KJakker

PC Rebuild Questions.

Guy's I received the parts that I ordered to overhaul my system. However it has been ten years since I did more than plug in a new component and I have a question.

Can I install the drivers for my new motherboard and GPU on my existing system then swap the motherboard and associated components, reconnect everything and have it run?

I really don't want to have to reinstall everything. 

best thing is to fit mobs and ur gfx card then run installer \ drivers for mobo....then install ur gfx card drivers...mobo`s today usually reconfigure any thing such as ssds anyways....doubt mobo drivers would install correctly if you did it the way you describe..

I do not have any SSD's. I just want to avoid having to reinstall my OS from scratch.  

take out old mobo and gfx card stick new in put all dives etc back in and boot up,install yer mobo drivers bios etc....gfx card drivers and it will be done...why would you touch os?...no need

when u first reboot after new items...windows will load its drivers,then probably restart...then you add the drivers that came with your mob and gfx card,rather than windows drivers for them...all I did when put my mobo cpu mem and card in mine...works fine.

Edited by russouk2004

There are programs with which you can 'clone' your HDD to another drive (like your SSD). 
Worked like a charm for me a couple of years ago.

Everything in physically assembled and I have powered it on. It seems to be powering up, the LED's on the CPU cooler fan and the GPU light up and the fans run for a few seconds while the LED on the optical drive blinks, then they shut off for a second or two and then continuously repeats this behavior. 

What should be happening?

If I get errors I do this....remove all connections....

List them then on paper..like...

mainboard power blocks...then any remaining mobo power connectors..

then reseat gfx card,insert power cables etc

fit hdd hdmi cables or such...then power cables for drives...

then last memory in,

usb cables speaker cables etc...tick off as you go...

you can bet its something simple...usually is lol

Edited by russouk2004

Kjakker, are you swapping an Intel chipset motherboard with another Intel chipset motherboard, or are you going from an Intel chipset to an AMD chipset motherboard?  If you are changing motherboard chipset manufacturers, the system will not find any compatible chipset level drivers which load before the operating system.  It will be unable to access any drives, which is where then chipset level drivers are located.  

5 hours ago, NeverEnough said:

Kjakker, are you swapping an Intel chipset motherboard with another Intel chipset motherboard, or are you going from an Intel chipset to an AMD chipset motherboard?  If you are changing motherboard chipset manufacturers, the system will not find any compatible chipset level drivers which load before the operating system.  It will be unable to access any drives, which is where then chipset level drivers are located.  

I switching from Intel to AMD. Replacing an i7 920 on an Asus P6T board with an AMD Ryzwn 7 3700X on an ASRock B450 Pro4 board. 

if get probs....install drivers from the dvd  or cd thats come with the mobo ..you can run it from dos...open yer bios and set cd as boot

Just to let you know I have not been able to get BIOS to show up on screen. Just a continuous power on/off/on cycle.  

I have removed and remounted the CPU, CPU cooler, and the DIMMs with no change. 

I have taken a video clip of what happens when I power it on and attached it below.

DSC_0865.MOV

Also here are three photos that I took of the inside of the case as it is now.

5GtcU5I.jpg

G82IxZ1.jpg

YEYKiQz.jpg

KJakker, from the pictures it would appear you do not have a video card installed.  Are you using the onboard video?  Just trying to determine if you have any video output to check for error messages.  I watched the attached video, and saw the blinking led on the case front.  First impression is the system is looking for an operating system.  Since you are going from an intel chipset to an amd chipset, your new motherboard and processor will not be able to read any of the previous system's chipset drivers.  Do you have a speaker plugged into the motherboard pinouts? Do you get any beeps, which can be used for diagnostics.  

You mentioned you have not been able to have the bios show up on screen.  If I remember correctly, you need to hold down the INSERT key on startup to enter the bios.  Check your motherboard manual to confirm the bios is accessed with the INSERT key.  After opening the bios, you need to set a boot drive.

If you have the boot drive from your prior system connected, disconnect it.   Do you have a Windows 10 installation dvd?  If you do, set the dvd drive as your boot drive and insert the Windows 10 installation disk in the dvd drive after opening the tray.  

Before giving anymore advice, let me know if you have been able to access the bios.  I am kinda flying blind without knowing the answers to the prior questions.  

I do have a video card but for troubleshooting I am using the onboard video to remove variables. I plugged in the case speaker but I think it is defective as I do not recall it ever working. 

Here is a link to my motherboard. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Pro4/index.asp#Support

I do not have Windows 10. I am still on Windows 7 Ultimate. I had planned on waiting and doing an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 at the first of the year.

I also have a help thread over on The Tech Report forum as well if you want to read it.

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=122152

KJakker, I just waded through your thread on Techreport.  I had forgotten that the 3700X does not have any graphics capability.  That would certainly explain the lack of video output.  Did you re-install your video card to see if you have any on screen error messages?  If your current bios version does not support the 3000 series processors, you will have to flash to a current bios version.  Before flashing the bios, you really need to get video output to check for error messages.  

Do a google search for" ASRock B450 Pro4 and AMD 3700X " for any potential hints on your current adventure.  If it is a bios compatibility issue, you will find some other poor souls sharing your experience.  Check ASRock's user forums for helpful info.

20 hours ago, NeverEnough said:

KJakker, I just waded through your thread on Techreport.  I had forgotten that the 3700X does not have any graphics capability.  That would certainly explain the lack of video output.  Did you re-install your video card to see if you have any on screen error messages?  If your current bios version does not support the 3000 series processors, you will have to flash to a current bios version.  Before flashing the bios, you really need to get video output to check for error messages.  

Do a google search for" ASRock B450 Pro4 and AMD 3700X " for any potential hints on your current adventure.  If it is a bios compatibility issue, you will find some other poor souls sharing your experience.  Check ASRock's user forums for helpful info.

I just found out the cause of the issue I am having. My board was manufactured before the July 2019 so it does not have the a BIOS that supports 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processors. See this link for details. -> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Just a quick update. I am RMAing my motherboard with the manufacturer so that should solve the issue. Thanks for all the help. 

I do not have Windows 10. I am still on Windows 7 Ultimate. I had planned on waiting and doing an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 at the first of the year.

hope you sort it soonest....as to win 10...get the ms win tool from the ms site....and d\l the win10 pro when installing just pop in your win 7 key and it will upgrade you to win 10 pro  download the mediacreation tool here and it will get you the win 10 pro iso...just mount the iso on ur copy of win7 and it will upgrade you to full win 10 pro using the win 7 key...and then they send you a key to install windows again if you need to... https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Edited by russouk2004

FYI, I received the motherboard back from ASRock after having sending it to them RMA. I have the system reassembled and the system ran the BIOS and booted up to Windows. However Windows does not seem to be recognizing my USB connections (keyboard, mouse, and internet adapter), although the keyboard and mouse do work in BIOS so the physical connections are not an issue. I have managed to get an old keyboard with a PS/2 connection to work in windows.

An advice on getting my mouse and internet adapter recognized?

Issue resolved.

Edited by KJakker