WallysWorld

Mission completed. Return to base question.

Just playing Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam using the excellent air and ground expansion mod and sometimes on the way to my target another flight reaches the target first and destroys it and thus Red Crown orders me to return to base.

What do other players do when you get this message? Do you continue to the target area and find other targets of opportunity or do you return to base as ordered and dump your ordnance on the way back? I would like to hear any opinions, please.

What was the real standard operating procedure for US forces in Vietnam if their mission was completed or cancelled before they reached the target?

Thanks.

Edited by WallysWorld

For me, it depends on the remaining fuel.
Or on the probability of being shot down.

As for the real thing, I've read they were retasked, but I cannot tell it was a standard procedure at that time during Vietnam operations..

In Afghanistan retasking was a daily procedure, including air refuelling each time, from french air force pilots tellings.

What Cliff said, but usually I find the nearest target and dump my load on them, usually airfields If there are any in the vicinity, would be my target of choice.

• Like 1

In Flight of the Intruder book i remenber they had two objetives, one principal and one secundary, but like says troski00 i look the nearest objetive and drop my load

I know RAF in gulf were told come back if targets gone...but if you do see summat on way back...engage if safe to egress out safely otherwise leave alone and call it in.

• Like 1

For me, Targets of Opportunity, with special emphasis on AAA & Sam emplacements, enemy ground transportation and/or shipping if I can find some, or airfields. I hate taking unused ordinance home.

• Like 3

usually, I try to find something of value to the enemy, and blast it. Things like POL storage, ships, warehouses, water buffalo, hospitals, orphanages. Things of that nature

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

For me, usually ground vehicles then air defenses.  I try to keep any and all air-to-air ordinance I can... you never know when you'll need that AAM-5 or AIM-9.

Super thanks for the replies. I will start looking for targets of opportunity whenever I get that mission completed message.

For such situation, Maybe a cockpit expert can program some mini games like Pong or Tetris into the MFD? ;)

• Haha 2