Sign in to follow this  
don246

Decal question

With the decals do I just put the D folder in the appropriate plane decals folder or do I take the texture folders out of the D folder and put them in the folder ?

Hope I have explained ok.

Hello, 

Just follow this order for SF2

Annotation 2019-03-23 192816.png

Annotation 2019-03-23 192838.png

Annotation 2019-03-23 192853.png

Annotation 2019-03-23 192914.png

and for SF1 I think you just but the all Decals folder without the D folder.  I Think

Edited by gkabs
  • Like 2

D folders usually all go into the "Decals" folder, but also worth double-checking is the decals.ini file located within the relevant skin or textures folder that resides within the aircraft folder itself - this usually gives clues or points in the right direction of where proper folder locations should be for the "D" folder.

For example, below is an entry found in one of my skins folders inside the late Albatros D.II aircraft folder:

FilenameFormat=AlbatrosD1/D/AlbD1Numbers/AD1Numbers

This indicates that I should have a folder inside my "Decals" folder called AlbatrosD1, and then inside that folder, as you can see from the hierarchy, you have a nested D folder, a numbers folder, and numbers themselves. I sometimes share the same aircraft decals folder among several aircraft, as noticeable in my example above where the late Alb. D.II calls up the Alb. D.I decals folder.

If you are flying lots of FE aircraft in FE2, you will have to tinker with some of those folder paths in your Decals.ini file, to make the decals show up. I've included some decals.ini files with a few aircraft, in my FM update pack, for aircraft that were very pesky to sort out for proper decal positioning, size of decals, etc. (such as the Siemens-Schuckert D.III by A-Team...took me a while to sort that decals.ini file - a lot of the names in many of the decals files don't point to obvious things). Many of the older FE aircraft don't even have folders that should be dropped into the Decals folder, only a local skin/texture folder that sits within the aircraft folder itself, so that can save a lot of time and hassle.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

• Like 3

also, if it's a very early work (early and mid-2000s), check that the

DecalMaxLOD=

line is present in each statement. Many don't have them and in the "2" series games, need them. The usual number is 3, even if the aircraft only has one lod. 

This tutorial might also be of some help, albeit more SF2-ish, but still pertinent!

• Like 2

I have found so many decals in the ini pointing to the wrong folder have got some of them sorted, I noticed the DecalMaxLOD= can be 3 or 4 or 5 in some cases I just leave them alone.

Thank you guys for your help, this FE2 would put a lot of new flyers off pity it was not poss to upload a Aircraft and decals folders with the say Western front planes in them.