I'm considering making additional airbase designs for the game and would love some ideas from the community in what to design. It would be beneficial if you could provide links, and images for the airbases that you might have in mind. 

So, please feel free to post replies with your thoughts (: 
The more information that is provided the better the models will be.

One of my potential ideas is to make a hidden airbase that takes off from within a mountain. The entire runway will be hidden inside, landing and take off all transpires from within this hidden base.

• Like 2

It is not a bad idea since it could be used as a mercenary base for units as such. It is a good idea

• Like 1

For example

In hidden mountain airbase, Albania stores MiGs for sale

Made up of 600 meters (1,980 feet) of tunnels that once teemed with military life, the secret Gjader air base is now a depot for dozens of hulking communist-era MiG jets collecting dust in the darkness.

albania-history-defence-industry-aviatio

000_1F31WJ.jpg

159424-base.jpg?width=500&height=300

This is just one idea I would like to hear from you what would like to see.

• Like 1

Man the bad idea is not, in fact it is curious since it had never been given that kind of hidden bases. It is very attractive the idea. I hope the rest think the same. For me it's a great idea

Great idea!!! This is something never seen in the SF series. It would be nive to have them on inside the mountains of Southern Paran

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coupi said:

I like this one as a candidate for an airbase. But I think we need more idea for airbase so keep them coming and will decide all of us for which ones the community need 

PLA-Guiyang-AB-UGH-2011-2.gif

• Like 1

Since Balkans terrain is WIP it would be a great addition if we could have the legendary Yugoslav underground air base of Željava!

drfdy0.jpg

Edited by tiopilotos
  • Like 2

Swedish underground bases would be cool as well.

My suggestion though (as always) is for dual use airfields

1977-07-01-flughafen-frankfurt.thumb.jpg.1630cf2f1b5263248777d8abc0645cb5.jpg

Although Kandahar would be interesting too. You can model the shape of one certain feature, but you will be a master if you can simulate the smellKAF.thumb.jpg.4b3c64f0de5f1fc8cc303f8927a8f776.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting... I didn't know that Yugoslavia had two underground air bases!

• Like 1

unfortunately, the terrain engine prevents anything being "underground". 

We have Mirimar ?....I did start it and RAF St Athans...but dont really get bases models lol post pics in bit

st athan.jpg

st athans.jpg

mirimar.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

22 minutes ago, Wrench said:

unfortunately, the terrain engine prevents anything being "underground". 

Yes you're correct, but I was thinking of covering the runway with mounting for example, a hidden hangar with a short runway that is hidden inside a hill or a mountain that way it's not underground.

yeah you can overcome underground with 3d moutain...I did similar trial with sub pens and underground rocket silo.

My choice would be RAF Gibraltar. 2nd would be Lajes Field. I know it would require an enormous amount of work to either fit them into an existing terrain, or to create completely new ones.........................but you did ask.:smile: And I like to dream big.

image.thumb.jpeg.de3faaf98babacfb34a27e99e8057d0c.jpeg

image.jpeg.e112f0732b07b96b56e568e565b6bc29.jpeg

• Like 2

The Yugoslav air bases would be great for the Balkans map, but I will really love to see them for China in the Formosa Strait map.

Anyway, wathever you do, it's an amazing idea!!

• Like 2

keep them coming, the more the better so we can run a poll and see the best 2 air bases that the community likes.

• Like 1

I don't have any particular airbase designs in mind but it would be nice to have some simple "crappy" looking airfields with single runways of varying length. Something that might be used in remote areas with minimal parking space and rough looking dirt and/or asphalt surfaces. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GKABS

View File Ramon Airbase Israel
      This is uncomplete work for the Ramon Airbase Israel If anyone would like to complete it that will be great,  as I really don’t have the time to finish it.  you will find the max file as well as the link to the AB for google map and some screenshots that I used to get the AB models.
      Google map link to the AB

Submitter GKABS Submitted 08/18/2019 Category Structures  
    • By GKABS
      This is uncomplete work for the Ramon Airbase Israel If anyone would like to complete it that will be great,  as I really don’t have the time to finish it.  you will find the max file as well as the link to the AB for google map and some screenshots that I used to get the AB models.
      Google map link to the AB

• By ignacioc91
      Hi community!! Now that I have some more free time, I'd like to go deeper in terrain population and realism. Adding parked and static aircrafts adds life to airbases. Is there any way to add specific parked aircrafts to airbases? 
    • By VonBeerhofen
      ALL eaw 3D models are flawed, except, for a few simple shapes and those which came from other Microprose games and remained unaltered.
      Now this statement is NOT an attack on anyone's endeavors in 3D modelling, it's just a simple fact. All modified planes are stuck together with spit and string, as Moggy so aptly described in another forum. In 18 years of flying EAW I haven't encountered one single 3D model which wasn't stuck together like that.
      As a result of lack of knowledge on the subject of calculating and understanding the rendering sequence, nearly all models show bits and pieces randomly switching on/off at certain viewing angles or distances or 3D parts being visible when none should be visible. Perhaps I'm spoiled but this fact has always annoyed me, simmilar to the viewdistance switch which happens between lores and hires model when aproaching an object. I find it distracting and it takes away much of the immersion EAW provides.
      For this reason I've visited many websites dealing with the subject and read whatever I could find on the topic. It's taken me 10+ years to understand, plus I spend a lot of time dabbling with other commercial 3D packages used for other flightsims but most of these are not comparable to how EAW deals with a 3D world. I had to revert to a more hands on approach using the tools made available by some more knowledgable people then me.
      I learned that there are no shortcuts and very stringent rules for creating 3D models and that not a single 3D model will allow the same approach in order to get it to work. However, more important was that after very slow progress I verified that Gurney's R/S calculator is working 100%, as long as you stick to the rules of 3DZ modelling. This again means that there is no need for flawed 3D models, they can all be fixed provided that someone will spend enough time on figuring out why some polygons cause the calculator to screw up.
      It is a painstaking process which requires a lot of ingame testing, but there's always a solution even though the solution to the problem is different for each model. Often there are multiple solutions, which is where decisions have to be taken as to which one is the best. Now the sad part is that a solution may remain illusive for months or even years and it's useless to stare yourself blind on it, it's like finding the right pieces of a puzzle or like Rubic's cube, where a single polygon change can cause a cascade of errors in the model which will always cause Gurney's R/S calculator to get stuck.
      I want to reitterate, that the calculator is fine and when it locks up there's something not right in the model. When it's not right it can cause the game to crash, which is obviously another indicator that it's not right. I can't teach people how to solve such issues, it would take too much of my time, only trial and error will bring this understanding. I also hope you will understand that fixing every flawed 3D model from the past, that's nearly all of them, is a herculean task which I'm not going to take on.
      It's more fun to create your own models, as you're in charge of what you're doing when you build it, then it is trying to spot where others have gone wrong in their endeavours and you can only use the current tools available for doing so. On a personal level there are some simple good working models which are flawless because of their simple design, but everything  flawed is total failure in my eyes and proof of not understanding of how it works. I know it's a harsh judgement but in doing things right there simply is no compromise.
      Even I do have models I have been unable to fix up till now, which started 10 years ago. They just didn't make it because I can't see what's wrong, and untill I find the solution it stays under the heade of total failure and will not see release untill it's been fixed. I know there is always a solution so I come back to it to see if I can solve it that time. Any other approach is useless, wether you can see the model in game or not.
      I hope some people will rise to the challenge and have the determination required to truely become a 3DZ modeller, it's about not giving up or trying to take shortcuts, no matter how much time it takes. Start small and work your way up, study the Microprose models as some of the answers are in there.  Its the only advice I can give.
      VonBeerhofen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..