Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

FM Question: What controls AI/autopilot landing behavior?

specifically what data ini entries would adjust this?

currently aircraft in question does touch and goes, checked to make sure aircraft needing LARGE runway was landing on same in terrain. trying to find out entries so i can compare stock with the modded bird

16 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

specifically what data ini entries would adjust this?

currently aircraft in question does touch and goes, checked to make sure aircraft needing LARGE runway was landing on same in terrain. trying to find out entries so i can compare stock with the modded bird

Not sure if I understand the issue. Does the aircraft in question actually contact the runway or does it float along to the end? A couple of entries in the [FlightControl] section of the aircraft data.ini can lead to fast approaches.

[FlightControl]
StallSpeed=74.68.............................................check this
CruiseSpeed=202.93
ClimbSpeed=267.95
CornerSpeed=248.00
LandingSpeed=85.88.................................and check this if included.
MaxG=8.50
MaxSpeedSL=361.11
MachLimit=2.048
MachLimitDry=0.980
PitchDamper=0.4
RollDamper=0.4
YawDamper=0.0

Some early FM's might not have the LandingSpeed entry and if that's the case the game will base the approach speed off the stall speed. In either case the game will adjust the speed depending on aircraft weight. From my experience the "LandingSpeed" entry actually adjusts the final approach speed and will over ride the "StallSpeed" entry during final approach.

Some other entries that can be used to adjust the approach behavior are AI data entries:

[AIData]

LandingPitchForSpeed=-0.07
LandingThrottleForAltitude=0.05
LandingThrottleForVerticalSpeed=0.08

The above entries can be adjusted to try and get a stable approach but can require a lot of testing to get right. Sometimes adding additional gear or flap drag will help stabilize an approach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly what Baffmeister said above !

plus the fact that Cla Machtable datas can be edited to provide less lift when slowing down, and less drag as well.
The stock TW Machtable datas tend to give more drag and more lift when slowing down. In reality it's the opposite, but it's a way to replicate the effect of the induced lift on approach that the Cl0 and Cla values could not create (though Cla is induced lift). But it creates some weird behavior too, when departing and/or spinning.

I would say that all the flight model has an effect on the take-offs and landing for the lower speed parts.

The question is : which model is it ? (so we can try...)

• Like 3

its the G_89 and H_88 model B-52s, both of which were missing LandingSpeed=  entries.  just set one up for the H at 0.5 below stall speed and works good now. :good:

• Like 2