To save time making one side of a model helps...I now use instances...so much better...

also found out...seems to work so far.

if you copy animated landing gear say...on left...mirror i...you lose some animation orientations.or they go squiffy...pain to redo anims eh...possibly not...try this below...

Ive found out by accident...if you mirror the whole wing\and animated parts as an instance....move in place with parent(wing) in my case ,and then make unique using make unique button modifier...seems to keep animations correct tried 3 times and works every time so far.. mirror tool at top NOT mirror modifier...that screws up anims unless you reverse anims in the dope sheet.

try it and let me know how you guys find it. if you didnt know the buttons here,only active whn an instance is selected.

mu.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Yes, it seems to keep the animation. One thing needs to be checked in game is - that since it is mirrored - the X-axis of the meshes faces the opposite compared to the world pivot. Not sure if it effects anything in game - gear rotation for example.

A thing to keep in mind though - you can not apply "X-form reset" on the animated parts nor on the highest mesh in that group as that will throw everything back/or around like it usually does.

yep xform reset is a mare...I now always xform reset a mesh in originaal position when ive scaled it before animating it...as to axis...seems not to affect it the instance way....

interesting. I will explore this ...It could save some time. 

• Like 1

yep just used it and its working fine...no hitches so far.

like making a piston...I make em in place where I 1st make basic cyllinder...shape it and size in place....scale it...xform it and animate and move in place....instanced the lot....made each mesh unique using that tool...and bingo works fine

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, russouk2004 said:

To save time making one side of a model helps...I now use instances...so much better...

also found out...seems to work so far.

if you copy animated landing gear say...on left...mirror i...you lose some animation orientations.or they go squiffy...pain to redo anims eh...possibly not...try this below...

Ive found out by accident...if you mirror the whole wing\and animated parts as an instance....move in place with parent(wing) in my case ,and then make unique using make unique button modifier...seems to keep animations correct tried 3 times and works every time so far.. mirror tool at top NOT mirror modifier...that screws up anims unless you reverse anims in the dope sheet.

try it and let me know how you guys find it. if you didnt know the buttons here,only active whn an instance is selected.

mu.jpg

That is interesting, I should give it a try. thanks mate :drinks:

• Like 1