Question for the FM experts: What does the chord value in the wing sections of the aircraft_data.ini mean? How is it used in the FM?

how many octaves it can sing??

(sorry, please forgive me. I just HAD to do that!! goofy mood today! :smile:)

My guess might be related to CG and how the game figures Mean Aerodynamic Chord (but aren't Mac statement seperate in the wings and stabs sections???)

• Like 1

I know the definition of chord. I wanted to know what the chord values in the aircraft_data.ini means. As far as I understand for the pitch moment calculation the ReferenceChord value is used.

TK wrote:

Pitching moments use reference chord (c), and yaw and roll moments use reference span (b). All coefficients listed in the aircraft data file should use the same reference area and distance regardless of which part. So inner wings, outer wings, h-tail, v-tail, etc, should all use same set of S, c, b (usually measured on the whole wing, Biplanes use S for both wings). and that set of reference geometry should be listed at near the top of the aircraft data file.

Therefore in my opinion the extra chord values don't make any sense. What am I missing here?

I think it affects lift and wing high\low pressure values in the aerodynamics data..for different AOA etc

The "Ymac=" entry for each wing listed just below the relevant "Chord=" entry appears to be the distance from the center line the given Wing, Outer Wing, or Stabilizer's Ymac is located. Maybe the ReferenceChord= is used as the base reference for the wing and the "Chord=" on each wing is the wing's chord at the distance the "Ymac=" is and/or with intact slats and flaps in retracted or extended position?

You might find this thread useful as well. Maybe it should get added to the Knowledge Base.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately "Chord=" is not described there.:sad:
I already searched my TW forum archives, but didn't found anything.

Mue:

This is from my SF Notes files:

mac = Mean Area Chord, Is used as Reference Chord=x.xx under the aircraft data section. It's also the area of the wing surface from where one would calculate the Xac tables from. Usually a range starting 25% of the distance along a longitudinal line drawn along the mac, aft from the leading edge (LE), and ending 60-70% of the way back from the LE along the chord.

BTW, calculate the the coordinates fore or aft of the centerline using an accurate three view for reference...not the 3D model.

Ymac = The mean area chord as represented along the "Y" axis, measured out to either side of the centerline of the aircraft(left=-value, right=+value).

And yes, the 'significant digits do matter.... if you're taking the trouble to do it, why not do it right? :biggrin:

BTW, Kreelin's Aeroconvert is under utilities, in our downloads section.

I'll rummage around through my FM files to see if I can find more for you.

Mue:

This might be helpful:

Moments are non-dimensionalized using length (either span for lateral coefficients like Clb, or chord for pitch coefficients). Moments due to force (Clb and Cnb) are divided by (span), and moment due to rate (Clp, Clr, Cnp, and Cnr), are divided by (span*span*0.5), I _think_...

So, equation wise, (where q=0.5*density*v*v)

[Roll moment due to sideslip] = q*S*(span)*(Clb)

but

[Roll moment due to roll rate] = q*S*0.5*(span)*(span)*(Clp)
[Roll moment due to yaw rate] = q*S*0.5*(span)*(span)*(Clr)

[Pitch moment due to pitch rate] = q*S*0.5*(chord)*(chord)*(Cmq)

etc.

TK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mue
      Currently I'm trying to reverse engineer the SF2 flight model.
      I stumbled over the stall tables.
      Does anyone know how the stall tables (StallLiftTable, StallDragTable and StallXacShiftTable) work?
      As an example here are the StallLiftTable and StallDragTable from the P-51D and F-4B inner wings:

I assume the abscissa is alpha and the ordinates are factors for some lift or drag coefficients. Correct?
      What are the lift and drag coefficients? CLmax for lift and StallDrag for drag?
      But the drag table looks odd. I would have assumed that at alpha = -90 degree and +90 degree the drag factor would have its maximum.
      When are these tables used? If alpha > AlphaDepart?
    • By mue
      Maybe some of the flight model guys find this useful for creating, analyzing or checking flight models.
      Last year I had the idea for a tool that extracts the data of the debug hud and writes them into a text file:
      (from this post: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/91675-how-to-develop-test-flight-models/?do=findComment&comment=741238):

The process steps are illustrated in the following figure:

The tool "DebugHUDExtractor" I came up with is written in python and uses the optical character recognition (OCR) software tesseract. Thus to use the DebugHudExtractor you have to install python, some python packages and the tesseract software.
      For those who want to try this tool, here are the installation, configuration and usage instructions:

1.) Download and install tesseract: https://digi.bib.uni-mannheim.de/tesseract/tesseract-ocr-w64-setup-v4.1.0.20190314.exe
      Copy lucidaconsole.traineddata into tessdata directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR\tessdata). Needs admin rights.
      This file contains the trained data for the lucida console font. I use this font as it gave me the best results with the character recognition. This font has to be configured for the debug hud output in the game (see. step 4 below)
      2.a) Download and install python: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.3/python-3.7.3-amd64.exe
          While installing select "Customize installation":
          -optional: change the installation directory (e.g I use C:\Python37)
          -enable "Add Python to environment variables"
      2.b) Install needed python packages.
      On the windows command line execute the following commands:
      pip install pillow pip install numpy pip install opencv-python pip install pytesseract 3.) Setting the path to the tesseract executable:
      In <Python_install_directory>\Lib\site-packages\pytesseract\pytesseract.py (line 35) set tesseract_cmd to the file path of the tesseract executable. Use double backslashes or normal slashes.
      E.g.:
      tesseract_cmd = 'C:\\Program Files\\Tesseract-OCR\\tesseract'  
      4.) Configure the game.
      In SF2/FE2 game set Option Hud = Normal and configure the Huddata.ini.
      It enables the debug hud, set the font to lucida console, sets a bigger font size (the bigger the better, but all relevant debug info should still be displayed in the screen,e.g. for my 1920x1080 resolution I use TextSize = 24)
      ,the normal font color is changed to red (required for text filtering), the default right info box is disabled and the default left aircraft info box is moved to the right (that gives more space for the debug info box on the left)
      [Debug] DisplayDebug=true [Font] TextFontName=Lucida Console TextSize=24 [InfoDisplay] //BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga BottomLeftPosition=0.8,1.0 //BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985 NormalColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
      5.) Configure the python script debughudextractor.py :
      Depending on the values you want to extract from the debug hud the variables extractPitch, extractAlpha, ... have to be set to True or False,
      The leftRect and rightRect variables have to be configured depending on where the debug info box and aircraft info box is located on your screen (depending on your screen resolution and the entries in your huddate.ini)
      The format is as follows:
      leftRect = (top-left-x, top-left-y, bottom-right-x, bottom-right-y)
      The top left corner of the screen is the origin (0,0).
      E.g. with a resolution of 1920x1080 and the above huddata.ini, I use the following:
      leftRect = (56,236,1450,1080) rightRect = (1528,968,1920,1080)  
      See this picture:

6.) Start the script from windows command line:
      python debughudextractor.py video_file_path time_step_in_s start_time_in_s end_time_in_s <video_file_name>.txt and <video_file_name>_error.txt will be written into the directory of the video file.
      <video_file_name>.txt contains the extracted data.
      <video_file_name>_error.txt contains what values at what time couldn't be recognized. If a value couldn't be recognized, then the very next video frame is used and analyzed.
    • By Spudknocker

View File Strike Eagle FM and Loadout Enhancement Kit
      3.3- Added F-15I_Raam decals folder as it occurred to me not everyone has that specific Raam decal folder name

3.2-Fixed an error in the F-15I Ra'am's AIrcraftdata section and updated all variant's gross weight's thanks to Fanatic Modder bringing to my attention that the wing pylons weights were added twice to the aircraft's mass. Also more refinements to the AI statements for happy wingmen!

3.0- Best update yet! Redone AI statements for all Strike Eagle Variants, your wingmen and all AI will finally be able to drop dumb bombs on target! Also fixes AI strafing runs and the Strike Eagles will be able to strafe ground targets with accuracy! Also added some nice hanger and loading screens to the F-15SG as some extra eye Candy! Enjoy your new wingies!

Update 2.5-Fixed CBU Attack loadout! Updated FM even more! Suggestions always welcome!

This is a FM and loadout enhancement package first started by Crusader to kinda bring the Strike Eagle family more up to date with recent advances in SF2 modding ability! This mod changes the order of release for the CFT weapon stations and allows for more customized loadouts in the loadout menu before a mission. These changes along with a new STRIKE loadout of MK82's allows the AI to more easily hit a target. The FM changes are just updates to the FM and more realistic gross weights/Loaded weights etc and should help the AI better manage Flying the Strike Eagle and all its variants. Small updates were also made to the LANTIRN systems of all the jets. Also is an updated F-15i skin touched up by me. This pack covers the F-15 Strike Eagle variants from FastCargo's F-15 Super Pack including the
      F-15E
      F-15E_04
      F-15I
      F-15K
      F-15S
      and F-15SG

Now we just need a new strike eagle cockpit!

Thank you especially to Fastcargo for his F-15 pack and crusader for starting the FM mod, and anyone else who has contributed to the F-15's and everyone on CA!
      If I've messed anything up feel free to PM me and I can see what I can do to fix the issue! Happy SCUD Hunting or Iranian nuclear bunker busting!
      Submitter Spudknocker Submitted 03/08/2016 Category F-15  
    • By FANATIC MODDER

View File F-16 DATA & LOADOUT update
      I reworked the Data and loadout inis in the following versions of the F-16:

F-16A_B15_ADF
      F-16A_B15_ADF_AMI
      F-16A_Blk1
      F-16A_Blk10_Baf
      F-16A_Blk10-EAF < NEW for v2.0
      F-16A_Blk10-IDF < NEW for v2.0
      F-16A_Blk10-NDC
      F-16A_Blk15_Baf
      F-16A_Blk15-NDC
      F-16A_Blk15OCU_Baf
      F-16A_Netz_87 < NEW for v2.0
      F-16AM_bel
      F-16AM_den
      F-16AM_net
      F-16AM_nor
      F-16AM_ROCAF
      F-16B_Blk15-NDC < NEW for v2.0
      F-16B_Netz_87 < NEW for v2.0
      F-16BM_bel
      F-16C_B25
      F-16C_B25_TB
      F-16C_B30
      F-16C_B30_agr
      F-16C_B30_CUPID
      F-16C_B30_gk
      F-16C_B30_tur
      F-16C_B32
      F-16C_B32_agr
      F-16C_B32_CUPID
      F-16C_B40
      F-16C_B40_egy < Now COMPLETE plane
      F-16C_B40_tur
      F-16C_B42
      F-16C_B50
      F-16C_B50_gk
      F-16C_B50_tur
      F-16C_B50+_tur
      F-16C_B52
      F-16C_B52+_egy < Now COMPLETE plane
      F-16C_B52+_gk
      F-16C_B52+_pol
      F-16C_Barak
      F-16C_BarakII
      F-16CM_B40
      F-16CM_B42
      F-16CM_B50
      F-16CM_B52
      F-16D_B30 < Now COMPLETE plane
      F-16D_B30_agr < Now COMPLETE plane
      F-16D_B30_gk < Now COMPLETE plane
      F-16D_B50+_tur
      F-16D_B52+_egy < Now COMPLETE plane
      F-16D_B52+_gk
      F-16D_B52+_pol
      F-16D_Barak
      F-16D_Brakeet
      F-16I_Sufa
      F-16N
      KF-16C_B32
      KF-16C_B52

So the FM is finally corrected, the empty weights are now correct, as well as many minor other changes in order to make ir more realistic.

Don't be fooled, I did A LOT of research and a lot of BETA testing. When I had no definite data, I calculated, so some data are estimations.

For proving my point, I include a 4vs4 mission, Turkish F-16D Block 50+ (the heaviest Viper in service) against USAF aggressors.

Why v0.9? There are some planes missing. These are TW planes, as well as israeli -A models, egyptian, jordanian, UAE, thai, indonesian & singaporian planes.

EDIT:

As it turned out, these should be released in a vol.2

Requests:

I hope someone would make hi-res skins for all these nations mentioned above as well for the early -A models of the four european nations.

Also a proper lod for the taiwanese block 20.

Logfile changes

-------

v1.0

- Added the fabulous F-16A ADF AMI of dtmdragon, deleted the old F-16A AMI

- The mission now is on more even terms, both F-16s have now the same loadout.

-------

v2.0

- Added the following planes

F-16A_Blk10-EAF
      F-16A_Blk10-IDF
      F-16A_Netz_87
      F-16B_Blk15-NDC
      F-16B_Netz_87

- Now these planes are complete

F-16C_B40_egy
      F-16C_B52+_egy
      F-16D_B30
      F-16D_B30_agr
      F-16D_B30_gk
      F-16D_B52+_egy

The Egyptian block 40 is based on the Turkish one, the block 52+ on the Polish.

- Reworked DATA.INI for ALL planes. Mostly, but not only, reworked engine and weight data.

- Four new missions are added. F-16 vs F-16, these missions are indeed very exciting.

Known issues: The F-16D block 30 skins should be tweaked a bit to represent a 100% proper -D block 30 skin.

CREDITS:

Effects/Sounds/LODS/Skins - Dave/The Viper Team

F110 effects only - Fast Cargo < The new, proper F110 effects possibly again by Fast Cargo. If not, please verify.

The egyptian skin - mohand777

The F110 engine sound, I was not able to trace. Pls PM for any feedback to give proper credit.

A v3.0 will come up, but not anytime soon that will include the above mentioned "jordanian, UAE, thai, indonesian & singaporian planes", hopefully even more than that.

------

Request: MORE Hi-rez skins!!!!
      Submitter FANATIC MODDER Submitted 03/06/2016 Category ini File Edits  
    • By MigBuster

View File Thirdwire F-104G Flight Model
      Thirdwire F-104G Flight model

Modified SF2 flight model - see README for details
      Submitter MigBuster Submitted 12/20/2014 Category F-104  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..