SF2 Cold War Prop and Flogger FM Tweaks

Hello SF2 Flyers,

For the post-WW2 prop. high-performance aircraft, several tweaks have been applied to the data inis, ranging from lift values for wings and wing tips to the engine section, prop. rpms, flight control section, gears section, flaps, also empty weight, inertia values, ceilings, engine sounds, rudder reversal effect fix, aileron/elevator/rudder sensitivity and movement, etc., depending on the type tweaked. Tweaks are not as extensive as for my FE2 work - but I've tried to get them into the "90% realistic enough" category for SF2 since these high-performance types are difficult to precision peg to within a km or two of historical stats., in contrast to the slower-moving FE2 types. Also included with this package are my minor data ini tweaks for several Flogger types, such as the MiG-23 S, early M, ML, P, MLA, late variant "98," and export variants MF and MS.

Many thanks to the original FM modders for the late prop. types, including Baffmeister, Wrench, Cocas, MontyCZ, Charles of A-Team, Coupi, Paolopanz, and others I may not have mentioned here. The data inis are for SF2 installs only, tested at hard FM settings (no guarantees that the AI can land them nicely, although they fly them just fine). The Me109 G5 and H0 are variants on the stock G10 package provided on CombatAce (to install simply copy the relevant aircraft folders, rename as per my included folders, and drop in the relevant files). P-47 Sprint upgrades are variants on the ETO P-47D Bubbletop model and PTO P-47D Razorback model. Also included with this package are three sounds for a Pratt-Whitney, Centaurus, and Me109 either Benz or Hisso powered (sound works good for both). Links to the relevant aircraft that correspond with these data ini tweaks are located in the included "Read Me" file with the package. Please go through the Read Me for more thorough info. regarding these FM tweaks.

Version 1.2 of this package includes the P-47N and improves the data inis for the other Jug and Superbolt variants.

Happy flying,
Von S :buba:

DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor. :smile:

• Thanks 2

Minor update (June 6, 2019): version 1.1 of this package addresses minor errors with prop efficiency numbers for the prop aircraft that are included.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

• Thanks 1

Minor update (Aug. 17, 2019): version 1.2 of this package includes the P-47N and improves the data inis for the other Jug and Superbolt variants.

Von S :smile:

• Thanks 1

Feb. 20, 2020: Version 1.2.1 - deleted useless "DS_store" files from package that were being generated on the OS X side of the Mac Pro. Simply a cosmetic tweak.

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By VonS
      Recently I had an opportunity to re-install FlightGear (stable ver. 2020.3.19) on my 2013 Mac Pro and was pleasantly surprised - with no crashes, decent FPS for the most part, and various other improvements that were incorporated over the years. I had dabbled briefly in FlightGear a couple of times before (around 2013, and again around 2020) - but eventually removed the flight simulator from my hard drive on both of those occasions.
      Since my particular setup(s) are with dual AMD video cards, I thought I would post some (illustrative) tips below, as well as representative pics of the sim when at best, or very good, settings. I will this time around keep FlightGear on my hard drive - makes for a good, free flight simulator.
      For command line entries and tips that should be plugged into the "Additional Settings" option of FlightGear, see the info. immediately below. Make sure to remove the info. included in brackets if copying the commands into the relevant settings section.
      -----
      --prop:/sim/gui/current-style=0 (better GUI style for AMD cards)
      --prop:input/mice/mouse/mode/button[2]/binding/value=2 (gets rid of horrible mouse-as-yoke feature that sometimes automatically turns on)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/photoscenery/enabled=true (gives more photo-realistic scenery whenever possible; to be fully implemented in later FG versions)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/hdr/envmap/update-continuously=false (disables continuous siphoning and updating of terrains, to enable seconds command below)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/hdr/envmap/update-rate=5 (terrain refresh rate set in seconds; good values are 5 or 10, for minimal stuttering)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/max-paged-lod=1300 (stock max paged LOD no. is "200"; recommended is not to exceed about "1900" on AMD)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/plod-minimum-expiry-time-secs=60 (stock min expiry time is "180" secs.)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=DrawThreadPerContext (should improve multithreading capacity, at least slightly, and add a few extra FPS)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/database-pager/threads=12 (stock thread rendering no. is "4," with more threads improving ave. FPS; set as per your CPU threads no.)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/vsync-enable=false (force disables vsync to improve FPS)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=true (this is anti-aliasing; set to false to disable and remove entry immediately below it)
      --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=2 (anti-aliasing value; lowest is 2, also good is 4; avoid 3)
      --compositor=Compositor/HDR/hdr (modern rendering pipeline for better graphics details and shaders; rarely breaks scenery; still mostly experimental on AMD vid. cards)
      --units-meters
      --disable-splash-screen
      --disable-horizon-effect
      --enable-distance-attenuation
      --enable-specular-highlight
      --enable-clouds3d
      --fog-nicest ("nicest" improves look of fog with more subtleties while "fastest" makes fog appear and disappear more quickly; no real impact on AMD FPS)
      --shading-flat ("smooth" apparently improves look or depth of shaders; preference is for "flat" since I have not noticed difference in quality on AMD)
      --texture-filtering=2 (this is anisotropic value; lowest is 1; also good is 4 or 2; avoid 3)
      --bpp=32 (can also use 24 but have not noticed an FPS improvement with 24; would say 32 is better for FPS overall)
      --terrain-engine=pagedLOD
      --lod-levels=3 2 5 3 1 (also good is 4 3 6 4 2 for best visual quality on AMD but still mostly FPS-friendly; recommended is 3 2 5 3 1 for balance between visual quality and solid FPS)
      --lod-res=2 (default is 1; also good is 3; avoid any other values besides 2)
      --lod-texturing=raster (better than "bluemarble" as far as I have been able to test, with smoother loading of textures)
      --lod-range-mult=3 (default is 2; also good is 1; avoid all other values besides 3)
      --enable-texture-cache
      -----
      On a broader note, it's important to tweak the rendering, shaders, and LOD range settings in FlightGear - to get the best experience on your AMD video rigs (be it a dual or single AMD setup).
      The frequencies, by the way, on my dual FireProD700s have been OC-ed, via MSI Afterburner, from a clock/memory of 850/1370 to 1024/1380 MHz.
      Be sensible with the rendering options - particularly with the maximum number of scenery and aircraft tiles - anything above a value of 1900 or so is both useless and an FPS hit. (The scenery/aircraft tiles no. may also be set via the relevant command line entry indicated above in this post.)
      Take note as well of cloud density and visibility values. Anything beyond a visibility of 35 km or so is questionable since it does not widen further the cloud carpet but is, once again, an FPS hit.

Pic 1 - Sensible/Best Rendering Choices for AMD Video (in FlightGear)
      Next we look at the shader options that also require careful thinking and tweaking. Take note that "landmass," "urban," also "water" - give different visuals if they are set to the maximum level (of five). I personally prefer how the landscape/terrains look with those three settings at a value of four - with crisper graphics - but tweak according to taste. Also worth noting is that I always run the LOD value on my rig(s) at "-1," via the excellent little program "ATISetLod" that is available under the top post of this thread.

Pic 2 - Sensible/Best Shader Options for AMD Video (for crisp and fairly realistic graphics)
      Also important is to tweak the LOD range settings to get a good balance between visual quality and decent FPS, with no stuttering or crashes. Focus in particular on the maximum distances for the detailed, rough and bare scenery ranges - I decided eventually on cutoffs of 3, 17.5 and nearly 45 km. Other cutoffs worth considering are 2.5, 15, and 40 (or so) km, as well as 3.5, 20, and 50 km. Anything beyond the latter values will, again, most likely not make much of a difference with the visuals but will contribute a noticeable FPS hit. Take note also of the "high detail" and "AI/MP interior" values. I'm getting good results with values of 250 - 260 pixels for those options; also good are values of 300 (or so) pixels. Those two values may be tweaked to taste, for the most part - but, again, be sensible since they may impact on FPS.

Pic 3 - Sensible/Best LOD Range Values for AMD Video
      Last, let's not forget to tweak our custom FlightGear profile (in our AMD settings panel) as best we can, to minimize stuttering, pausing, or crashes. Take note in particular how the shader cache is set to "On," not to "AMD Optimized," and how, even though I have enabled CrossFire mode, frame pacing is set to "Off" (which eradicates stutters on my rig in FlightGear - had tried with frame pacing "On" and was not pleased with the results). If you have only a single AMD video card, experiment with leaving the CrossFire option on (set to "AFR compatible"), or turning it off entirely. (NOTE: I have not noticed any FPS downgrade with anti-aliasing set to 4EQ and edge-detect, anisotropic value at 8, and tessellation at 16. Tweak to taste obviously.)

Pic 4 - Good AMD Settings for a Custom FlightGear Profile
      Recommended also, if having any instability with FlightGear on AMD video, is to stick with the "Pro" variant DLLs (drivers) for AMD, instead of the consumer/Adrenalin ones. I particularly like the ver. 19.x.x Pro series of drivers, as well as the venerable ver. 17.x.x ones (the latter of which I have installed on the 2013 Mac Pro). To find links to the Pro 19.Q3 DLLs (the last version of the Pro DLLs to support CrossFire, by the way), see this page.
      Below follow several representative pics with the settings illustrated above applied - FlightGear provides a nice selection of aircraft with usually very good monoplane FMs, especially for tricycle-gear (small) civilian aircraft such as Cessnas, also for airliners like the (classic) Boeing 707. For multi-wing contraptions on the other hand and more realistic/historical FMs for biplanes, triplanes, and the odd multiplane, the gold standard(s) remain heavily-modded First Eagles 2 and RoF, as well as recent iterations (UE edition onwards) of the excellent WoFF series.

Happy flying,
      Von S 
    • By ProblemChild
      I am new to this game but I am loving it and the dynamic campaign is amazing. my only and only problem is that planes just dissapear in the distance, literally just dissapear a short distance a way, around 200 - 500 meters away? not too sure but its very off putting and its clearly an issue for gameplay.
      I am using Patch July 2013 
      Wings over Korea mod
      I play on 3840x2160 4K resolution (I'd prefer playing on that) I have extracted the flightengine ini into SF2 Filght folder as well as to the korea folder and made some changes like turned off fade away and increased mesh values, but still to no avail? Anyway to fix this? Its literally the only thing destroying the fun I have with this game.
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi,
      after seeing the TMF F-14 has wrong and inaccurate speed and fuel indicators, i found out the default Third Wire F-14 has working and accurate ones, but i dont wanna use it cause the TMF Tomcat is better and the cockpit too more realistic too, so can you switch the speed and fuel indicators on the TMF F-14 with the default Third Wire F-14? And for fuel too? Do you need to 3D model and/or do something else other than edit some text files?
       And is it or it's not possible to do?
      Down here are 2 pictures from the correct cockpit in the default Third Wire F-14:

And 2 from the TMF F-14 (the inaccurate one):

Thanks for helping.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..