Menrva

Comments vs. Get Support

I happen to see various users post questions and ask for troubleshooting in the comments section of a mod download, instead of properly using the associated thread aka Get Support. Just a suggestion for future site updates; wouldn't it be better to remove the comments section so that users ask questions where they should? It seems there's this sort of ambiguity as to what purpose both the comments section and the thread have; to me it's actually clear, but for newcomers it isn't.

• Like 2

Comments: I really like this mod the skin is very accurate.

Get Support: The package won't install as intended.

I don't want to remove either. If people post support in comments ignore them or direct them to use the support link. I know it's a pain but I think removing functionality because people don't understand the difference between comments and support is not our best option. With a global membership lots of decisions like these are hard to make. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Why people cant ask something directly under the file which they just downloaded? as to me i do not like to clone themes and i check comments under my files only.

I don't understand. Clone what themes? 

For example, we have post Beriev A-50 Mainstay 1.0.0

What the reson to do the same theme in Forum section to ask the question if i can ask under this aircraft?

Support forums are designed for support and allow people to search the same question someone else might have asked because they are indexed. Comments sections are none of those things. That is the intended design to help modders keep things organized and lessen their work load. 

• Like 3

I would like, wherever you decide the comments should stay, more implication from veteran members in offering help and answer the questions that people ask. Look how many questions were not answered as time went by in all the forums.

• Like 1

I don't think anywhere on the site members are excluded from participating whether you're a modder or not. That includes forum discussions and support threads. It's always about inclusion.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:33 AM, UllyB said:

I would like, wherever you decide the comments should stay, more implication from veteran members in offering help and answer the questions that people ask. Look how many questions were not answered as time went by in all the forums.

not 100% sure what you mean by implication, but imho many old heads around here are either 1) tired of answering essentially the same question over and over (the particular mod might be different, but the issue is often similar to one asked and answered in the past with other mods) and 2) many might be saying to themselves "i wont answer because i'm not gonna be nice about it". ties in with number 1, and also the tone at times of the one asking (lord knows thats me often). we try to be civil here, but it is still the internet.

that said i agree with Erik, if one hunts one can find many answers, files and other things posted here over the course of 2 decades worth of Biohazard/CombatAce. so while maybe misplaced the posts can still be useful in some fashion

• Like 1

This is why I think veterans should implicate, even if they are tired of answering questions: sometimes a problem you search to fix , it's not exactly the standard one it's changed somehow, so only an experienced one knows that. What I am saying is that searching hundreds of pages where olders answered questions , is not gonna solve your problem. I give you an example: I was looking to find out how to switch between the two cockpits of an Mi-24 helo. All told me that some keys are the ones, but it was not that the whole solution to the issue. The only one that asnwered was a guy who bumped , once, into this issue and saw my question. He told me that I had to implement a line in the dataini file, in order that the key would work when changing the cockpits. That's what I am talking about. Experience makes the difference in solving issues you bump in, so veterans implication is very important.