sebaspons

Stuck. EAW on windows 7

Hi. After many years I've installed EAW microprose version/ Patched to v 1.28, downloaded and used the DD "corrector" for the funky screens and the game loades OK. The problem is that when I initiate aa game -even instant play- it crashes with the message  it can't ope a dat. file, but not aalways the same one. The one that appears more is a   "can't open  tmod.dat"

Is there something I can do to get to a point I can play?  Please take into account that my computer skills are limited.

Thank you in advance

sebastian

your missing files I assume

Ask Jel for a 129 download. Or maybe he will see this post to help you out.

He has a single file download I believe of the un-offical v1.29 done by the CodeGroup rather than many archives to un zip.

Thankyou for your pront reply.

What I've done so far;

Deleted AEW and got rid to all mention from the registry. Downloaded EAW PRO/ Installed EAW (full) again. Extracted the PRO version into my fresh install/ Rebooted my computer (just in case....

Clicked on the icon and I got the main screen of the Pro version, but it lasted just a seccond and I was thrown back to the descktop.  Tryed again and I got the message that the application can't be opened.

Anything else I should do?

S. Sebastian

Well I know that EAWPRO version and build of it work. Hasn't been updated in awhile and I was running it fine for a long time, so where others.

Where do you have the game "installed"?
Did you copy and paste the CD files for a full install or use the included auto-installer on the CD?

Check if you have an eaw.ini file in your games main folder.

Hi Mark.

Game installed using the autorun from the CD to Program Files/Micro Prose.

I do have a eaw.ini file into the directory, and in case you wonder, the 2 debug entrys do figure in it.

I went all paranoic and changed my antivirus because on another game did interfer with loading , but I still have a problem, only now it won't even load the main screen and I get a message that the application can not be opened....

S. sebastian

On 6/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, sebaspons said:

Hi. After many years I've installed EAW microprose version/ Patched to v 1.28

From where on earth did you get a 1.28 version to install?

I have several EAW downloads available running from EAW1.28c to UAW160.
What exactly do you want to install?

Please note that I am currently touring Brittany, checking out places that are targets in the EAW ETO theare. Right now I am in a village not far from Lorient.
Because of the touring I do not always have access to a reliable internet connection.

:cool: Jel

Hi. I ment patch 1.28c, and as I stated, EAW doesn't work for me. I have made a clean install of Micro Prose v1.0 and I copied over it EAW Pro as recommended. I got a glimpse of the main screen and it desapeared. After that, I don't get to any screen, and the game refuse to load.

Enjoy Brittany

S. sebastian

You do not want to use the Cd installers.

Nor do you want to "install" or place the game in the \Program Folders

Otherwise Windows wants to stop the game from working.

Copy the game folder out of the program files folder and place it some place else, like a 2nd drive or at C: drive root directory.

Then uninstall the game and delete the remaining folder from program files.

Then go back to the copied game folder and run eaw.exe directly. Should work.

Nop.

I did as you sugested. I copied from Program files to a newly created directory. Deleted EAW from PP using Revo Uninstalled to get rid of entries in the registry. Back to the new  folder, installed v.1.26 (the No CD patch) clicked on EAW.exe, and nothing. So I deleted the folder, creted a new one copied all the files from the CD, applied the EAW Pro overwriting as necessary, clicked on the exe file.....and nothing. 

I'm almost at the end of my wits. It doesn't make sense. I hope that somebody had the same problem and solved it. It could be a stupid reason.

S. sebastian

Procedure is

1>0Copy the files off the cd to a folder,,I named mine EAW

2..Don't run it

3..Apply your preferred patch 1.2 is fine..

4.. Apply the PRO patch

REBOOT

Then try it

Try this link for the older installations:

SHQ post

Many of them give you a complete set-up, all you need is a working eaw.ini file.

Heres a quick fix, it might work.

Right click the eaw.exe select compatibitly tab,
selct any operation system like win98 or winxp and click apply and okay,
wait a second,
then right click the eaw.exe again and remove the compatibility check mark, hit apply and okay,
wait a sec,
then double click eaw.exe to run it. see what happens.

EDIT:

I know it doesn't make much sense but Windows writes a compat reg entry, at least on win10, even if you don't really keep the tab settings active.
Essential your letting windows know about the game and its location on your HD.

It could be something else im not familer with too keeping it from running.

Edited by MarkEAW

Well, nothing works. I tried all your solutions and I am still  stuck. I beguin to thing that there is something peculiar with my machine.

The folder I created in C/ was called EAW, and inside it I pasted the contents of my CD, and patched as per your advice. But here is the thing; when deleting the whole folder there are 4 DLLs that refused to go, and I have to reboot the computer and then delete them.

It is like there is sometning resident or still working even when the program is closed, because when I click on the EXE file I can see the pilot of the PC blinking for a long time as if it were looking for something.... Am I making sense? As I said before I am at my wits end, and being very stuborn I'll keep on trying as long as sugestions keep on coming in.

I wanted to add that I'm runing Windows 7 home 32 bit

S. sebastian

Me again. To add above;

The 4 DLLs left behind/resident are   d3d.dll,     Dsetup.dll,          eaw.exe     and  SMACK32.dll

S

sebaspons..I understand the frustration,,I'm a long time EAW flyer and all of a sudden I find I'm getting an "error 0xc0000142" when trying to fly EAWPRO and even with a 1.2 or other version..It isn't an EAW problem but something system wide here Tried all the online fixes and nothing works...Might be a windows update that's messing things up..Today testing a set up on my second machine a lap top to see if it runs..Luckily I have installs of Aces over Europe ,,EAW 1.29 and 1.60 that run OK,,You can try this it's a EAW Aces Over Europe a modded EAW by moggy and is good..Easy install download and unzip

Thank you!! I remember a long time ago I used to play this game, I hope it runs on my machine. And reading your post I see that you also get the error warning. It is very strange because I've played EAW in this machine not a long time ago, therefore my frustration/

If you happen to find a solution, please let me know. Me, I'll keep on looking and trying.

S. sebastian

Hi, be adviced that the link you sent me is for the original Sierra game, and not for a EAW mod. As it happens I still have the floppies of the original game....

S.

To reitterate a few things re EAWPRO,

Don't install the game but copy the CD contents onto your drive to prevent annoying registry entries to be created

EAWPRO needs a US or UK version of the game, it did work on other langauge versions (German) but there can be discrepancies in these different releases of v1.2. If it works it will replace part of the shown text with English text.

Don't run the copy of the game, but drop a NoCD/NoOS version like EAWPRO or v1.26 into your gamefolder where the EAW.EXE resides and allow overwrites. These versions have an already build in EAW.INI file with the main basic settings. By default their resolution is set to 1024 x 768. Check if your videocard is capable of using that resolution and wether the card can do 8 bit colors (= 256 colors).

The 256 color capabillity is essential, if the videocard doesn't have that capabillity you will probably need a workaround for the 8 bit screens like a Glide wrapper or the DX Windower program. These rules go for v1.2 derivatives only, which use the v1.2 game as their basis.

Do NOT use any gaming keyboards as the game thinks they're a joystick and can't asign continues contollers like throttle and rudder to most of these fancy keyboards. Use standard keyboard only (PS2 or USB are both fine).

Hope this helps,

VonBeerhofen

Forgot to mention this,

do NOT run SETUP.EXE which is the CD installer, start EAW from a shortcut to the EAW.EXE.

VonBeerhofen

S... I know what it is but it is a good fly at least try it out if you don't like it it stuff it

Edited by rwatson

As far as it being your system. I'd say it is. Its to hard to figure out what could possible be going on with it with out you providing much more information as you go.

Plus Its hard to help on the older win7, even though win 7 is a good OS, i dont have it anymore.

Hope you get your EAW game up and running though, its a fun game, especially when you can add EAWPRO to it.
160 , due to its complexity and external front-end its hard to recommend it. I use it though for testing, but even i am confused with its gameplay features.
I use to have sorta an idea with 140 but its beyond my casual time now.
Looking forward the day 160s frontend is fixed into the graphical/informational UI of EAW. With pictures and text to show and explain what is happening on the whim.

Did you try any of the full installations from the link I posted?

Sorry for my tardiness, sometimes life interfears with important things. To resume:   Von Beerhoffen, I did as you sugested in two maners. I created a shortcut for the Install.Exe on my desktop. installed it and I applied the pro patch. Doesn't work.  I created a shortcut on the descktop of the eaw.exe after installing, it didn't work.

And answering Jel  (would you be Mr. Jelly perhaps?), I thought that the files on your link were patches but you seem to say they are ful patched installs? .

And are UAW150  and UAW160 also patches?

S. sebastian