Open Club  ·  11 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

Filling up those ''ugly' terrain tiles

8 bit texture in 256 x 256 pixels and fully working R/S:

ProvenceA.jpg

ProvenceB.jpg

Object may still undergo further enhancements, plenty of room left!

VonBeerhofen

• Like 2

Not sure if above pictures will autimatically update when they're changed in my FTP site, so here's the final? object from most angles after adding some extra details and meticuously mapping the texture:

ProvenceC.jpg

ProvenceD.jpg

ProvenceE.jpg

VonBeerhoffen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

What would an addon be without the right atmospheric buildings to get you properly in the mood of things, only 1/2 as good right? So as in all my addons new cities are build trying to capture that atmosphere. In this light a new colorfull MedTer building set is under devellopment and this is a first try of the first city model out of 5 or 6 or so. A new model with appropiate R/S and just a start to use every polygon and node 3D models will allow.

These objects are a real pita to build when done right, but this isn't my first try. Ofcourse the texture is what makes or breaks the model, and a lot of time is spend on gathering the right (copyright free) pictures and mold them for use in the game, or if necessary construct it from my parts and buildings database, which is growing fast.

StreetTeaser.jpg

I'm sorry for the low quality picture and distortions to prevent unauthorised use of my drawings, I hope there's sufficient left for an impression of what's to come

This is the first finished MedTer city block out of 6 to come. These proofed to be a little more problematic then I thought but it got there in the end. In total I spend 100 hours on this creation, including gathering textures, and it's still not finished yet. The toughest part, getting the rendering sequence to work is done but now the detailing starts.

VonBeerhofen

MedTer0.jpg

MedTer1.jpg

MedTer2.jpg

MedTer3.jpg

• Thanks 1

I understand your reluctance to post final views, lest they be stolen; Completely understand that.

But what I see, with ALL respect, is buildings "floating" above their natural terrain.  In short. the depictions (with caveats noted above) don't look natural  The buildings look OK, but their connection to the underlying terrain isn't natural-looking, at least in what has so far been provided. 

Speaking as your longstanding friend and supporter.   I eagerly await the final version.

RIBob 

Hi RiBob,

Rather then testing the objects where it belongs I used a tree slot for it and that's not where it's supposed to be. It's a city object and is supposed to sit on a city tile but it saves time when a tree is replaced. You don't have to search to find the object as cities are sometimes hundreds of miles away. Hope that explains it.

VBH

19 hours ago, VonBeerhofen said:

Hi RiBob,

Rather then testing the objects where it belongs I used a tree slot for it and that's not where it's supposed to be. It's a city object and is supposed to sit on a city tile but it saves time when a tree is replaced. You don't have to search to find the object as cities are sometimes hundreds of miles away. Hope that explains it.

VBH

Perfect explanation for something that I ought to have known in the first place.  Thanks.

Pictrures shown only relate to the object itself, not it's placement in the picture or the used sky sets or terrain tiles or other visible obkects. There's just too much stuff in my game at once which may be still experimental which has caused quite some controversy in the past elsewhere. You may understand that I'm not going to remove these things and portray the most ideal situation, it's simply too much extra work, so don't pay attention on it. It only shows how hard I'm working on getting things done and make it all come together nicely.

How's this for you RiBob, just to show one of the possibillities of this new Italian city block, which is still using the stock textures but will soon be transformed to my own drawings. It's about the 3D model, not the drawings, or the people running around, :)

VonBeerhofen

MedTer4.jpg

Certainly looks intricate, and time-consuming to do properly.  I wonder if climbing ivy is possible?  Not so sure it is native to Italy, but it sure is in England.  At any rate, keep up the good work!

Hi RiBob,

Plants are no problem in general but when on buildings it usually just on the drawing and not fully 3D to save framerates and memory. Often they come with the photographs I use but sometimes the drawing scale doesn't leave much detail.

For those still interested here's an altitude shot of Rome as it stands now:

VBH

MedTer7.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VonBeerhofen said:

Hi RiBob,

Plants are no problem in general but when on buildings it usually just on the drawing and not fully 3D to save framerates and memory. Often they come with the photographs I use but sometimes the drawing scale doesn't leave much detail.

For those still interested here's an altitude shot of Rome as it stands now:

VBH

MedTer7.jpg

That pic looks nice.  Some neighborhoods might have different roofs due to being constructed, and subsequently repaired/renovated in different time periods.  A certain variance is artistically--and realistically--correct.  Even the shade of the roofs can vary due to different materials being used over time and location.  I commend this variable/different-shading of the same overall hue for your consideration. Roof-tile suppliers' products can be expected to vary in color over time.

As to "Climbing Ivy" granted it is a simple overlay, so to speak, but If I may suggest, such might be very appropriate to certain climates, and in particular, older stone buildings.  Climbing Ivy has a very nasty effect on wooden buildings, and such plant encroachment is generally avoided in such building types.

Submitted in all helpfulness.

RIBob 

Right, there'll be plenty of differences in the roofs and shapes of buildings when finished RiBob. 6 entirely different city block models go a long way in terms of diversity, :) Just look at the above pictures.

VBH

The Italian theatre is slowly getting the right atmosphere. This is the first of two special historic models.

VonBeerhofen

ROMAN1.jpg

ROMAN2.jpg

ROMAN3.jpg

Historic building Nr, 2 just got finished and took 5 days to build, fulltime, so people interested in modelling have an idea of the time invested in these.

VonBeerhofen

ROMAN4.jpg

I see the ledges around the building, that must have made it harder to make.

Anyway good going. To bad it takes so long given the current tools used for the last 15 years or more are the same.

Mark,

it's a bit more work to add those ledges but it's making it harder to obtain a proper rendering sequence from the R/S calculator. This object has it's own peculiarities which needed solving as it wasn't working right off the bat. That's where a lot of time is spend, on figuring out the problem and finding solutions.

It's still not entirely there but I know what the problem is and will fix it, next I'll use the remaining space in the model to add more detail and/or appropiate objects, which should add a little more to the realism aspect. This again depends on how much room my drawing still has to add such items, and may potentially interfere with the R/S calculator again, as every polygon added will change that outcome.

There's no need for these additions right now when the object works as it should, and they can always be added at a later stage, it all depends on the energy I have to work further on these things. For now I'm pretty pleased that I am 100% certain that I can solve it's issues given the current situation.

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Another 100% model, i.e. it can not be further improved as it's using everything a single EAW 3D model can use. A British icon, the Flying Scotsman.

VonBeerhofen

FlyingScotsman1.jpg

FlyingScotsman2.jpg

Geez wouldn't look forward to attacking that beast,,Could troops be added to it ??

Here's a link to the real thing

Video

I saw it several times when it was in the shed at Dinting, and the last time I saw it was when it visited Adelaide.

I remember standing in front of one of the big driving wheels for a photograph, and those wheels dwarfed me :rolleyes:

Edited by Jel

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Eagle114th
      Hello everyone!

I am certain that there are simmers out there in this community that still fly old simulations for sake of nostalgic and enjoyment.  For me, it is the wonderful old Jane's series simulation. There is no another sim that do amazing jobs with it, especially with the ACCESSBILITY. I had to say it many times.  there were time when people asked me "Why didn'tyou fly Flaming Cliff 3 for "low fideity' sim? SF2 is so old? Jane's series sim, it is so ANCIENT sim!"

Becasue it does not have accessbility that Janes' series sim and SF2 have: Subtitles and target box that help me spotting them, along with arrow for padlocking, due to sensory disability.  Another amazing features of Jane's Fighter Anthology / Jane's IAF / Jane's USAF and another Jane's sim is amazing tutorials and training. it actually feel very involving and immersive experiences for me.  No another sim does that before.  I wish SF1 / SF2 would have that immersive experiences, but again, it was develloped by 1 man so it can't be helped.  Jane's comat simulation was developed by team.

However, another thing I love about Jane's series sim is excellent "low fideity" envoriment. SF2 is the only sim that came in excellent envoriment after Jane's series sim.  However, SF2 still is lacking of enriched air to ground targetting system / radar / other anvionics that Jane's IAF / USAF / other sim have. (Jane's FA is too basic, I do realize, but it was their firs tsteps toward advacing into more advanced features in next generation simulation in the 1990s.)

And this might will surprise peope, I am currently working on mods for Jane's Fighter Anthology and Jane's USAF.  for jane's USAF, it is texture overhaul projects.  I am currenlty on a break from SF2 because it requires too much times of researching for accurate data, being just one man project, I do not have that time for now.  If I do have time for it with great resources on my hand, I might will restore the projects (SFCE). 

However, .I have been looking everywhere to find the right tools to view / open .P3D files for Jane's USAF.  Have anyone successfully opened or view the old 3D models? With that, I wil be able to quickly preview the 3D model with the new super resolution texture (By upscaling them 4x or 8x, work on it, then re-size it to 2x of the orignial resolution).

Just in case, if any of you wonder why I am modding ancient simulation? It is the same reasons with the people who mods the old classic car and modernize them.  Same thing with old furnitures and technologies.  I am like that with the old simulation.  I want to modernize them as much as possible.with excellent software and technologies we have now.  It is straight from passions and heart.  it is a shinig gems for us who loves old simulation that enriched us with childhood joyful memories.

I still fly SF2 from time to time, because it is also one of my gems. 

I wish there are newer simulation that does 'lwo fideity' like Jane's series sim and SF2, with excellent accessiblity features. 

Thank you,

Eagle114th
    • By MarkEAW
      Okay here's the first release of it.
      I forgot to mention in the readme that its hooked for direct input and has a virtual joystick.
      That will allow you to configure the game flight controls to keyboard and cam to mouse.
      (I don't think the virtual Joystick if selected in game will work) Its best to stay with keyboard until you get a physical joystick.

EAWPRO DXWnd Profile
      https://www.mediafire.com/file/sia0o8hby2r44tm/EAWPRO10_(Basic)-DXWnd.zip/file

For this Wrapper Program
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

• By VonBeerhofen
      People may have noticed the poor looking city models in EAW where it is actually possible to have at least twice and sometimes even three times as many buildings in a city block. With this knowledge I set out to create new 100% city blocks, to make EAW look more populated. Here you can see the difference between an original EAW block in the foreground vs a newly created block with the tower behind it. Notice that the original textures were replaced with the cleaner looking demo versions with replaced red roofs, so old and dirty black and new clean red can be mixed freely as required.

The plan is to turn these models into flat roofed variants which can be used in my Suez addon as well, with appropiate modifications ofcourse and complementing the buildings I already created for it. A mediterranean set is already in the works too and nearing completion.
      You heard it first on combatace.com!
      VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      A few screen shots of EAWPRO's Supertrees II in action. Supertrees was originally released as a standalone addon at Sandbagger's to replace the 'ugly' forrest models and single trees with tree clumps, providing the game with roughly 4 times as many trees. It's been widely copied into many different addons over the years and most likely you also have a version or variant in your game. Supertrees II uses newly designed tree models which now have 25 trees in a single 3DZ, making it another 100% model using all 255 available polygons. EAWPRO can use two of these in a single object slot. This now again doubles the number as each treeslot contains 50. Here's a few screnshots of how it looks in the Final Cut. Notice the maxed out view depth on the tiles which also causes objects to remain visible from above the clouds! 

VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      It still had some room for improvements so I added more rigging to keep the crows nest more stable and added 3 machine guns on the aft balcony and arrestor wire, hope that's the right terminology. Plz correct me if I'm wrong, :D I still have some room left so maybe I can cram something else in.
      VonBeerhofen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..