Hi there- 

Are there any modding tutorials out there, or maybe suggested modelling programs? I haven't found any consolidated single guide...

- Mantis

here's a start

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/

and currently the 3W exporter only runs with Max 2009. but any program that can create jpg, bmp or tga will get you skinning (although PS and GIMP are the preferred programs)

Edited by daddyairplanes

Modding (as in adding 3rd party add-ons) or MODELING (as in building 3d objects)? The original post seems to be asking about both.

Modding is easy; usually just a copy/paste, as outlined in the read-me that (should) be in EVERY add on.

For Modeling  one must have a deep and full understanding of the program used to create the physical model (or LOD). There are notes, iirc, in the 3rd Wire exporter. Yes, it only works on MAX2009.  But knowing how to use MAX is the basic key.

And it isn't just about building the physical 3d model. If an aircraft, all the points and world centers must be correctly established (well, that goes for anything from plane to a tank or truck or ship), animations set, model unwrapped for texturing, the textures built (skinning the model). Then, the data ini containing all the flight model parameters must be created. And everything tested and tested and tested again in game.

There are tutorials on using MAX all over the web. There was a series (we're talking min-2000s here) by someone who's name I've forgotten (Cowboy? something?) that gave basic instruction on aircraft building.

So, which exactly are we asking about???

And if your using Max , personally I would start with the Mustang Basic tutorials

• Like 2

THAT's the guy! Thanks Ed, I just couldn't remember his name!

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

THAT's the guy! Thanks Ed, I just couldn't remember his name!

any time Kev :good:

14 hours ago, Wrench said:

Modding (as in adding 3rd party add-ons) or MODELING (as in building 3d objects)? The original post seems to be asking about both.

Modding is easy; usually just a copy/paste, as outlined in the read-me that (should) be in EVERY add on.

For Modeling  one must have a deep and full understanding of the program used to create the physical model (or LOD). There are notes, iirc, in the 3rd Wire exporter. Yes, it only works on MAX2009.  But knowing how to use MAX is the basic key.

And it isn't just about building the physical 3d model. If an aircraft, all the points and world centers must be correctly established (well, that goes for anything from plane to a tank or truck or ship), animations set, model unwrapped for texturing, the textures built (skinning the model). Then, the data ini containing all the flight model parameters must be created. And everything tested and tested and tested again in game.

There are tutorials on using MAX all over the web. There was a series (we're talking min-2000s here) by someone who's name I've forgotten (Cowboy? something?) that gave basic instruction on aircraft building.

So, which exactly are we asking about???

both, actually. thanks.