Sign in to follow this  

If I use or base a data.ini on one in a payware model is that piracy?...I think not as the files are owned by TK so is this piracy if I use one as a basis for something of mine....?

its just same model thats not got a data.ini in game already,I just need one similar.

Edited by russouk2004

If its for use in a StrikeFighters based game I dont think there's a lot other you can do.......if the original (TW) files are perfect to start with what are you supposed to do ?? Make yours the "less perfect" version ??

I think not.

If I had spent a lot of time developing a flight model for payware, I might be upset if someone else took that flight model and used it in other payware without my permission. But if I am experienced as creating/selling products for the SF series, I already know how open the game is and can expect the text based ini files to be borrowed/copied/edited at will by the modding community, as TK expects. What you are really selling are the 3d models, as everything else is readily copied/edited/redistributed. TK came to the same conclusion and started locking up the lods while leaving most of the game wide open to copying/editing/sharing.

• Like 2

its a six of one half dozen of the other question....I have contacted creator anyways...also there is I discovered a model thats close enough to what I want here free...oc credit will be given if I use it entirely...though its really just as a template .  cheers

inis ("text files") have been open to use.

No, it is NOT a violation of the payware. That's a ruling we (admins) came to many years ago. It's just never been questioned, so we never bothered about it.  As there was only (really) 2 payware makers for the SF series, the point is moot.

the only thing really protected are the LODs

• Like 1

own personal experience, when i did a redux of the TW DLC USAF Phantom skins, i was told in here (CA) that so long a some noticeable change was made to the jpeg, it should be fine to include them. I opted not to in the end because they were the main feature of that DLC, but the consensus as told to me was that if it had a significant difference from the original and the lod was not included it was fine. was many moons ago (2013, iirc Dave being the one sayin go for it) but i think still applies