Sign in to follow this  
fallenpheonix

Graphics card problems

Ok I'm having stability problems with this card, I'm often lucky to get o an engagement before the game crashes, sometimes I'm lucky to get to 500 AGL... :dntknw:

Does anyone know of a stable driver set for this card... I'm not the brightest guy when it comes to computers and don't really have a clue as to how to resolve any issues in this department :help:

PS. before anyone tells me I'm in the wrong forum I've moved this up here since noone replyed in the hardware/software board and my thread has been there for over a week... that and the most severe problems are with SFP1 anyway

Craig :cool:

It would be of immense help if you'd tell us what card (brand, model, and chipset) you're having issues with...

Are we to guess then that you had no stability troubles with your prior card, whatever that may be? I mean, there are a myriad possible number of reasons for instability in games (I also take it that while SFP1 is the one it happens to you most in, it does happen elsewhere).

Have you looked to see if any of your fans in your case have failed, thereby having an overheating problem?

Have you done a thorough virus/spyware check?

If it IS the card, the 9600 isn't the newest card out there, did you get it used? Is it possible the card itself is physically damaged? While in Windows cards don't heat up much, but once in a game that temp will skyrocket, so a loose heatsink or failing fan on the card will hurt you.

Um...I think it boils down to "need more info" before we can give you more than simple generalities like Fubar and myself have done. ;)

The Jedi Master

fair enough

its a new machine, however is far more powerful than my old machine and it nevever had any trouble, I also have problems in Lomac and FS2k2, though these will both reopen at the point they crashed out.

Specs:

System:

MS Win XP

Heome edition

V 2k2

SP2

AMD Athlon XP2002+

1.67 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

as to a dodgy fan I've noticed it sounding strange however only in the last few days and this has been goin on for weeks :dntknw:

craig

ps. thanks for being patient :cool:

Hi Mate

If the fans are noisy the machine may be overheating this will cause it to lock up.

Cheers Pete

Guest pdelbarba

have you talked to the circut city, bestbuy, walmart people maybe geek squad will be helpful. I would be careful until you get some help because if it is something serious you could have a nuke on your hands and if you have ever seen one go off in the game you know what i mean but i dout that it would have worked on your computer. :grin:

Try reducing your in-game setting for sound to 8 channels (it can be set at 8, 16 default, or 32), try reducing the hardware acceleration for sound (via the windows control panel), and/or getting a new sound driver. Video is not the only source of crashes, and the sound in SFP1/WOV can get pretty busy with multiple aircraft and/or SAMS and AAA.

Edited by streakeagle

Hi Mate

Can you borrow another card from somewhere if it does it then you know its not the graphics.If it dosn't do it take it back & swap it for a Nvidia based card something like the 6600GT.I have a very simular system to you the only differance being I use a 2600+ chip & a 6800GT graphics card & can play all of the above with no problems at all.

Cheers Pete

Guest IndioBlack
Hi Mate

Can you borrow another card from somewhere if it does it then you know its not the graphics.If it dosn't do it take it back & swap it for a Nvidia based card something like the 6600GT.I have a very simular system to you the only differance being I use a 2600+ chip & a 6800GT graphics card & can play all of the above with no problems at all.

Cheers Pete

Pete, can you advise us what Drivers you are using, and what settings you use in the GeForce setup panel in windows?

I have the 6800GT and generally it's OK, but it needs careful setting up for certain games.

Sometimes with SF/WOV, I get black triangles on the text from Graphics screens, and if I leave the mouse un-moved for too long - like when I'm admiring my Pilot scores - I can get a freeze-up. It would be really helpful for me if another 6800GT owner like yourself had any good advice.

I'll go check what I'm set up with and let you know.

Pete, can you advise us what Drivers you are using, and what settings you use in the GeForce setup panel in windows?

I have the 6800GT and generally it's OK, but it needs careful setting up for certain games.

Sometimes with SF/WOV, I get black triangles on the text from Graphics screens, and if I leave the mouse un-moved for too long - like when I'm admiring my Pilot scores - I can get a freeze-up. It would be really helpful for me if another 6800GT owner like yourself had any good advice.

I'll go check what I'm set up with and let you know.

Hi Mate

I use 66.93 drivers.Iv'e found the newer drivers cause problems as they are mainly written for the new pci express cards.I just use the default settings & let the sim decide what to do.I can't be bothered overclocking & stuff like that.If it works ok leave it alone.Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers Pete

The 66.93 are good one for both PCI and non PCI cards to so try those.

Dont think I'll be able to get hold of another card without buying one, though that may not be such a bad idea :wacko:

Guest IndioBlack
The 66.93 are good one for both PCI and non PCI cards to so try those.

Thank you both.

I'm obviously looking in the wrong place on my computer to find out what the current driver is. I have the numbers 7.1.2.4 which even the Nvidia page doesn't recognise.

So, since I obviously don't know what I'm doing, what's the fastest way to find out what my current driver is, please?

You're running the 71.24 drivers

To find out Right cick any where on your desk top

Left click Properties

Left click settings then advanced then your graphics card

Or you could find them in Start programs accessories system info.

Picture below showing my driver version

Hope this is of use

Cheers Pete

Guest IndioBlack
You're running the 71.24 drivers

To find out Right cick any where on your desk top

Left click Properties

Left click settings then advanced then your graphics card

Or you could find them in Start programs accessories system info.

Picture below showing my driver version

Hope this is of use

Cheers Pete

That is excellent, Pete, thanks for clearing this up.

The desktop click method doesn't work for me, because it gets sidetracked into Nvidia's own panel. However, because you showed me a picture of what I should see, I was able to get it by your second method and a third. So for others who might want to know, I did this on my system:

START

All Programmes

Accessories

System Tools

System Information

Components

Display

OR:

In RUN, type:

msinfo32.exe

This brings up the System Information window, then:

Components

Display

Thanks for all your help guys.

Glad you've found it ok.

I would reconmend trying the 66:93 driver You can download it from Nvidias

home site.

Cheers Pete

Guest IndioBlack
Glad you've found it ok.

I would reconmend trying the 66:93 driver You  can download it from Nvidias

home site.

Cheers Pete

Yeah, I've just downloaded it, and I'm reading the instructions.

One thing that bothers me is that Nvidia recommends removing all your old Nvidia drivers before installing the new ones.

Then it says that if you have problems with the new drivers, then you rollback to the previous drivers.

How can you rollback if you've deleted the old ones?

I'd better have a word with the guy who built my computer and see what he advises, just in case I do something wrong and it all goes TU.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Hello Mate

You have to un-install old drivers first so they don't conflict.

If the 66.93 drivers don't work ( which would be very rare ) you can roll back the driver as Windows XP keeps a copy in system restore.Don't worry about it I've been building PC's for many years.

Enjoy

Pete :) :clapping: :)

Guest IndioBlack
Hello Mate

You have to un-install old drivers first so they don't conflict.

If the 66.93 drivers don't work ( which would be very rare ) you can roll back the driver as Windows XP keeps a copy in system restore.Don't worry about it I've been building PC's for many years.

Enjoy

Pete :)  :clapping:  :)

Oh I see!

Right thanks.