Sign in to follow this  
rotton50

160 and Support?

Spot on Mark I sent Bob my 1.60 win 7 install,,best he deletes the ini and lets EAW rebuild it and tries to set up a single mission and run it first otherwise the single mission set up will be buggered

10 hours ago, MarkEAW said:

There are no others willing to post, its normally the unknown users that has the problems

A statement made without any supporting evidence :no:

No evidence shown to you, no.
The fact is there are more visitors than there are participating users posting. Maybe that statement will help you figure the math.

I been around helping people long enough with this project and others and I know the math myself, I just didn't know you want to challenge everything I say, and make it problematic.

23 hours ago, rwatson said:

Spot on Mark I sent Bob my 1.60 win 7 install,,best he deletes the ini and lets EAW rebuild it and tries to set up a single mission and run it first otherwise the single mission set up will be buggered

Can do.  Will report back with results.

So, just delete  current contents of Ini folder--leaving the empty folder-- and run a single mission, NOT Instant combat, right?  Mind you, all this is on Win 10.

uh? the eaw.ini file, delete it. EAW will rebuild it when run, then set up a single mission and fly it.

Edited by MarkEAW

Will do.  Downloading huge file from employer concerning retirement right now, so getting back with results might take some time.  Stand by.

And thanks for the help.   Nice to see there are folks who will help out self-admitted 'dummies" like me.  Might be a few more of them around; Just guessing.

No offense to any Modder/Contributor, but IMHO, the single best thing to do, for the sake of the Game's future, is to concentrate on providing easily installable versions of the game that are entirely Win 10-compatible.   D/L the  Game file, install, and play.  Only something that simple will allow the game player base to grow. 

I am certainly no genius, but neither am I totally inexperienced, either.  I am having a few problems,installing the game into win 10.  Sure, they seem surmountable--right now.  Time will tell.

OTOH, it's unreasonable to ask a flat-out newbie to perform file-editing in order to install ANY game.  Old-timers, OK, they are used to it.  Newbies, no.  Just no.  The vast majority of them will be unfamiliar with doing such, and will dismiss doing so as not worth their time.  They will move on to another sim that does not require special knowledge to install.  That's the way it IS, people.   If it wasn't for Mark's EAW Help site, I would not be playing the game, and that's a certainty.  Oh, and I wouldn't be playing any of the alternate versions, EITHER.  Perhaps I speak for a number of other people, both on this Forum or not.  I believe that this is so. 

As I said before, newcomers to the game will likely be unwilling to jump through hoops in order to play the sim; they will get frustrated, and go elsewhere.  I mean NO offense to anyone, but just speaking my mind.  I want EVERY version of the Game to be easily installable and playable by modern users on Win 10.

If I may be so bold, I would ask EVERY Modder/Contributor to STOP the fine work they are currently doing, and instead re-focus their efforts on providing versions  of their Game that are easily accessed by Win 10 users.  We have here a situation of Modders building ever-better creations, but with a diminishing number of people able to play it.  Like building a city, with no access roads.

Surely the same skills that the Modders possess can be applied, for a brief time, to providing versions of the game that a computer semi-literate can download and play.  Is that too much to ask to ensure the future of the game?

Edited by RIBob

I think you just place the 7z files into the main game folder and unzipp, let it over write by confirming yes to some of them. If your not paying atttention to what your doing you can mess up.

Jel can't really provide a single 7z I don't think, either too large or portions get updated from time to time. I forget why. I use to wait for the single standalones myself before downloading anything.

Alright well hope you figure it out.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, Jel said:

Which posts, apart from yours and RIBobs?

Can we put the "Front End" discussion into the background for a moment?  I'm having some problems installing the game into Win 10, and that problem concerns me the most, at present.

After the game is successfully installed, and runs, then we can re-visit any problems with it, including the "Front End".  I notice you have made some revisions to it, all improvements, and thanks for doing so.

Once I have the game successfully installed on Win 10, I will use the existing front end, and give my reactions, either privately, or publicly, as you wish.  Please DO NOT consider me as having anything but friendly intentions to yourself, your sim, or any other variants of the game, for that matter.

I make constructive criticism, from time to time, to various Modders of the game.  Not always in public.  I know you have received IMs from me, and others have received IMs as well.  Some suggestions are considered, some dismissed.  Fair enough.  I DO NOT take sides in the battles amongst devotees of one version or another of the game.  I like them all, and appreciate them for what they are.

Please DO NOT make the serious mistake of thinking me to be a devotee of one version of the sim over another.  I am agnostic, so to speak, and want the very best for them all.

12 minutes ago, MarkEAW said:

I think you just place the 7z files into the main game folder and unzipp, let it over write by confirming yes to some of them. If your not paying atttention to what your doing you can mess up.

Jel can't really provide a single 7z I don't think, either too large or portions get updated from time to time. I forget why. I use to wait for the single standalones myself before downloading anything.

Alright well hope you figure it out.

Do your favorite "Dummy"--not your phrase, a BIG favor, and re-phrase the above in single steps.  Treat me like I am a Newbie, please.  Assume nothing on my part.

From the instructions

When you run the "eaw.exe" (maybe with your own "eaw.ini") it should give you the UAW default ETO theatre and aircraft.
This will be a test to see if your system works

It is suggested that you use your own "eaw.ini" file.

You must have one from your Win7installation, but did you try it?

Yes, I have.  The game (in Win 10) now launches, and almost instantly freezes.  There is a very slight amount of initial movement of the image on the screen, maybe a frame or two, and a short squawk from the sound system, then complete freeze-up. 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, Jel said:

Have you tried with no "eaw.ini" at all?

No, not yet.  By "no "eaw.ini" at all", do you mean delete the eaw.ini folder altogether, or to leave the folder, and delete its' contents?

1 hour ago, RIBob said:

No, not yet.  By "no "eaw.ini" at all", do you mean delete the eaw.ini folder altogether, or to leave the folder, and delete its' contents?

That is a strange question because there is no "eaw.ini" folder, just an "eaw.ini" file.
As Russ writes you can re-name the current one.

When there is no "eaw.ini" file the exe writes a new one with the default settings.

7 minutes ago, Jel said:

That is a strange question because there is no "eaw.ini" folder, just an "eaw.ini" file.
As Russ writes you can re-name the current one.

When there is no "eaw.ini" file the exe writes a new one with the default settings.

OK, my apologies in misnaming folder for file.  Will delete the whole ini file, and proceed.  Will advise, and thank you!.