Sign in to follow this  
russouk2004

3ds max newer versions

Just tested the latest FBX SDK...loaded model in max 2016 and 2010...only other versions I have access to....if you export via FBX plugin....SDK detects max version and installs app plugin..

it WILL work in max2009. via import FBX

limitations....

1,helpers turn to boxes.. no biggy

2,animated vertices wont scale  no biggy

3,textures dont show in mat editor but they do show if you unwrap a mesh.,so maybe just build model and make basic uvunwrap maps etc.....no biggy adding back to material editor. or just map and add textures in 2009

so far only problems.

so , my conclusions...

model in max 2016 or so..animate basics or do it in 2009....export via fbx  (MUST be version 2009.9)   select in drop down for versions.when exporting.

animate vertices you need in max 2009...really only needed for drag chutes..(.so not really that bad.)

all in all far better visually to model in newer versions....

Give it a try with model you dont want.

BEWARE....DONT SAVE MODEL ACCIDENTALLY AND LOSE ANY MAX2009 WORK...i NEARLY DID ..FORGOT THAT IT SAVES FILES IN SAME PLACE IF YOU INSTALA FURTHER VERSION OF 3DSMAX .THANK GOD FOR AUTOSAVE BACKUPS FUNCTION  LOL

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2