I am sick and tired of working with 3D studio 2009 because it doesn't really support DirectX 10.  3-views look all blurry and paint looks like a first grader who needs glasses did it.... I have the 2011 version ,but of course the TW exporter is not compatible. and I might as well blow smoke up my butt before TW does an upgrade....a bit frustrating

Edited by Veltro2k
  • Like 1

Three options:

1) Continue to deal with it.

2) Move on to a more modern sim.

3) Write your own sim :P

you forgot option 4,,,,

4) Win the lottery, forget about everything , and travel the world..LOL :lol:

• Haha 3

you can use max 2014 iirc they save files as max 2009 I think   I know 2011 does

some of the plug in sites that have developers there sometimes do stuff by request,might be worth us trolling the sites and finding a guy who can make new exporters,there are clever peeps out there..btw i use 64bit then export out via 32bit one.

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Veltro2k said:

I am sick and tired

I read it and my men's tears dripped onto my keyboard. I feel the same, friend! Same! But we have to accept it. But this is sorrow and our pain. We all doomed.

8 hours ago, Veltro2k said:

I am sick and tired of working with 3D studio 2009 because it doesn't really support DirectX 10.  3-views look all blurry and paint looks like a first grader who needs glasses did it.... I have the 2011 version ,but of course the TW exporter is not compatible. and I might as well blow smoke up my butt before TW does an upgrade....a bit frustrating

If you set the material editor to "Hardware Display with Maps" it should make it smoother and clearer. Look at the difference in the 2 screenshots provided. Using 3D Max 2009. 1 with a standard display with maps which looks like you described lol. But if you set it like how I explained it should be better. You'll see more details/get better results.

Annotation 2019-07-30 112239.png

Annotation 2019-07-30 112314.png

Another example

Annotation 2019-07-30 113659.png

Annotation 2019-07-30 113715.png

Edited by GKABS
  • Like 2

Don't for a second think that we don't appreciate your efforts in wrangling the beast in order to produce your quality wares, Veltro!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

you can use max 2014 iirc they save files as max 2009 I think   I know 2011 does

Hello russouk,  

I just wanted to correct what you stated if you don't mind me doing so.  you can only use max 2010 to save as 2009 but anything above that can only save three down for example 2014 can save as 2013, 2012, 2011. with the exception for 2011 cant save down. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GKABS said:

If you set the material editor to "Hardware Display with Maps" it should make it smoother and clearer. Look at the difference in the 2 screenshots provided. Using 3D Max 2009. 1 with a standard display with maps which looks like you described lol. But if you set it like how I explained it should be better. You'll see more details/get better results.

Another example

That example screenshot with that generator instrument panel: That is 3DSmax downsizing textures.

I don't know why 3DSMax 8 and 2009 are downsizing textures by default. But in the Preferences-Viewport and UVW-unwrap-options you can set texture size to either the maximum, or to match bitmap size etc. See screenshot. Also Setting forced anti-aliasing in Radeon/Nvidia driver display settings helps smoothen things.

EDIT: Note that the forum seems to scale the attached image, making it fuzzy again. Also I use OpenGL since Direct3D gave me issues.

3 hours ago, GKABS said:

Hello russouk,  

I just wanted to correct what you stated if you don't mind me doing so.  you can only use max 2010 to save as 2009 but anything above that can only save three down for example 2014 can save as 2013, 2012, 2011. with the exception for 2011 cant save down. 

Good info, thanks!

3dsmax2009.png

Edited by gerwin
  • Like 2

Perfect ! worked like a charm :clapping:

5 hours ago, GKABS said:

Hello russouk,  

no worries m8 if im wrong then dont mind being corrected at all..

as to the setings   i use em ...works fine for me...max2009 still not bad for its age...ot but bought copy of PS 2018 today....its great   can do bump and normal maps from basic install....love it   much better than my old cs 8

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Veltro2k said:

you forgot option 4,,,,

4) Win the lottery, forget about everything , and travel the world..LOL :lol:

Don't you mean, "Win the lottery, travel to Texas, buy the source code" ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CowboyTodd41 said:

Don't you mean, "Win the lottery, travel to Texas, buy the source code" ?

I would have it remade (or similar game like it)and brought up to date (not as resource hungry as DCS) ut so all pcs can run it...but still have its moddability like now....as in easy to add planes etc.

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GKABS said:

Hello russouk,  

You simply have to be more creative: For example, you can save down from 2014 to 2012, correct? Then from 2012 you can save down to 2009, correct? Where there is a will, there is a way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1