Menrva, I don't know what you did brother, but that water bmp works!!! Gotta be how my photoshop was not saving it correctly.

proof below, Seafire departing Arromanches! (SBD, SB2C, F6F all tested and working!) This is a GOOD thing, as most people love to play the single missions, and with operating bird farms!!! Oh Yeah!!!

seafire-arromanches.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

Menrva, I don't know what you did brother, but that water bmp works!!! Gotta be how my photoshop was not saving it correctly.

Great! I'm glad to help, Kevin!

When you feel like the terrain is ready for release, and if you wish, I can worry about fixing the tiling of the missing Mekong Delta area and make a few other of my usual adjustments.

Edited by Menrva

Great new!!! With Wrench and Menrva working together only the best is expected.

• Thanks 2

I believe that book will be of great help!! Thanks!! :)

as to the Hellcat drop tanks, I doubt very much we'll find anyone to make one without the support strut/pylon. Just stick with what we got. Can't use anything but what we have here at CA.

Hell, I've got Zur's Hellcat MAX files, 90-ish percent DONE (needs unwrapping for skinning, ini work, etc -- it's a -5 without the rear window, but could be used for a -3 by cutting the meshes for the window. Even a -5N by creating the APS-6 pod in the wing. Gear, wings are all animated, canopy might not be, but that should be a fairly easy fix.  Like all WW2 birds, nobody wants to do them anymore)

zur hellcat in MAX9.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russouk2004 said:

That water bmp looks good as an Atlantic texture  not so blue

What do you mean? We are not talking about the texture, that is a .tga file. The _water bitmap I gave to Wrench is an 8-bit map which the game engine uses to assign carrier station positions, and to distinguish land from water.

Wouldn't be cool to have mule packs? Both sides used them in the war, specially in mountain areas. One thing I do on my Vietnam install is protect unarmed convoys from enemy ambushes, just CAS missions with trucks advancing in line into an ambush, you need to be fast to destroy the enemy before your trucks are ambushed and destroyed.

heqBcv5.jpg

RUPCpiw.jpg

Wondering If Stephen1918 could adapt his cavalry to this role (would be useful for WWII mods as well).

4A5kAGg.jpg

BTW, my Green Hell looks differente from your, you're using a older version, right?

tIHMPGG.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stratos said:

BTW, my Green Hell looks differente from your, you're using a older version, right?

Yeah, Wrench is using the stock tileset and is expanding it with new tiles and TODs. I'd use Green Hell 2 and create the needed tiles for it. Let's wait for Wrench to finalize his work first. I'd really like to help with my expertise, you guys got me interested in the scenario. The Vietnam terrain needs an overhaul in general (higher resolution heightmap, more accurate target locations, and so on...).

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I'd gladly use Green Hell 2 and create the needed tiles for it. Let's wait for Wrench to finalize his work first. I'd really like to help with my expertise, you guys got me interested in the scenario. 

That would require a ton of job, I was simply confused and that's why I asked.

it would be beyond nightmarish to match the extra 100+ tiles to Stary's GH. I never liked the way "R" series, as well as most of the G and J tiles were handled. From friends and relatives that were actually there, it didn't quite match their eyewitness experience (so to speak). I've always said it virtually impossible to match the Real World with the tile system we've been given. We can get close(r),  maybe 80-85%(?), but can't match it due to the inherent scaling issues in the Engine (tm).  

I'm not planning on doing the (required) fixing all across the terrain -- it is simply too small (63%) and has far too many flaws to really be worth it. So, I'm keeping it (a bit) closer to the original HFD, but as usual, try to fix smaller fuck ups. Although, it does appear I'll have to do the mangrove swamps.... watched the newest "Grand Tour" on Amazon last night, and Clarkson, Hammond and May were running the Mekong on various boats! (well worth it if you like the old Top Gear!!)

• Like 1

@Wrench I didn't know you've made so many new tiles already. Still, in most of my releases I created many transition tiles, so I know how time consuming it is. But it's no nightmare for me; only time is really needed, as RL is a b*tch ATM. For a quicker release, your tweaks will do just as fine.

I simply offered to help improve it even more. But if you guys don't want to wait, no problem at all. I have other projects to take care of.

Edited by Menrva

11 hours ago, Wrench said:

it would be beyond nightmarish to match the extra 100+ tiles to Stary's GH. I never liked the way "R" series, as well as most of the G and J tiles were handled. From friends and relatives that were actually there, it didn't quite match their eyewitness experience (so to speak). I've always said it virtually impossible to match the Real World with the tile system we've been given. We can get close(r),  maybe 80-85%(?), but can't match it due to the inherent scaling issues in the Engine (tm).  

And I don't requested them, was simply confused by the tileset names.

Actually, last night I checked the tiles against GH 3, and that's where they're from. So, disregard my previous statement!!!

I needed all the others for CBI, as the stock, and even GH sets were lacking quite a few necessary items for India, Burma and scattered points around the compass! <gr> Menrva, if you want to have a look-see, I'll shoot you my specially built TE that has all the tiles and junk.

It also appears I'm going to have to re-do the entire length of the Mekong ... comparing it to the CBI map, and the recent World Tour show, I"d forgotten how frakking WIDE the river is!!

47 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Actually, last night I checked the tiles against GH 3, and that's where they're from.

Yes, that version of Stary's GH3 was just an improved stock tileset, with added TODs and visual bump effects. The latest Green Hell 3.5 by Stary is instead totally new, made from scratch with hand-painted tiles. I still prefer Green Hell 2 (showed by Stratos) as it is based on satellite imagery.

47 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Menrva, if you want to have a look-see, I'll shoot you my specially built TE that has all the tiles and junk.

I will send you a PM in the near future. Right now RL is limiting my time and resources. I can have a look at the .inis as well for all sorts of tweaks. For instance, in the nations.ini I'd change South Vietnam and North Vietnam with French Indochina. It's nothing important, but when obtaining medals, you'd see a more correct name for the historical period being shown.

Edited by Menrva

Wrench, there will be RED airfields in Communist China?

41 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Wrench, there will be RED airfields in Communist China?

Good question, although it's useless.

Several ex-Japanese and French airfields are in Viet Minh territory. They are populated and active. Nothing in China, as they play no (real) part

you all know how much I hate "fantasy" shit in a historical setting, but I had the make the aircraft below. The peeled paint in JAAF aircraft is a nightmare to replicate; i took an easier/cheater route.

vpaf_oscar.JPG

• Like 3

use an eraser tool with hard setting and reduce the brush density amount so it removes chunks...or areas...like so  (use a metal colour beneath to show through oc with different settings you can do alsorts like so

poop.jpg

Image1.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 4

Ok, I"m not sure how that works, Can you send me more details via PM (don't want to clog up the "in progress" thread. I'm using Photoshop 6 (or 7 if need be)

thanks, brother!

Wrench, I have some time to look at the terrain in the next days. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to improve the terrain on various aspects. I can tile the missing Mekong Delta area if you have not started already.

Edited by Menrva

I added a bunch a little "rivers" and such, now I"m getting started on filling in the stuff in the cities.

I'd like to send you the whole mods folder; let me see how much I can zip it down, simply for all the aircraft and ground objects. Or I can just send the terrain itself.

19 hours ago, Wrench said:

Or I can just send the terrain itself.

The terrain itself will suffice. I can test it anyway, without proper objects and aircraft.

• Like 1

On 14.12.2019 at 9:24 AM, Stratos said:

Wouldn't be cool to have mule packs? Both sides used them in the war, specially in mountain areas. One thing I do on my Vietnam install is protect unarmed convoys from enemy ambushes, just CAS missions with trucks advancing in line into an ambush, you need to be fast to destroy the enemy before your trucks are ambushed and destroyed.

For my old Afghanistan terrain i made a Muli with a Taliban. Its old and was made for WOE, but better then nothing.

Here a screen frm LOD viewer. In game the muli is grey.

Eseltreiber.jpg.f07d227bf0df397fe5736cfae84756bd.jpg

TalibanEseltreiber.7z

Unzip in your groundobjects folder. It will appeare in Armed_recon mission as target in columns, like the Trucks.

edit: ingame screenshot from Afghanistan terrain.

5e0cd232afae3_Talibanwithdonkey.thumb.jpg.bf459f2f7734df5f33417b8013dd206b.jpg

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 8