Sign in to follow this  
Nightshade/PR

F-21 for India?

Interesting.

It's a supped up F-16...why are they calling it an F-21? I appreciate what they're doing but would that not be insulting to some people. Installing a few extra things and calling it a new plane when in fact it's just a heavily upgraded F-16?

By contrast, the United States appeared to make fewer fighter types. After all, as of early 2019 only the F-15, F-16, F/A-18 and F-35 were in production at American factories. And three of the types first appeared in the 1970s or 1980s. The American tendency to cling to old designations created that false impression. In reality, U.S. companies in early 2019 produced at least six modern fighters types.

In my mind a new coat of paint, a modification, or some other upgrade doesn't make it a new aircraft. Yes there's a difference between an F/A-18 and F/A-18 Super Hornet ... but they're still F-18s in my mind. Or maybe I'm just old fashioned.

No matter what they designate it, it still remains an F-16.Chances of it being selected a negligible.

Among the jets in fray, the only realistic contenders are the Rafale and the F/A-18E/F. The IAF will be receiving its first of 36 Rafales from France later this year.  Chances are the IAF will be acquiring some 20 odd mothballed MiG-29s, upgraded to IAF's MiG-29UPG from Russia.

I think the goal is to distance it somewhat from the F-16, since that's what Pakistan operates.

Additionally, I think Lockheed Martin also mentioned that if the "F-21" is picked, it might open up opportunities for India to purchase the F-35 in the future, since the India-Russian FGFA has essentially fallen through.

There is no way the US government would ever allow the sale of the F-35 to India.

22 minutes ago, CowboyTodd41 said:

There is no way the US government would ever allow the sale of the F-35 to India.

Well... I don't know ... you would think one of the most advanced fighters wouldn't be for sale. Money is money for some people.

1 hour ago, CowboyTodd41 said:

I would definitely agree, but Lockheed seems to think it's possible, as evidenced the  "India's Pathway to F-35" slogan they were using according to this article:

https://www.businessinsider.com/lockheed-martin-unveils-f21-fighter-jet-to-compete-for-india-contract-2019-2

1 hour ago, Skyviper said:

Well... I don't know ... you would think one of the most advanced fighters wouldn't be for sale. Money is money for some people.

To be fair, the F-35 was partially intended for export from the start in a similar vein to the F-16.  However, that doesn't mean we should sell it to everyone of course, especially considering India's tendency to purchase Russian equipment.  Also, if the US does follow through and ban Turkey from purchasing the F-35 for purchasing the S-400, it would be hypocritical to turn around and let India buy the F-35, considering they plan on operating the S-400 soon as well.

To be honest, to some ordinary guy in the street, it looks like a F-16 with bits added on. !!!! 

Well okay it is an advance on a F-16.

If it wasn't for the fact hat India seems to have a thing about operating a myriad of diverse platforms from pretty much everywhere I'd immediately count this out, they already ordered Rafales... logic would dictate more Rafales... 

Surely that trend will continue and they wont stop until they have one jet from every nation they can buy from.:stars:

I think there is more chance of me owning an F-21 than India buying them. But you never know because due to that sneaky designation change even I can believe it is an entirely new aircraft..........just paint some Indian roundels on it.......will never know.

• Haha 1