Hi,  on flying any plane I find that the ruder acts like I'm sidescrolling when I select EASY in the options panel. When I select NORMAL, as soon as I center it the plane goes back to the initial heading  (like it was on a ruber band) I use the Saitek AV8R stick....

Is it normal?  Thank you in advance

Yes, it's normal, you don't return exactly at the same heading and it depends on your airspeed. The NORMAL behaviour is closer to the real thing.

Oh, by the way, it's spelt "rudder". :biggrin:

• Like 1

even I had to laugh at the title.. :biggrin:

it's now been edited, with the spelling corrected!!!  

-----

yes, since Day 1, the rudder has been "odd" more like as described a stretchy rubber band. Just how the game is, I guess

• Like 1

Flying a plane is not the same as driving a car (I do both), principally because of both inertia and friction.

Inertia is the tendency to stay put, or (if you are moving) to keep going in the same direction. Friction is what slows you down.

Heavy objects moving fast have greater inertia than lighter objects moving slowly, and air provides much less friction than a road surface.

Imagine driving your car at 200-300 mph on an icy road. If you turn the steering wheel, you might turn the nose of the car a little and think you have changed direction, but your car will keep going in pretty much the same direction - you will just be skidding along the road.

Same in an aircraft. Air is slippery, like the icy road. If you apply the rudder you might turn your heading a bit and think you are going in a different direction, but inertia will keep the aircraft going in your original direction. You will just be flying crabwise.

The rudder works OK at low speeds (because the aircraft's inertia is not as great as at high speeds), but to turn at high airspeeds the ailerons are the things you need.

Thank you for your answers.

I'm glad I provided amusement to some of you, and as for the English purists out there, consider that not everybody is a native born English speaker......

1 hour ago, sebaspons said:

Thank you for your answers.

I'm glad I provided amusement to some of you, and as for the English purists out there, consider that not everybody is a native born English speaker......

I am a native born English speaker and could very easily make such an error, too. I wasn't laughing at your English, which is quite good, but at the fact that your little mistake, very small in itself, just happened to provide a very funny alternative meaning. 👍

Edited by Sky High
  • Like 2

Again me. Yesterday I was waiting for takeoff with the engine off, and I tested the rudder. To my surprise, the plane rotated on its axis till it faced the initial position.  I wonder if this is how the game is supposed to work, or for the contrary it is my joyjtick's  fault.  Does anybody-else have this problem?  I have the setting at easy....