So the Photoshop 6.0 that I may, or may not have legally acquired, back in my college days, and has faithfully served me on many a computer, will not install on my new Win 10 box.

What versions are you guys using? I'm fine purchasing, but all I see on Adobe's website is monthly plans. 

i used PS on the yearly subscription until almost two years ago. been using Gimp since i let my CS Student edition go and since all im doing is SF2 modding for the most part it gets me along just fine. as well as being free.

V-6.0 here though for most of my stuff I use Paintshop Pro 7.4 only use PS for doing tga`s and some effects

I have another desktop and a laptop that I can continue to use 6.0 on.

I rent it monthly, Ten dollars for use on two computers. All updates when available.

I have version 7 that I used for years but now I'd rather use the latest version.  More functions.

Guess it's a matter of what you get used to.

• Like 1

I used Photoshop 7 till October 2018,

then i got a new (very powerful) PC and it does no more work.

Now I use Photoshop CS2. It´s a free download and works good for me...

I use the current Photoshop CC through a yearly subscription. Theres some sort of Photographers-Package bundled with Adobe Lightroom for 12EUR/Month. Photoshop alone would be more expensive.

I also have Photoshop CS3 installed for some older PlugIns, that don't work on CC or PS 64bit.

Afaik the "free" CS2 was intended to be free only for people, that bought a current version. Nevertheless, my CS3 was also "free" somehow... :biggrin:

I'm using a mix of Paint.NET (for 95% of the work, and it's free) and Photoshop CC (the monthly version) for the rest (mostly TGA work - Paint.NET sucks at it - and converting modern PSD templates to be read by Paint.NET - there's a PSD plugin but it doesn't play well with files from beyond version 7.x).

Be aware that the modern Photoshop interface and keyboard layout is radically different from what you're used to, it might be a pain to adapt at first.

I once copied a preinstalled Photoshop 6.0 folder to a Windows 7 computer, Made shortcut which was set to "XP compatibility" and it worked fine. Maybe that also works in windows 10?

I'm kind of going through that too. Can't find my PS6 or PS7 install exes (admittedly, PS7 was a "gift" from a friend). So, when the HD croaked in December, and I installed the new on, I just did a copy/paste of both folders. Now, PS7 won't even start.  Still on Win 7.

also, does anyone remember where the "flood tool" (paint bucket) is? I can't find it!!

1 hour ago, gerwin said:

I once copied a preinstalled Photoshop 6.0 folder to a Windows 7 computer, Made shortcut which was set to "XP compatibility" and it worked fine. Maybe that also works in windows 10?

I will give it a try. I'm too old to learn a new tool. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Wrench said:

also, does anyone remember where the "flood tool" (paint bucket) is? I can't find it!!

The bucket (Füllwerkzeug) is grouped together with the Gradient-tool (Verlaufswerkzeug in german) in newer versions.

Edit: You can also arrange the menu according to your needs and have it ungrouped in newer versions.

Bucket.jpg.d8e42b77e355a5ab6d087ae14259bdc0.jpg

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Thanks 1

I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 and a nice little AlphaConverter execute to make the tga files work properly. PSP9 will produce PS files.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LloydNB said:

I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 and a nice little AlphaConverter execute to make the tga files work properly. PSP9 will produce PS files.

i use the Paint Shop pro X3 and with the the TGA Tool and the Nvidia nomal map filter i´m able to make all my Templates , Skins and Tga´s , i try the photoshop 6.0 but i was not happy with it

On 3/26/2019 at 1:11 PM, gerwin said:

That worked man. Thanks so much.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. But as a layman I have a question: What are the advantages of photoshop over gimp?

10 hours ago, JSF_Aggie said:

That worked man. Thanks so much.

Good to hear that it also works in Windows 10.

9 hours ago, mue said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread. But as a layman I have a question: What are the advantages of photoshop over gimp?

Can tell a lot about old Photoshop 6.0 from 2001. Even had to learn it at school back then. It is still very practical. The limitation is that it is weak with natural brush effects and Wacom tablet tilt support.  But cannot compare it to Gimp, as I do not use that.