rogueranger1993

SF2 Campaign Mods: Why the need for separate mod folders?

So, I just wanted to ask this question; what is the reasoning behind installing campaign mods for SF2 in separate mod folders? I ask because I want to get the NATO Fighters 5, SF2V, SF2NA, and SF2I expanded campaign mods, a few others as well, but I personally want to install them in a single folder with a single launch button rather than an array of different folders and launch buttons. So, besides knowing why it was done in the first place, I'd also like to know if this is possible? And if so, has anybody had experience with how I should go about it that they can share?

1 hour ago, rogueranger1993 said:

what is the reasoning behind installing campaign mods for SF2 in separate mod folders?

You can install all in one without any problem. The reason is - less mess. Some just want to have specific installs focused on an era, war, country, etc. It is only for user convenience. 

A lot of useful info about merging or not campaigns you can find in a knowledge base. 

• Like 3

Simple:
to eliminate the possibility of cross-contamination between mods. Some things are not meant to be mixed together. That's why we built them that way

• Like 2

Thanks. I kinda figured it would be to avoid cross-contamination, Wrench, but wanted to be sure. I think I'll try to install them together, but I'll avoid ruining my original installation by using the separate mods folder trick while I test it out. If I am successful, I'll post a new thread talking about how I did it so others can replicate it.

For me, it's about load times.  The faster the sim can load the game, the better.

• Like 1

No, just continue posting in this thread. There's no need to waste more bandwith and storage space with additional threads

Although, why continuing to carry on about 'how it works' seem redundant -- we've been doing it this way for over 10 years (counting seperate installs for 1stGens as well). So, we KNOW it works.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:02 AM, rogueranger1993 said:

Thanks. I kinda figured it would be to avoid cross-contamination, Wrench, but wanted to be sure. I think I'll try to install them together, but I'll avoid ruining my original installation by using the separate mods folder trick while I test it out. If I am successful, I'll post a new thread talking about how I did it so others can replicate it.

It's not about whether it can be done in general. It depends on what campaign mods you are trying to install.  There are some files or objects that are edited to specifically reflect that object in that particular campaign or theater.  And if that same file or object was edited to be specific for that campaign in more than one of the campaigns you are installing, whichever one you install last will overwrite the others, and that could break things.

It's entirely possible that the combination of campaigns your are installing could work fine together. Or it's entirely possible that the campaigns you install will completely break each other and be FUBAR.

In general, if the creator of a mod has suggested a dedicated mod folder, it's best to do it that way.

PS - it's not campaign files that usually interfere with each other. It's more when the mod is creating a "conflict/theater specific" mod or install, where aircraft, weapons, and objects have been tailored to suit that scenario.

edit - I just re-read the list of mods you want to install, and I'm pretty sure some files will conflict.  There were talks and threads a looonnngggg time ago about creating one mod pack that covered all the theaters, but I dont think it ever happened. I created one for myself, but it wasnt nearly as in depth as all the ones you listed on their own.

Edited by malibu43

Suppose that makes sense. I've actually managed to get an installation working so far with the SF2V, SF2I, and SF2NA expansions, along with the 48-46 Campaign w/ the Suez 56 update and some other mods like new aircraft and maps/terrain upgrades. I haven't tried any campaigns yet, but so far it seems to work, and the loading times aren't really bad either - they're actually pretty damn good so far. I am leery about installing the Falklands mod though, as it seems to be one of those very specific mods you mentioned.