Sign in to follow this  
don246

A difficult one this

Like I say a difficult one this, my heavily modded both FE2 and My SF2 sometimes crash to the Taskbar click on the icon on the taskbar and game will load and then crash to the taskbar not all the time just sometimes. I just reboot Windows 10 and most times it's ok.

I have tried various setting in the games graphics, Running Windows 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB card, 12GB Ram, Intel core i5-4690K CPU, 2 SSD  Hard drives PC will run anything have no problems with any other game (seem to only flay FE2 or SF2 ).

Hard one this it seems it's the game it runs fine when it runs no stuttering or any other problems only the Crash to the Taskbar, so any one any ideas thanks?

I experienced that issue when SF2 is heavily modded. In my case, modds mess up between them. Once I recalled, it happened when I used Falklands modes on the Desert terrain. Take a llok at that. The problem you have is non specific, so it might well be some mod incompatibility or maybe some corrupted files. You may try a fresh install. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply a fresh install WOW so much has been added to my FE2/SF2 , I will try to take notes on what Planes/Terrain i was using when it go's to the taskbar.

Just a little update on my beloved FE2

After Loading FE2 and in the thick of things enjoying it the game it crashed to the taskbar and this went on after many tries, so I rebooted my PC loaded up FE2 and all went well no problems tried many planes and many weather settings and all was well, enjoyed a trouble free one hour or so.

If it happens again I will reboot and see what happens will report back.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, ignacioc91 said:

I experienced that issue when SF2 is heavily modded.

Even my vanilla SF2 do the same on Windows 10 Home. So there is no dependens of mods. I just keep it and play. When it happens i just say "damn!" And restart game calmly . When i play on Windows 7 all is okay. I could not find a dependence when and why it happens. my SF2 falls into the tray somewhere about 1 time out of 10. So friend, you are not alon in your problem. With Windows 7 all is fine and i have no any problems. And it is VERY HEAVY moded.

Edited by bazillius

I recommend running FE2 and SF2 in compatibility mode if you're having CTDs gents - I run mine fine in Win10 Professional, and FE2 also in WineSkin on the Mac side (Mojave 10.14) - having said that, you can set compatibility mode by right-clicking on your FE2/SF2 program, then choosing properties/compatibility and checking off the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode for" (and choose Win7 in the dropdown menu, and click "Apply," etc.). This has fixed some oddities for me in WOFFue - should work well for FE2/SF2 as well.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

Thanks for that Vons so good to hear that you have the same problem not good for you I know mate, I will try the compatibility mode set it for Windows 7.

Still find after all this time FE2 and your great plane mod has me hooked you have transformed this sim for me.

My SF2 WW2 Europe and PTO are good but not as good as FE2 have you worked any of your magic on SF2 WW2 (not interested in modern jets).

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, don246 said:

have you worked any of your magic on SF2 WW2 (not interested in modern jets).

Thanks.

I've combed over about a dozen or so FMs for prop aircraft for the early Cold War period (1946 to about early 1960s) - those can be found at the link below:

https://combatace.com/files/file/16990-sf2-cold-war-prop-and-flogger-fm-tweaks/

Simply disregard the MiG-23 files there if you don't like jets (the relevant folder in the package is the prop aircraft one - aircraft that correspond with those tweaks are all linked to in the Read Me file included with the package by the way).

I'm currently working on 10 to 20 FM tweaks for a pre-WW2 and early WW2 SF2 install (approximately 1937 to 1941), and hope to upload that package in a couple of weeks...I still have several FMs to get through...but included below are a couple of links with representative pics from my PTO and MTO SF2 installs...I'm focusing on obscure and early variants, such as the early "Army Zeke," Polikarpov type 10 (Chinese flown), the Dewoitine 510, also early marks of the Hurricane and Me109...still need to look through the P-39 and P-40 types, also included in the pack will be a tweaked FM for the Dutch-flown Curtiss P-36 (should work well for the China and Taiwan maps). I'll look over two or three multi-engined types for the early WW2 install too...an early German multi-engine type, one for the Japanese, and perhaps the B-17 variant of the Fortress for the US...and maybe an airliner or transport plane of some kind too for the late 1930s....

If I find time in the future, I might do a small FM upgrade pack for a mid-war scenario (1942 to 1943), and then something for the late war (1944 and 1945)...consisting of maybe a dozen FM tweaks or so per package...but I'll leave that stuff for much later. Once I finish with this early war package I'll come back to the WWI stuff...have to look at the Sopwith Snipe, etc.

Representative pics of my early WW2 experiments:

MTO install

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/77564-ww2-screenshots-thread/?page=40&tab=comments#comment-754169

PTO install

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/77564-ww2-screenshots-thread/?page=41&tab=comments#comment-754282

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

• Like 2