Sign in to follow this  
KJakker

HMS Victory - The Original Fast Battleship

Reading Jutland By John Campbell Is A Good Observation Jutland Is A Massive Observation Including Gunnery And Resulting Damages To British Fast Battle Capital Ships!!

Its an amazinig ship...been on it twice,and cutty sark...yet to see marie rose....they knew how to build fighting ships.....its a work of art...but I wouldnt want to fight in it..at sea...proud heritage for us here in UK

Did the Victory tour a few years back and it's indeed an inspiring experience, and daunting, especially in the bowels of the ship where the 'powder monkeys' and others toiled.

14926050516_d2ac76212ds.thumb.jpg.5f7cf59d7ca38a6a50f830e47d79d39f.jpg

Speaking of Jutland (I have the Campbell book, some of whose timings are disputed), a couple of weeks ago I was touring the last ship afloat that fought in that battle:

DSC_0562s.thumb.jpg.8b36e03a4f6973cdf0975b692be844c0.jpg

DSC_0579s.thumb.jpg.012349586b86094c0d7966b32ef7c73d.jpg

Unfortunately, the restoration didn't remove the ugly deckhouse added as a gunnery classroom when HMS Caroline was converted post-WW1 to a static training ship, but it now serves as a useful theatre for a decent audio-visual projection on one wall, telling the story of Jutland. Small compared to preserved US battleships, or even HMS Belfast in London, but impressive enough in its Edwardian naval way.

There was some sort of kiddies pirate's day on, hence the silly flags.