked, and that the Moderator take any further actions he/she sees fit.  I am tired of this happening, and I will not be even an unwilling part of such behavior.

Submitted for discussion.

Added, since I am no longer able to edit the Original Post.

This very long, and highly detailed original source seems to contain within it the answers to many convoy-related questions: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Admin-Hist/011-Convoy/011-Convoy-3.html

It appears that the usual practice was to segregate the fuel ships , the troop ships, and the general cargo convoys into separate convoys.  Aside from the "hit bubble" of an individual ship, based on its' cargo, the "general" convoys might require some attention, as some of their ships would certainly be carrying ammunition.

In the absence of original, direct information, common sense says that the ammunition ships would be emplaced towards the  least vulnerable part of the convoy, that being the middle.  That said, given the consequences of their being hit, such ships would likely be towards the center, rear of the convoy.  That being the case, fewer un-hit ships would need to evade a stricken ship, and the damaged ships would not long illuminate the convoy whilst they were exploding.

I will provide further info as I come across it, but what is currently available is probably sufficient to provide the basis for an answer to the question posed in the Original Post. 

Each object in EAW has it own hitbubble, size and armour values. There can be ammunition or oil carrying ships which can produce a larger explosion when destroyed, there is however no parameter for the cargo they're carrying or wether such cargo has been unloaded already. If there would be troopships or one of the existing models would have been designated as such dead bodies and lifevests can be made to appear floating in the water, such has already been done long ago in Pacific Tide III. It wouldn't be easy to incorporate all possible scenarios into a single addon though but it can be done. The big question though is if anyone is willing to take on such a project.

VonBeerhofen

Ribob, all of your suggestions have already been incorporated into the target upgrade package called ETO2015.

Some ships catch fire, and then sink or list to one side. Fuel ships explode,burn and then sink. Ammo ships blow up and leave nothing behind.

In addition, some freighters have planes, truck or jeeps on deck that can be targeted. Plus most ships have visible AA on deck which is also targetable.

You really should give that scenario a go if you want a target rich environment. Just watch those German hospitals because some of them are actually AA sites!