Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

Ever REALLY Updated Your computer? Probably Not...

While we are all familiar with MS Windows Updates, and their automatic receipt/install. it appears that various mfrs of Mother Boards do not automatically download firmware/software updates for their products.  IOW, various device drivers and BIOS settings are NOT automatically downloaded, unless MS deems them worthy of inclusion in their offerings.

This afternoon, I spent some time using Dell downloads to update 3 of my 4 computers.  I was surprised that my 2011 laptop needed so many updates, not least to the BIOS.  Quite a few driver updates, and some entirely new features were installed on a computer which was, according to MS, fully updated. 

I can speak only for Dell computers.  Perhaps other Mfrs of MoBos do not automatically upgrade their products.  Dunno.

What I did was to google "upgrade BIOS on Dell computer".  that led me to www.dell.com/support/downloads.  From there, I found the "downloads" tab, and entered the requested "Product Code", which defines your computer, at least as it left the factory.  

From there, I was shown a huge number of possible downloads for my computer, including the most essential one, the "Dell Update" download.  I installed it, and ran it.  It knew the configuration of my system, as it stands right now, and provided specifically targeted downloads for my Win 10 machine, including a BIOS update.

Installed all the upgrades, and all is well.  Computer now up to spec.

My Win 7 computer is taking FOREVER to accomplish this same process; for what reason I don't know.  Will probably need to re-set the power settings and run it overnight.

So, it seems that the older one's computer is, the more things might need to be updated, and the more time it will take. No surprise there.  OTOH, the upgrades are probably more meaningful than smaller upgrades on a more modern computer.

FWIW, Dell recommends that periodic upgrades, vis "Dell Upgrade" feature be done as a part of "normal" maintenance.   Call me an optimist, but I like to think of these Updates/Upgrades as being useful improvements over pre-existing software/firmware.

In a related vein, a few weeks ago I googled how to upgrade my wireless router.  I managed to access it via my computer, and installed a firmware upgrade.  Prior to this, I did not know that was possible, let alone necessary.  Call me surprised. 

Submitted for consideration. 

Sounds like its routine what you have done. At least for someone that updates there drivers.
I've update my bios until they didn't release anymore, the 5 year support for my motherboard was up.

HP i know had or has similier update software and MSI does too for their products.
All automated or semi sutomated, after awhile the companys stop support.

You must be young or pretty new to computers to not know of driver updates from manufactures. If you build your own computer, you have components from all different companys to get rather than from one location/ web site.

Sometimes you find like DELL wont supply drivers anymore, so you identify the hardware and look for the real manufacture that made the part in your pre built computer and find updates for it.
You have to be carefully, some companys get hardware and manufacture it out of spec and the original manufacture might have a driver, but it might not quit work.
But everythings gotten better since i started with PC computers. Better detection overall. 

You'll see, your a resourceful type of person.

Been there, done that and it took two years before my Dell 8100 got close to working properly. Dunno how many sound drivers I tried and videocard drivers but they just didn't like eachother. Pretty crap if you buy a 3000$ computer from a reputable manufacturer for your home recording studio. It didn't even run EAW untill two years later. I must say one other thing though, it's still working today once it was more or less working but it ruined the fun with homerecording. Pretty disappointing to see the soundcard manufacturer having a message up saying that any issues with the card should be taken up with the Dell company.

VonBeerhofen

Yeah they put that sign/message up because Dell monkeyed with the Sound Card or something to do with it, usually to get better performance or to save cash. Then standard drivers don't work with it and dell stops support on it. heh.

Oh, sure I have long known about the "Update Driver", "Rollback Driver", and "Uninstall Driver" options.  That's fairly old hat.  As said, it is part of normal maintenance.  I always go to the GFX card's mfr for updates; that's basic.  I suppose, after hearing VBH's horror story, that if I had some other high-falutin' cards installed, I'd have them updated solely by the mfr. 

What I am talking about in my first post goes beyond that a bit, and provides a means where Dell will provide updates for the BIOS, Chipset, and other DELL stuff (for your DELL)  after evaluating your computer.  The updates offered are user-selectable.   So, Dell offers this feature, if you choose to use it.  I have not investigated it, but perhaps AMD offers a similar feature/option.

In some cases, during my laptop Dell update, new features were apparently installed, or at least existing features were updated along with a new name.  Recall that on my (2011) laptop,  which has been constantly updated by Microsoft, I went from an I3 CPU to an I5 CPU, as well as upgrading to an SSD drive, and upgrading from Win 7 Home to Win 10 to Win 10 Pro.  With those upgrades, the CPU change especially, I am not surprised that the updated laptop might well benefit from some judicious upgrades from Dell.  There were about 10 in all, IIRC.  Your computer might need more, or less.  BIOS was definitely updated, as well as some drivers, some basic DELL features, CPU/Chipset, some modified/additional features, and so forth.

I suppose I did not explain well-enough the Dell upgrade feature in my first post, so perhaps the fault is mine.  May I suggest that you all give it a try?  I was pleased with the results, and you may be as well.  The downloads are user-selectable, fortunately.

Submitted for re-consideration.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, VonBeerhofen said:

Been there, done that and it took two years before my Dell 8100 got close to working properly. Dunno how many sound drivers I tried and videocard drivers but they just didn't like eachother. Pretty crap if you buy a 3000$ computer from a reputable manufacturer for your home recording studio. It didn't even run EAW untill two years later. I must say one other thing though, it's still working today once it was more or less working but it ruined the fun with homerecording. Pretty disappointing to see the soundcard manufacturer having a message up saying that any issues with the card should be taken up with the Dell company.

VonBeerhofen

Did the computer come with the sound card from Dell, or was the sound card an add-on?  Sorry for your horror story.  If you were buying a similar computer today, for the same purpose(s), what would you do differently now?

Not to resurrect this thread needlessly, but I have been patiently waiting a few months while using the usual Dell Updates on my Dell computers, and also updating many items which seemed important to me manually, via Device Manager.

That being so, when I went to the Intel site, I found a number of updates that were NOT available through Windows Update, nor through the Update feature in Device Manager.  I presume the same situation would occur had I had an AMD CPU, and gone to their site.

I have become a Believer in going to the Mfr's site, for whatever item is of interest, and looking there for potentially valuable updates for their products.  Microsoft has no interest in updating anything other than their product, via windows Update) and apparently pays scant attention to any other Mfr's updates that do not directly affect a MS product.

Your call, but I suggest paying a visit to the Mfr's site of your CPU, and perhaps other items, and plugging in the pertinent info.  My old Win 7 computer upgraded the BIOS (V. 2 to V.13, or similar) and chip settings from the Intel Site, and those upgrades never were offered via Windows Update.  YMMV.

Thanks for some very helpful info. However, like VBH above, I'd be afraid of making things worse. Fortunately, obsolescence isn't a problem for the kind of prehistoric games I play.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:43 PM, Sky High said:

Thanks for some very helpful info. However, like VBH above, I'd be afraid of making things worse. Fortunately, obsolescence isn't a problem for the kind of prehistoric games I play.

I don't blame you, but if you carefully record the currently working driver (or other) , you can roll-back to it, if need be.

• Like 1