Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

The Last of the Canberra B(I).8's

English Electric Canberra B(I)8 - No.148 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1965

In 1963, with the Mark 2 versions of the Vulcan and Victor becoming the spearhead of Bomber Command, four Valiant squadrons (49, 148, 207 and 214) were assigned to SACEUR forming a powerful strike wing based at Marham in Norfolk. But during the summer of 1964 fatigue cracks were discovered in the front and rear wing spars of several aircraft and whilst serious consideration was given to a rebuild programme the estimated unit cost of this was close to the original price of a Valiant so the rebuild programme was ruled out. However, when further cracks were discovered the RAF reluctantly grounded the Valiant in December 1964. In January 1965, this lead to Denis Healey (Minister of Defence) declaring that the Valiant situation was "causing considerable embarrassment for us with our NATO allies" and that an interim solution was urgently being sought "to restore our missing strike power and commitment to SACEUR".

The interim solution announced by Denis Healey on January 23rd, 1965 was that the Valiant squadrons would re-equip with new English Electric Canberra B(I).8's. A new batch of 60 Canberra B(I).8's was ordered and, fortunately, the Samlesbury production line had only been inactive (except for conversions) since February 1964 when the final Canberra B(I).12 for South Africa was rolled out so reactivation was quick and relatively inexpensive. The grounded Valiant squadrons were hastily issued with Canberra T.4's, Canberra B.6's and a handful of B(I).8's so that aircrew could convert to the type and remain current until their new aircraft arrived. Finished in anti-flash white and powered by Rolls-Royce Avon RA.7 engines, the Canberra's of the Marham strike wing were initially armed with American Mk28 (B-61) free-fall tactical nuclear bombs before switching to the UK WE.177B in late 1966. The Canberra B(I).8's remained in service until 1974 when they were replaced by Buccaneer GR.3's.

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.01_zpsvjmzd8xi.jpg

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.02_zpsle8molyq.jpg

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.03_zps012dskhl.jpg

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.04_zpsnllmojwa.jpg

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.06_zpsh27a37gm.jpg

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.05_zpshzicmryj.jpg

RAF%20CANBERRA%20B8.07_zpsxtqy3xcm.jpg

Edited by Spinners
  • Like 8