Dave

DCS Viper Release Trailer

• Like 3

If nothing else, DCS World can be used to make some awesome videos. Who could have imagined how far PC graphics would come so quickly and how much time, effort, and money people would put into the models and textures to achieve such realistic and beautiful results? I prefer flight modeling and systems modeling detail/accuracy over graphics, but if I can have everything, I will take it all! As Queen once sang, I want it all and I want it now! I can't wait to get the F-4E. But one hole in the US lineup is the F-15. DCS now has very detailed modules for the rest of the "teen" series. The current F-15C is extremely fun to fly because the flight model is comparable to the other modules, but the Flaming Cliffs simple avionics can't compare to using fully modeled clickable cockpits in VR.

I know most people want the latest best aircraft and would rather have an F-22 or F-35. But I would rather have the early IOC versions of the F-14A, F-15A, F-16A, and F/A-18A as these were the state of the art aircraft I grew up with that replaced my beloved F-4 and they had quite a few ugly warts that make them more interesting to fly and fight: engine problems, radar and ECM issues, etc. Not to mention missiles that were at best marginally better than what we finished Vietnam with. Fortunately, Heatblur plans to provide the F-14A. But I doubt we will ever see any other early variants of the "teen" series.

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 3

Downloaded my copy today!

I agree with SE that having a high-fi F-15C would be great.  With plans for an F-15E and an F-4(E?) still out there, I wonder how they're going to handle the multiple crew thing.  I think Heatblur did a fantastic job with the Jester interface if you're soloing it; wonder if they'll license the code?  I do prefer to fly with a human RIO/WSO, but Jester is a good, functional stand-in.

• Like 1

As cool as jester is, it is an immersion breaker for me. The graphical interface is quick and easy so you don't have to memorize all the commands, but what is the point of VR or 4K graphics if you have to break the immersion with a pop-up menu filling the screen? If I would take the time to use the vaicom voice module,  I would probably like it, but voice recognition is still a pain in the butt to deal with... too many bugs/misinterpreted phrases, etc. It is like talking to someone who is partially deaf and doesn't know English as a first language.

So far, I prefer having all controls from the backseat being available to me while I sit in the front seat: modes, range scales, cursor, etc. Modern HOTAS like the VKB MCG Pro have enough controls on the stick grip that I can operate the radar and fly/fight from the front seat. It may not be realistic, but it is better than dealing with AI or switching seats. The experience is similar to playing the SF series, where two-seaters were as implemented in a way that was easily as manageable as single seaters.

• Like 2

Never done EA before but gave it a spin and completed all the content without reading or watching a single training vid or manual. Bit surprised at how much was missing but anyway it can stay in the hangar now for a few years.

Yeah this Viper should not have been released in early access as featureless as it is compared to the Hornet. This was ED's attempt to appease the masses because the demand was high. ED has been very forthcoming with information and that is a wonderful thing. They need to put that Hornet on overdrive to get the rest of the features added then move that team to the Viper.  I am glad I bought it but its going to sit in the hanger for a bit I think.