tn_prvteye

You may want to see this - A message from 3rd Wire, CROWFUNDING campaign for Sf2 update

Yep..contributed.  Don't fly SF2 anymore since I've gone to all VR, so I'm hoping this goes over the goal enough.

And feel free to delete since you've already got it covered Wrench.

• Like 1

Stupid question...If you contribute, and he doesn't make the $25k goal and he decides not to move forward, is your donation returned?

Sorry, it's my first day on the internets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JSF_Aggie said:

Stupid question...If you contribute, and he doesn't make the $25k goal and he decides not to move forward, is your donation returned?

Sorry, it's my first day on the internets.

exactly lol  maybe 25K will make a nice holiday lol

• Haha 1

I chipped in what I could.  I wish the fundraiser stretched into October, when I do not have two out-of-state trips and can chip in more like $75.  I am hopeful we'd see at the least the mobile objects from the mobile games transfer over to SF2...

• Like 1

I am for it I would like to send $100 for the development and improving.  VR is what the game needs.  It is really about time TK deciding to give us the time to improve the game the way we need.

• Like 1

Contributed, 110$, that's all I can pay right now, wish he can put more days on the campaign, I think is a bit short on time.

Also shared in Facebook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I  am not sure about updating the game to DirectX 12, though. That means it will most likely drop support for DirectX 9 and 10, and it's just what my video card is capable of. With the game using DirectX 12, I wouldn't even be able to start it. I know that I need to upgrade (if only I could afford it now), but at the same time I hope he will always keep the DirectX 9 and 10 as an option for those with weaker GPUs. The game works good enough on Windows 10 as it is. I'd rather spend the funding on fixing broken AI behaviour with guided bombs, external dispensers, and probably re-add those features he originally had envisioned since SF1, ramp starts, and more complete radio chatter.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JosefK said:

am hopeful we'd see at the least the mobile objects from the mobile games transfer over to SF2...

For what end? Why downgrade object quality ? As i said before many times. We do not need new objects. This can be managed by modders here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

For what end? Why downgrade object quality ? As i said before many times. We do not need new objects. This can be managed by modders here.

Agree, what we need is bugs fixed, and functionalities added.

• Like 1

New content is always good in my personnal opinion, especially the interesting one from the android app. 

21 minutes ago, stuntman said:

New content is always good in my personnal opinion, especially the interesting one from the android app. 

Agree to disagree. First of all, those 3d models are bad, they do not match SF2 quality standards in any way, have no cockpits, are low poly and do not have transparent canopy glass as it should be in reality.

I do not understand all the people asking TK for more content, at the funding page. Either they do not understand what the funding is all about or I don't know what, really. We have so many high quality mods here that cover so many world scenarios. Some of you may remember that there was an Expansion No. 3 planned by TK, about the Mirage F1. It didn't materialize, yet in turn we got amazingly detailed Mirage F1 models by the community here, for free. As yakarov79 said, we modders can handle the content part; we may almost feel offended if so many ask TK for more content; I mean, what have we been doing all these years here at CA? Many of us here have continuously provided new stuff, the lifeblood and backbone of SF2. On my part I think I have released some decent quality terrains and miscellaneous mods and I have others on the way, all for free.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

In principle I like the idea of crowdfunding.
But in this case I wonder...

1.)...why TW started a "Keep It All" campaign instead of a "All or Nothing" campaign, since the goal of $25K was already stated?

2.)...why the Windows 10 update is so expensive? I thought the games (unsupported) run already on Windows 10. Is the update to DirectX 12 really necessary? I think Windows 10 supports DirectX10 quite well.

3.)...why the campaign is only two weeks long? I really doubt, that the $25K can be reached in this time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mue said:

1.)...why TW started a "Keep It All" campaign instead of a "All or Nothing" campaign, since the goal of $25K was already stated?

2.)...why the Windows 10 update is so expensive? I thought the games (unsupported) run already on Windows 10. Is the update to DirectX 12 really necessary? I think Windows 10 supports DirectX10 quite well.

3.)...why the campaign is only two weeks long? I really doubt, that the $25K can be reached in this time.

Agree. Mine is running perfect with W10 trouble free. The infamous two weeks... This might be a joke!!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mue said:

Is strange yes, specially the two weeks part, maybe we can try to ask for more time?

47 minutes ago, Wilches said:

Agree. Mine is running perfect with W10 trouble free. The infamous two weeks... This might be a joke!!!

Can be, but one can never be sure.

• Like 1

I didn't want to sound too negative. Anyway, I contributed some $. Maybe it helps...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menrva said:

Some of you may remember that there was an Expansion No. 3 planned by TK, about the Mirage F1. It didn't materialize, yet in turn we got amazingly detailed Mirage F1 models by the community here, for free. 

I seem to remember that TK announced SF2:North Atlantic with the F-14 as the showpiece and then TMF revamped their F-14 which must have cost TK some sales especially with some unkind comparisons. After that, TK announces a proposed Expansion No.3 showing us screenshots of the Mirage F.1 and then, guess what? The existing (BPAO) Mirage F.1 suddenly gets a revamp and we never heard about Expansion No.3 after that...

There's nothing wrong with revamping an older model but the timing was harsh on TK.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Spinners said:

There's nothing wrong with revamping an older model but the timing was harsh on TK.

So we stop modding and they will start doing their job? Modders are doing it for free in free time. So they can release it whenever it suits them. It is not the fault of modder that Mirage can be better nicer generally super, than the planned stock version.

• Like 1

If the goal of 25k is not reached, then what? In the page, there's nothing about returning money back in case the goal is not achieved.

He should make a list of the features included on the possible new update. As many guys said, current SF2 runs fine on windows 10 and also new content can be made by modders. On the other hand he could dramatically improve current game by adding new features such as:

- multiplayer, which is something that community always wanted,

- more realistic Al behavior,

- air to ground radar mode. It's extremely easy just pushing E and locking onto a ground target and then waiting for the AG missile to be within range.

- more realistic radar environment. Aircraft and ground radars should be capable of tracking not only cruise missiles but all types of missiles depending on their RCS.

- introducing anti-ARM capability. A ground radar station should have the ability to detect an incoming ARM and shut down in time making the ARM go ballistic.

- air to air refuel,

- fixing current bugs

I'm not into software developing, so I don't know how much money are needed to make all these things happen but I think 25k can not be reached in two weeks especially in 2019 when SF2 players are much fewer. But again there's nothing concerning what will be included.

Edited by tiopilotos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mue said:

I am runing the gmae using  windows 10 and it's runing flawlessly.

21 minutes ago, GKABS said:

I am runing the gmae using  windows 10 and it's runing flawlessly.

Maybe we should tell him that everyone is using it in WIN10, so he can use ALL the money to add new features???

It may run on Win 10 for most but it has never been supported on Win 10 (Wisely) - the code is very old which could cause issues not only with the game not working that TW would have to patch but also potentially security issues that I guess TW could be liable for.

If you wanted VR then pretty certain you need to be at least Direct X 11 so yes he would need to rewrite everything to use DX12 or Vulkan (unlikely)

It would be nice to see MP however one reason why Multiplayer was dropped was because the numbers that played it could not justify the effort according to TK. DCS is an example of this where their forums have a MP vocal Majority but they are a tiny minority of overall sales apparently.

• Like 1