Faroe Islands terrain

Faroe islands 1.0

This terrain is written for SF2NA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I. Short description:

North of Scotland you will find small groups of islands, the Shetlands and the Faroe. They are nothing more than tiny rocks, surrounded by the icy waters of the Atlantic Ocean. On the first view completly unimportant rocks somewhere in the nowhere. But a second view shows high economical values. The islands sitting in the middle of rich fishing grounds, and then, even more, there is oil. North Sea oil.
But not enough. A powerfull nation, that is able to install a base at the Faroe, rules all the waters between Iceland and the british islands. A hostile nation might be even able to raise a blockade over Great Britain.

This makes some scenarios possible:

First the classical what if the Soviets would had captured the Faroe and the US Navy starts an attempt to push them out.

Second, what if America sends the Marines?

Third, what if Britain tries to defeat the Soviets with own power?

Forth, what if Hitler-Germany would have captured the Faroe?

Fifth, what if the EU raise a blockade over a Brexit UK?

Sixth, what if Britain was bought by President Trump instead Greenland and John Bull stand up to fight fort the british independence?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

II. INSTALLATION:

To run this terrain you need SF2NorthAtlantic.

Unzip all files into your saved game folder ...ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2NorthAtlantic /terrain folder.

Thats it.

III. Modifications

Faroe islands terrain is made so, that you can play it out of the box. You will find a classic Cold war scenario US Navy vs Soviet forces.

Other possible scenarios are prepared.

Open the folder Goodies and you will find the folder Nation ini
In this folder you find 6 subfolders, one for each scenarios i have descriped above.
Choose the one you like.
In this subfolders you find the file FAEROER_NATION.ini.
Copy this file to the Faeroer folder and let overwrite the existing file and enjoy the other scenario. (BTW personaly i prefer Brexit scenario. Flying Hunters vs Hunters is really fun.)

Faroe islands terrain is made so, that you has 2 fixed carrer stations. For the red side a station north of the Shetlands. For the blue side south of the Faroes.
If you want to have multible carrier stations, than you must open the Subfolder "multible carrier stations" and copy the file FAROE_WATER.bmp to the Faroe folder.

When i started to make Faroe islands terrain i used TOD files made by M.Broers for the IcelandNA HFD terrain. Later i found out, that on the Faroes no trees exist. So i decided to remove the TOD files. If you want trees and TOD buildings, the copy the tod files in the Faroe folder. But be aware, there are not all tiles fitted with tods. It looks a little bit strange.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IV. Credits.
The basic Tileset i took from M.Breors terrain IcelandNA HFD.

The basic files for the emergency runways, parking areas and quais are made by ErikGen.

The OilRig was made by RussoUK for my PersianGulf terrain.

I hope i have not forgotten someone.

V. This Terrain is Freeware. Commercial use is not allowed.

And i say it again for the YAP, YankeeAirPirates file thiefs, the use of this terrain and parts of  the terrain for commercial use is not allowed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VI.

For remarks, comments, bugs, etc please use CombatAce forum or send me a PM.

Hope you enjoy it.

Michael (Gepard)

Made in Germany
31. August 2019

• Thanks 3

Great new terrain, thanks Gepard!  Very barren and sub-Arctic looking.

The oilrigs look great, and the occasional flocks of sheep are a nice touch! (although at 1.7m tall, they are pretty big sheep!)

Great! I've had ideas in mind for this terrain ever since you first posted screenshots of it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gatling20 said:

Great new terrain, thanks Gepard!  Very barren and sub-Arctic looking.

The oilrigs look great, and the occasional flocks of sheep are a nice touch! (although at 1.7m tall, they are pretty big sheep!)

Dont know what the Brits are doing with their sheeps. Perhaps it is the good beer ...

Hello Michael,

great Terrain, but i have a Problem with it.

When i create a Mission with the Mission Editor from TW, the game freezes in the mission Editor screen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soulfreak said:

When i create a Mission with the Mission Editor from TW, the game freezes in the mission Editor screen.

It also happened to me with some custom terrains I made, featuring few land areas. I even had crashes with stock SF2 terrains! TK never bothered to fix the Mission Editor, I'm afraid. So, Gepard can't do much about it.

Edited by Menrva

9 minutes ago, Menrva said:

It also happened to me with some custom terrains I made, featuring few land areas. I even had crashes with stock SF2 terrains! TK never bothered to fix the Mission Editor, I'm afraid. So, Gepard can't do much about it.

I only got that Problem with the Faroe Islands Terrain.

8 minutes ago, Soulfreak said:

I only got that Problem with the Faroe Islands Terrain.

I understand, but as I said, it looks like it's the Mission Editor that is not meant to work with terrains having very few land areas. That terrain is mostly water. And I had also experienced rare crashes with stock SF2 terrains on a clean mod folder, I never understood why. You can ask Gepard for a fix, I hope he will find one. I, on my part, have thoroughly investigated the issue when working on a similar terrain and concluded that the Mission Editor does have some issues on its own.

Edited by Menrva

On 16.9.2019 at 11:24 AM, Soulfreak said:

Hello Michael,

great Terrain, but i have a Problem with it.

I was not aware of such a problem. I tried it to create a mission with TW mission editor and it workes fine for me. But i must admit, that i only added an additional flight and nothing more.

What exactly you have done? What kind of mission?

Perhaps the problem has something to do, that the terrain is restricted on allowed mission types. CAS and Armed_recon are not implemented in the map.

Edited by Gepard

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

Perhaps the problem has something to do, that the terrain is restricted on allowed mission types. CAS and Armed_recon are not implemented in the map.

Could also be, since the Mission Editor shows not allowed mission types.

I had crashes with the Mission Editor when trying to edit saved campaign missions, on a stock, clean SF2 mod folder. My firm statement is that the Mission Editor is bugged on its own. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't. It shouldn't crash on stock terrain files, but it does!