This is shit...WIILL not allow alpha channel any transparency...wtf  dont buy it

why do you think I'm still using Photoshop 6!!!

(btw, anybody got a spare copy of PS7, and dds patch??? :lol:)

this is a fekking joke...used to be able to create a layer for back,then layer on top with decal...make decal slight transparent...to allow rivets and panel lines to show up..mereged layers..then select area around dec,select invert and add as alpha layer and save as tga...now not even my copy of cs6 will do it...wtf is going on ?...im about to throw a wobbly lol  even reinstalled it cs6 and still f**k all...

all I wanted to do was make some Romanian roundels and add them to update for wings textures for those who wanted decals on the Mig21MF skin I did...and ive been at this for four fekking hours lol

I've used PS CC2018 the last years and never had a problem with transparency on tgas. It just works.

Here's a quick test decal I just made with CC.

test_decal.7z

and the result (the blue area):

test-decal.thumb.jpg.784d26623215b29db7f41bc2a4c7e7d8.jpg

its odd....dont know why it wont allow opacity to alpha channel

yet with paint.net I made a roundel on blank background...reduced its transparency for roundel to 85% saved as tga and worked...didnt even have to assign the roundel as alpha channel it just did it

its not happened before...can you send me some steps pics of you doing it ?..cheers...see if my cc2018 settings are off maybe...

Edited by russouk2004

ive always done it this way and worked ok..with default settings for selection tools etc.

its just baffling why it wont work.

I selects background,then inverse...then add selection as alpha,after reducing opacity a tad in the image layer b4 selecting it....then save out...previously its never failed...

last shot...alpha layer in psp and its just not opaque in the least....crazy..

Image2.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image10.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Nothing is as quick as GIMP for making TGA's especially if you make 256x256 transparency your default screen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

its odd....dont know why it wont allow opacity to alpha channel

yet with paint.net I made a roundel on blank background...reduced its transparency for roundel to 85% saved as tga and worked...didnt even have to assign the roundel as alpha channel it just did it

its not happened before...can you send me some steps pics of you doing it ?..cheers...see if my cc2018 settings are off maybe...

I'm at work right now, but can send you step-by-step pics when I'm back home, no problem.

To make it a bit easier, you can also set up "Actions" in PS - it's some sort of makro. So with one click, you have done your decal.

• Thanks 1

Russ, are you starting with a blank/transparent layer as the background layer first?  If you don't have this, I've found that when the layers are collapsed when you save the file you can end up with a solid white or black background.  Another thing is I've often had better luck with merging visible transparent layers as opposed to completely merging all layers (esp. when using other programs like Paint.net, PS Elements, etc.)

16 hours ago, Wrench said:

I can open DDS in Photoshop 6.0. I have a plugin called "dds.8bi" for that. Maybe I got it from here (link below). Otherwise I can send it.

https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?dn=texture-tools-for-adobe-photoshop-8-55

I think that's the one, had to be the nvidia one

thanks!!

5 hours ago, swambast said:

Russ, are you starting with a blank/transparent layer as the background layer first?  If you don't have this, I've found that when the layers are collapsed when you save the file you can end up with a solid white or black background.  Another thing is I've often had better luck with merging visible transparent layers as opposed to completely merging all layers (esp. when using other programs like Paint.net, PS Elements, etc.)

I usually paste roundel on transparent background...you mean...have transparent layer...then  a trans[parent layer on top with roundel in it...? will try that  actually I think thats what im missing

for ordinary decals its great,just cant see why now its not working my old way....as I said tho..paint.net is so quick...just saving one transparent layer with opaque roundel and it saves it same in alpha channel without even asking lol

not fussed on gimp...tried latest  even altering opacity seems slow the way they have those sliders...too much on screen atonce in seperate tabs all over the screen lol

its no biggie this issue...its just I dont give in when summats wrong  need to find what ive done wrong lol  my age I guess,im old forgive me ha ha

nah swam....alpha channel still solid colour...im at a loss as to why

Edited by russouk2004

Here's my way to do decals (I'm sure there are easier ways out there):

1. Create new picture

1.jpg.908e8b5cb8b0b65f604104cc7c896743.jpg

2. Make a new layer for your decal (Blue Circle in this case)

3. Hold CTRL and left-click on the Pencil-Square-thing on the decal-layer of the layers-tab to select the decal-shape

2.jpg.12430319e892f7649e682853ab4b4212.jpg

4. Go to channels tab and left-click on the rectangle with the hole inside at the tabs bottom to save the selection as alpha-channel

3.jpg.0f890fd935a1f192b2a1b6bc45f967f8.jpg

5. Select the Alpha-channel (all other channels are not visible then --> eye-symbol only on alpha-channel). The Decal is all white (hex #ffffff), that means the decal has 0% transparency. If it is all black (hex #000000) like the background, than it is 100% transparent. All you have to do is to adjust the "color" of your decal. Select a foreground-color (to get a similar blackish tone like TK, I use color hex#d6d6d6, that has a slight transparency) and use "Edit->Fill..." from the menus, select in the "Fill"-window "foreground color", normal and 100% and hit ok. The Decals color on alpha-channel should change now (but not on the color-channels). Save as .tga and make sure "Alpha-Channels" is selected.

The key to transparent decals is the color of your decal on the alpha-channel...black = 100% transparent, white = 0% transparent/opaque. grey-tones are in between, the darker - the more transparent

4.jpg.cd8a625324dff17d4179c5ee3e8e18ab.jpg

6. Thats it!

You have to do more steps to get a transparent decal in PS than in gimp and afaik tgas from PS always (must) have a background. But the steps above can be used in "Actions". These are makros, where you can record the above steps and just hit "play" to do a new decal - nice and easy. Set it up properly once and make things easier for you in the future.

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Haha 1

you know what...im a complete moron....basically what I used to do...same way as b4 but.....select area around my dec...invert selection...paste as alpha....then I filled alpha with 75% grey ...sorted. works a treat I need a new brain...when I saw this post It came back lol seeing the swatches reminded me I kept grey in there as custom colour

Edited by russouk2004
  • Haha 2

glad you got it sorted Russ!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

you know what...im a complete moron....basically what I used to do...same way as b4 but.....select area around my dec...invert selection...paste as alpha....then I filled alpha with 75% grey ...sorted. works a treat I need a new brain...when I saw this post It came back lol seeing the swatches reminded me I kept grey in there as custom colour

What I usually do is not leave the decal layer transparent, in case the selection fails and then find white pixels on the edges ... in your example, I leave the red background in the original layer and make the transparency in the layer alpha in the channel tab, making the absolute black counterform contrast the white of the decal ... with PS it is simple to make the selection in the layer, invert it, the selection is saved and in the channels I create an alpha layer and open the selection again and I paint in white (or gray) and black where it belongs

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 6:58 PM, Wrench said:

man, PS6/7 are really the ultimate skinning programs

• Like 2

Paint Shop Pro is old but I like 7.04...its brill for anything but tgas

and now free...on many free app sites and old app sites...abandonware sites too iirc

give it a try   https://paint_shop_pro.en.downloadastro.com/old_versions/

Edited by russouk2004