Blackburn Buccaneer S.22 - RAAF

This is the Blackburn Buccaneer for the Royal Australian Air Force. This package consists of complete aircraft.

Historical Background

When considering its Canberra replacement, the Australian Government looked at a variety of options, including the Mirage IV, the A-5 Vigilante, and the TFX (F-111). Britain's Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral of the Fleet Lord Louis Mountbatten pushed the Blackburn Buccaneer. The Buccaneer did not come close to meeting RAAF requirements, but what if it was adopted? 

Given the lower price of the Buccaneer, we would have had a more than 24 - perhaps twice that. Enough for 3 squadrons easily. Deliveries of RAAF Buccaneers began in 1965 to 82 Wing at RAAF Amberley, Queensland. The RAAF Buccaneers were given the mark number Strike Mark 22. They were generally similar to the Royal Navy's Buccaneer S.2. An ILS was fitted, and some of the carrier-deck equipment was deleted, but the hydraulic folding wings were retained. In addition to the British twin bomb rack, the BRU-42 Triple Ejector Rack was procured, and US bombs such as the Mark 82 and M117 were tested. 

3 RAAF squadrons were equipped with Buccaneers. 1 Squadron was the primary strike squadron, 2 Squadron also performed the strike role, and was intended for forward defence if necessary, and 6 Squadron was tasked with conversion training and reconnaissance. 6 Squadron also backed up 1 Squadron. 

2 Squadron was the first RAAF Buccaneer unit to see combat. It was deployed in 1967 to Phan Rang Air Base in South Vietnam to support the B-57 Canberras of the USAF's 35th Tactical Fighter Wing. Between 1967 and 1972, 2 Squadrons Buccaneers performed thousands of missions in South Vietnam. With the addition of electronic countermeasures pods, RAAF Buccaneers were authorised to operate over North Vietnam. 2 Squadron Buccaneers also provided direct support to the Australian Task Force in Phuoc Tuy Province. 2 Squadron lost 1 Buccaneer in an accident, and sustained no losses due to enemy action, though a number of aircraft were damaged by ground fire. 

Upon their return to Australia, the Buccaneers moved towards a precision strike role with laser guided bombs, and maritime strike with the AGM-84 Harpoon. A number of ex-Royal Navy extra aircraft were purchased to replace attrition. Progressive upgrades kept the force operating efficiently. 

In 1990, Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein ordered the invasion of Kuwait. 2 Squadron's Buccaneers formed part of the RAAF's contribution to Operation Damask. RAAF Buccaneers attacked Iraqi ground forces, airfields, and communication and transport infrastructure. Unlike RAF Buccaneers, the RAAF Buccaneers dropped bombs from their first day. The RAAF's Buccaneers used laser guided bombs, and introduced the AGM-84E SLAM into RAAF service. The Buccaneers also took part in the Battle of Bubiyan using Harpoon missiles against the Iraqi Navy. 3 RAAF Buccaneers were lost to ground fire, with 2 aircrew killed. 

2 Squadron's return to Australia heralded the twilight of the Buccaneer's Australian service. In 1992, the Australian Government dropped plans to upgrade the Buccaneers and began to look for a replacement. The Buccaneer would continue in the strike role until 1996, and a small number would be used for reconnaissance until 1998. 

The options to replace the Buccaneer were the Panavia Tornado, and the F-15E Strike Eagle - but those are skins for another time, or another modder.

Package

4 full aircraft, plus bomb racks, and bonus materials. The aircraft have been edited to use US weapons, and to allow the BRU-42 Triple Ejector Rack. Internal carriage of laser guided bombs is provided. 2 500 or 1000 lb Paveway bombs can be carried. The bomb bays will also carry 4 M117, or Mark 82.

Contents

• Buccaneer S.22A (1965-1970)
    • Green/Grey camouflage
    • SEAC camouflage
    • SEA camouflage
    • SEA Night camouflage
  • Buccaneer S.22B (1970-1983)
    • Green/Grey camouflage
    • Green/Grey camouflage with low vis roundel
    • Green/Grey wraparound camouflage
    • SEAC camouflage
    • SEAC wraparound camouflage
    • SEA camouflage
    • SEA Night camouflage
  • Buccaneer S.22B (1983-1989)
    • SEA camouflage
    • SEA Night camouflage
  • Buccaneer S.22B (1989-1998)
    • SEA camouflage
    • SEA Night camouflage
    • Desert camouflage (Operation Damask, 1991)
    • Medium sea grey
    • Gunship grey
  • Squadron markings with squadronlist.ini numbers
    • 1 Squadron: 716
    • 2 Squadron: 193
    • 6 Squadron: 787
  • Bonus Material
    • Generic day and night SEA textures. These are suitable for any air arm using SEA camouflage, such as the USAF, RNZAF, RBAF, or ROKAF.
    • RAAF SEA camouflage with SEAC roundels

Requirements
Ravenclaw007's Buccaneer RAF for SF2. In addition, to get full benefit out of the package, you should download all of his weapon packs. 

Installation

• (If not done already), download and install Ravenclaw007's Buccaneer RAF for SF2
  • Add the contents of "To Mod Folder" to your mod folder. Overwrite and merge when requested.
  • Ensure the squadron numbers in the decals match your squadronlist.ini folder. If they do not, edit accordingly. 
  • Bonus Materials: textures only. To be used, decals and ini files are required to make a complete skin.

Credits

• Original Model by Russouk2004
  • Skins and decals by Paulopanz
  • Loading and Hangar screens by Soulman and Gustav
  • FM rework by Kreelin,Spillone104,Baffmeister,Cliff11
  • 3D work,templates,Skins,weapon´s and cockpit´s by - ravenclaw_007
  • If anyone has been missed, please send me a message. 

Glad my old model sees the light of day  RC did good job of it....was looking at the old model ive got last night....forgot it was mine originally..RC did however probably do more to it than I did.

12 hours ago, Cliff7600 said:

Very interesting thread. It wasn't something I had thought of, largely because (unlike the Thuds, and Phantoms), I've never been hit, or even seriously threatened, in the Buccaneer. Nonetheless, I am editing all my Buccaneers. The good news is that I won't have to re-up my RAN Buccaneers when I get around to finishing them. They are a long way off, all I have are recoloured RN Buccaneers, and the skins are individual squadron skins. So I'll have to make a generic RAN skin with squadron decals. As to paint schemes, I have the RN colours. I'd also want to do USN gull grey over white, and the late-RAN camouflage (http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/Skyhawks 887 and 883.jpg). Possibly a couple of 1980s style schemes, perhaps something like this: https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-6/a-6_profile03.shtml, and this: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sea_Harrier_FRS1_of_800_Naval_Air_Squadron_c1991.JPEG

• Like 1

Thoughts on fuselage national markings. I am thinking nose, but fuselage is looking OK too - but a bit small for the USN/USMC. 

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

keep the US insignia on the intake, that'll free the nose mesh for Modex numbers. Simplest and easiest (read: lazy man's way!!! :lol: )

• Like 1

v 1.1.0 uploaded, with edited MinMax values.

N.B. Can the update be approved? 

Edited by Sheriff001
Approve update

While doing some research for the USN Buccaneer (McDonnell A-6 Bakunawa), I found this SAAF Buccaneer pic:

VqdBHaA.jpg 

That looks very much like 8 Mark 82s. I grabbed Ravenclaw's Buccaneer Mk 50, and found it replicated there. What I found is that if you use it, you can't load the M117, or any US cluster bombs. I think that if you have multiple bombbay in the data.ini set to allow BOMB, it won't come up well. Let's say I set up 3 bombbay systems, 1 for 2 LGB, Mark 83 or 84, or nuclear bombs (if so inclined); a second for four bombs (British 1000 lb, M117, CBU); and a third for 8 Mark 82. I think the result, if selecting from the loadout screen would be 14 Mark 82, or 6 M117/British 1000 pounders - clearly absurd.

Does anyone know of a way to set a minimum length and/or diameter for a weapon station?

Edited by Sheriff001

2 hours ago, Sheriff001 said:

Does anyone know of a way to set a minimum length and/or diameter for a weapon station?

Afaik there is none - you just can set up a maximum, not a minimum. I encountered the problem on another case. AGM-12 Bullpups - the small one (B) uses a rail (and therefore has a different position on the pylon), the big one (C) does not and there was no way to rule one out on a station since both are CGR.

I ended up using a special weaponstation for just the big missile with a "specificstationcode="-entry for the station and created a copy of the weapon with that code. Not beautiful, but it worked.

Edited by Nyghtfall

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] RAAF RA-5C Vigilante
      North American A-5D Vigilante for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of Julhelm's RA-5C to create a fictional A-5D Vigilante in service with the Royal Australian Air Force in the 1964-1989 timeline. Some of you might be aware that an Aussie Vigilante was seriously considered in the early 1960's as a replacement for the RAAF's outdated Canberra bombers but the Menzies government eventually chose the F-111C in October 1963.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the WEAPONS folder drag and drop the A-5D_FUEL folder into your Weapons folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Special thanks to Julhelm for bringing the awesome Vigilante to the SF universe!
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - December 31, 2023
      (Previously released as a skin only but trapped in the What If aircraft hangar)
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 08/06/2009 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      North American A-5D Vigilante for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of Julhelm's RA-5C to create a fictional A-5D Vigilante in service with the Royal Australian Air Force in the 1964-1989 timeline. Some of you might be aware that an Aussie Vigilante was seriously considered in the early 1960's as a replacement for the RAAF's outdated Canberra bombers but the Menzies government eventually chose the F-111C in October 1963.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the WEAPONS folder drag and drop the A-5D_FUEL folder into your Weapons folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Special thanks to Julhelm for bringing the awesome Vigilante to the SF universe!
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - December 31, 2023
      (Previously released as a skin only but trapped in the What If aircraft hangar)
    • By jeanba
      Operation desert Storm
    • By Menrva

View File Timor, North Oceania (1950-2018)
      Timor, North Oceania (1950-2018) Terrain
      August 13th, 2018 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This is a complete remake of the Modern Darwin terrain made by Wrench.
      A better and more complete tileset has been added, improving the looks of Northern Australia with the introduction of desert and barren valleys. Various rivers and lakes have been hand-tiled and mimic Real World courses. Now the island of Timor has a lot of bases to take-off from. Numerous target areas, such as emergency airstrips and civilian airports, have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year range.
      This terrain features a fresh new 250m resolution heightmap (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall it provides the whole terrain with a better look.
      The terrain spans from August 17, 1950 (when President Sukarno proclaimed a single unitary Republic of Indonesia) to December 31, 2018; it is designed for fictional clashes between ANZUS/SEATO forces (namely Australia and New Zealand) and a random pool of Red Side countries (namely Indonesia and China).
      Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, some airfields will appear only after a certain year, according to historic changes. If you have SF2NA, naval fleets might spawn in the Timor Sea. Also, Off Map Airbases have been added and long range AI flights can be generated from them. All main targets have been placed accurately in their Real World locations.
      Ground Objects are not included. You can obtain the most needed from Wrench's original Modern Darwin terrain release.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -Wrench, for he had the idea of recreating such a scenario in the Strike Fighters world.
      -swambast, who provided me with invaluable help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and reworked for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
      -luk1978, for the waternormal bitmap he shared at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
      -MigBuster, I have included some of his great hi-res textures for runways.
      -Stary, for the hi-res PTO tileset he made, which I have reworked and expanded.
      -Brain32, for the gorgeous VietnamSEA tileset repaint he made, from which I borrowed a few tiles.
      -Centurion-1, Spudknocker and tiopilotos, for the impressive tileset they made for the Angola terrain, from which I borrowed some tiles.
      -Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
      -krfrge, who has produced a tutorial for recreating SF2-like planning maps, which prompted me to work on templates and my own high quality planning maps. Thank you very much!
      -comrpnt, for his Approach and Airfield Lighting Pack mod packages for SF1 series, which I reworked and included.
      Because the original terrain was made and tweaked numerous times by Wrench, I included the ReadMe files from his original packages, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the terrain package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 08/13/2018 Category Full Terrains  
    • By Menrva
      Timor, North Oceania (1950-2018) Terrain
      August 13th, 2018 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This is a complete remake of the Modern Darwin terrain made by Wrench.
      A better and more complete tileset has been added, improving the looks of Northern Australia with the introduction of desert and barren valleys. Various rivers and lakes have been hand-tiled and mimic Real World courses. Now the island of Timor has a lot of bases to take-off from. Numerous target areas, such as emergency airstrips and civilian airports, have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year range.
      This terrain features a fresh new 250m resolution heightmap (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall it provides the whole terrain with a better look.
      The terrain spans from August 17, 1950 (when President Sukarno proclaimed a single unitary Republic of Indonesia) to December 31, 2018; it is designed for fictional clashes between ANZUS/SEATO forces (namely Australia and New Zealand) and a random pool of Red Side countries (namely Indonesia and China).
      Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, some airfields will appear only after a certain year, according to historic changes. If you have SF2NA, naval fleets might spawn in the Timor Sea. Also, Off Map Airbases have been added and long range AI flights can be generated from them. All main targets have been placed accurately in their Real World locations.
      Ground Objects are not included. You can obtain the most needed from Wrench's original Modern Darwin terrain release.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -Wrench, for he had the idea of recreating such a scenario in the Strike Fighters world.
      -swambast, who provided me with invaluable help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and reworked for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
      -luk1978, for the waternormal bitmap he shared at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
      -MigBuster, I have included some of his great hi-res textures for runways.
      -Stary, for the hi-res PTO tileset he made, which I have reworked and expanded.
      -Brain32, for the gorgeous VietnamSEA tileset repaint he made, from which I borrowed a few tiles.
      -Centurion-1, Spudknocker and tiopilotos, for the impressive tileset they made for the Angola terrain, from which I borrowed some tiles.
      -Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
      -krfrge, who has produced a tutorial for recreating SF2-like planning maps, which prompted me to work on templates and my own high quality planning maps. Thank you very much!
      -comrpnt, for his Approach and Airfield Lighting Pack mod packages for SF1 series, which I reworked and included.
      Because the original terrain was made and tweaked numerous times by Wrench, I included the ReadMe files from his original packages, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the terrain package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..