Sign in to follow this  
yersinia

rudder yawing realism

hi, i'm enjoying the strafing run with an a-10a which is the basic aircraft of SF2.

however, i found that a-10a of SF2's rudder yawing is different from an a-10c of LOMAC's rudder yawing.

In other words, when i rotate to right with only using the rudder in LOMAC, then the aircraft starts yawing to right and the velocity vector goes right(which means the aircraft orbits right). Otherwise, in the SF2, when i rotate to right with only using the rudder, then the aircraft start yawing to right but the velocity vector doesn't go right(the aircraft just go straight).

Which one is the real physics of yawing? LOMAC or SF2??

(the flight model setting is 'hard')

lomac.png

img00004.JPG

apples and oranges

10 hours ago, Wrench said:

apples and oranges

i made the sf2's a-10c similarly to the lomac's one by revising cd, cy and cl data.

very interesting

I can see why you want it...Real hog pilots used rudders to straffe columns of vehicles in gulf war...when they were sat in a line reasonably straight

8 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

I can see why you want it...Real hog pilots used rudders to straffe columns of vehicles in gulf war...when they were sat in a line reasonably straight

oh you exactly pointed out my intention. so now i'm changing the cl, cd, cy and cn datas to make similar to dcs a-10c' rudder physics

On 2019-11-15 at 6:03 AM, yersinia said:

Which one is the real physics of yawing? LOMAC or SF2??

Can't comment specifically on the A-10 but the physics largely depend on the aircraft type. Lighter aircraft with a large wing area (think WW1) will usually turn in the direction of the rudder movement and also go slightly nose up, particularly with all-flying rudders that lack a vertical stabilizer. Heavier aircraft made of metal instead of wood might display more yaw but less movement, initially, in the direction of the rudder turn. Plus there are further variations - which depend on rudder sensitivity and max left/right movement of the rudder (for example, rudders on Tomahawks and Kittyhawks being more sensitive than on something like the Jug). By sensitive I mean more rudder-induced directional change, initially, than only yawing left/right. Rudder sensitivity, directional or yaw-related, is probably the most irritating thing to tweak in the data inis, but the results are worth it.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Viper63a

View File ODS Warbirds: A-10A Thunderbolt II (TW Version)
      SF2 A-10A (TW Stock Version) with Authentic ODS Livery and Serials
      By Viper63a
      This pack contains all A-10As serving in Operation Desert Storm with authentic serial numbers. Nose art and other details are my best effort, so it may be off - but it's damn close.
      When we started the ODS 30 project, we wanted to use the stock A-10A Thunderbolts. As I finished the stock A-10A, we decided to switch to Spectre's A-10As...So, the stock A-10A mod was scrapped. Alot of work into this stock version, so I decided to release it as is...
      ~~DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD INTO ODS 3.0. THAT PACKAGE COMES WITH A VERSION OF A-10A DESIGNED AND CONFIGURED FOR  THE ODS PACKAGE!
      Source: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-10.html
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      1) Copy the contents of the "To_Mod_Folder" folder into your mod folder and over-write if required.
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add A-10 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      3) Check, ensure (or update) all the squadrons in this pack is in your "SQUADRONLIST.INI" file. Once you look at that file, you will know what to do. 
      * Please note that some squadrons have multiple CO planes, this is not a mistake. Rather than just picking one CO, I am representing all the COs for that squadron during the period. I may be off on this, so let me know if I have to correct something. 
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      Edit: Fixed some typos in the details and this pop back up to the top...Sorry about that...nothing new...just a typo fix..LOL...
      Submitter Viper63a Submitted 06/28/2021 Category A-10  
    • By Viper63a
      SF2 A-10A (TW Stock Version) with Authentic ODS Livery and Serials
      By Viper63a
      This pack contains all A-10As serving in Operation Desert Storm with authentic serial numbers. Nose art and other details are my best effort, so it may be off - but it's damn close.
      When we started the ODS 30 project, we wanted to use the stock A-10A Thunderbolts. As I finished the stock A-10A, we decided to switch to Spectre's A-10As...So, the stock A-10A mod was scrapped. Alot of work into this stock version, so I decided to release it as is...
      ~~DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD INTO ODS 3.0. THAT PACKAGE COMES WITH A VERSION OF A-10A DESIGNED AND CONFIGURED FOR  THE ODS PACKAGE!
      Source: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/a-10.html
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      1) Copy the contents of the "To_Mod_Folder" folder into your mod folder and over-write if required.
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add A-10 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      3) Check, ensure (or update) all the squadrons in this pack is in your "SQUADRONLIST.INI" file. Once you look at that file, you will know what to do. 
      * Please note that some squadrons have multiple CO planes, this is not a mistake. Rather than just picking one CO, I am representing all the COs for that squadron during the period. I may be off on this, so let me know if I have to correct something. 
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      Edit: Fixed some typos in the details and this pop back up to the top...Sorry about that...nothing new...just a typo fix..LOL...
    • By WINGEDHUSSAR

View File 175thWing_MDANG
      skin for Dave's A-10A.

175th Wing, 104th Fighter Squadron Maryland Air National Guard A-10A circa 2003-2006
      Submitter CRentzell95 Submitted 09/20/2016 Category A-10 Warthog Skins  
    • By HomeFries

View File Broken Wing (Single Player)
      "Broken Wing"

Singleplayer Mission for DCS World A-10C + FC3 (optional) by Bahger. Uploaded with permission.

Two hours ago, a "black" SpecOps UH-60 ("BROKEN WING") crashed near the Russian border. A USMC combat engineer team, "ROADKILL", is en route to recover the helo but intel sources now indicate that the Russians are preparing to mount a raid across the border to steal the bird's classified avionics. ROADKILL has been re-tasked to push to the crash site at maximum speed and to use explosives to destroy the Blackhawk before the Russians get to it. Your task is to protect ROADKILL and to respond to the Russian incursion with decisive force.

Briefing:

i. SITUATION:

Enemy forces:

Likely enemy disposition:

Ground:

A task force consisting of a platoon-sized armored recon element and a reinforced platoon-sized assault force.

Both enemy armor formations will deploy with attached mobile Shilka (SA-9) air defense units.

Air (CAP):

2x MiG-23MLD "Floggers".

Friendly forces:

ROADKILL is a combat engineer team consisting of 4x LAV-25s and 2x HMMWVs with attached support from 2x Stryker ATGMs.

CAP:

2x F-15Cs"UZI" are about to push from Senaki-Kolkhi to fly CAP.

CAS/Strike:

2x A-10Cs ("SPRINGFIELD") are about to push from Sukhumi-Babushara to provide CAS to ROADKILL, to help secure the crash site and to interdict all enemy units meaneuvering south of the border.

2x A-10Cs (DODGE) are holding south of the AO and can be deployed as a striker flight.

AWACS:

OVERLORD is on station and transmitting on 255 VHF FM.

SEAD:

No dedicated SEAD/DEAD is available at this time. A-10C flights must perform SEAD/DEAD against local air defenses attached to enemy armor.

ii. MANEUVER

- Enemy:

Recon:

We believe that the Russian Recon formation will push south-east through the town of LESELIDZE in order to form a bridgehead at the east end of the town to screen/block ROADKILL's only access point to the crash site from the south.

Assault:

The enemy Assault group will either reinforce the recon units in LESELIDZE or will divert to the east after crossing REDBRIDGE, approaching the crash site from high ground to the north-east, working with the recon group in Leselidze to attempt a "pincer" maneuver against the objective.

Air:

The AO will *not* be a permissive environment for Blue CAS as long as a threat exists from the MiG-23 CAP and from SA-9 units embedded with Red ground forces.

- Friendly:

CAP:

Blue F-15s will deploy to intercept Red CAP south of the border and to secure the AO for safe operation of CAS in zone. UZI will fly CAP in zone until the crash site has been secured and the UH-60 destroyed.

CAS:

Both CAS flights have flightplan holds and should hold or push at the discretion of flight leads according to their assessment of remaining threats from the Red CAP.

OVERLORD will provide SITREPs to update CAS flights re. UZI's arrival in the AO and elimination of the enemy CAP threat ("GRAND SLAM")

Operational references:

The following Mission Steerpoints are available to all CAS flights:

BLUEBRIDGE: This bridge is ROADKILL's only possible approach point to the crash site from the south/east and is therefore a chokepoint.

REDBRIDGE: This bridge is the likely border crossing point for enemy ground forces and is therefore a chokepoint.

LESELIDZE COASTAL ROAD: This steerpoint marks the coastal road likely to be taken by enemy ground forces approaching BLUEBRIDGE.

BROKEN WING: This steerpoint marks the exact location of the crashed helo.

Comms:

All elements will use 255 VHF FM for tactical comms.

ROE:

All Russian military vehicles and personnel south of the border will be violating Georgian territorial sovreignty. Allied units are authorised to attack any such unit, pre-emptively if necessary.

iii. Victory Conditions:

All victory conditions will be calculated when ROADKILL has remounted and extracted from BROKEN WING across BLUEBRIDGE, so CAS flights should take care to cover this movement to prevent any further attacks on the group by remaining enemy units.

Players will be notified of their level of success in this mission when ROADKILL's extraction is complete, as follows:

Blue TOTAL VICTORY

Blue will win a Total Victory when:

- The downed helo is destroyed and ROADKILL has sustained no casualties.

Blue VICTORY:

Blue will win a Victory when:

- The downed helo is destroyed and ROADKILL has sustained less than 25% casualties.

Blue DEFEAT:

Blue will lose the mission when:

- The downed helo is destroyed and ROADKILL has sustained more than 50% casualties.

OR

- ROADKILL has been wiped out.

IV. Mission Editor's notes:

This mission is flyable in one of three roles, assuming the player has DCS World with both FC3 and A-10C modules installed. Two of these roles will spawn as AI flights with identical tasking if the player does not choose to fly them
      himself:

F-15C CAP and A-10C CAS.

The following secondary flight is also available to the player:

A-10C Strike ("Dodge")

This flight is equipped for an LGB stand-off strike to destroy REDBRIDGE if the situation allows. If this flight is chosen, the primary AI CAS and CAP flights will still spawn. There is no AI substitution for this flight if it is not chosen by the player.

If the player wishes to see the mission play out with both CAS and CAP roles taken by AI, or to "pinch hit" in an undefined role, he should choose to fly as the A-10C squadron c/o ("Ford"), a two-ship on alert at Kobuleti.

Big thanks to:

Bruce P for custom radio comms (ROADKILL).

Don H (Home Fries) for custom radio comms (OVERLORD), playtesting, refinement of triggers and wise counsel re. programming logic.
      Submitter HomeFries Submitted 02/16/2013 Category DCS Singleplayer Missions  
    • By HomeFries

View File Broken Wing (Multiplayer)
      "Broken Wing"

Multiplayer Mission for DCS World A-10C + FC3 (optional) by Bahger. Uploaded with permission.

Two hours ago, a "black" SpecOps UH-60 ("BROKEN WING") crashed near the Russian border. A USMC combat engineer team, "ROADKILL", is en route to recover the helo but intel sources now indicate that the Russians are preparing to mount a raid across the border to steal the bird's classified avionics. ROADKILL has been re-tasked to push to the crash site at maximum speed and to use explosives to destroy the Blackhawk before the Russians get to it. Your task is to protect ROADKILL and to respond to the Russian incursion with decisive force.

Briefing:

i. SITUATION:

Enemy forces:

Likely enemy disposition:

Ground:

A task force consisting of a platoon-sized armored recon element and a reinforced platoon-sized assault force.

Both enemy armor formations will deploy with attached mobile Shilka (SA-9) air defense units.

Air (CAP):

2x MiG-23MLD "Floggers".

Friendly forces:

ROADKILL is a combat engineer team consisting of 4x LAV-25s and 2x HMMWVs with attached support from 2x Stryker ATGMs.

CAP:

2x F-15Cs"UZI" are about to push from Senaki-Kolkhi to fly CAP.

CAS/Strike:

2x A-10Cs ("SPRINGFIELD") are about to push from Sukhumi-Babushara to provide CAS to ROADKILL, to help secure the crash site and to interdict all enemy units meaneuvering south of the border.

2x A-10Cs (DODGE) are holding south of the AO and can be deployed as a striker flight.

AWACS:

OVERLORD is on station and transmitting on 255 VHF FM.

SEAD:

No dedicated SEAD/DEAD is available at this time. A-10C flights must perform SEAD/DEAD against local air defenses attached to enemy armor.

ii. MANEUVER

- Enemy:

Recon:

We believe that the Russian Recon formation will push south-east through the town of LESELIDZE in order to form a bridgehead at the east end of the town to screen/block ROADKILL's only access point to the crash site from the south.

Assault:

The enemy Assault group will either reinforce the recon units in LESELIDZE or will divert to the east after crossing REDBRIDGE, approaching the crash site from high ground to the north-east, working with the recon group in Leselidze to attempt a "pincer" maneuver against the objective.

Air:

The AO will *not* be a permissive environment for Blue CAS as long as a threat exists from the MiG-23 CAP and from SA-9 units embedded with Red ground forces.

- Friendly:

CAP:

Blue F-15s will deploy to intercept Red CAP south of the border and to secure the AO for safe operation of CAS in zone. UZI will fly CAP in zone until the crash site has been secured and the UH-60 destroyed.

CAS:

Both CAS flights have flightplan holds and should hold or push at the discretion of flight leads according to their assessment of remaining threats from the Red CAP.

OVERLORD will provide SITREPs to update CAS flights re. UZI's arrival in the AO and elimination of the enemy CAP threat ("GRAND SLAM")

Operational references:

The following Mission Steerpoints are available to all CAS flights:

BLUEBRIDGE: This bridge is ROADKILL's only possible approach point to the crash site from the south/east and is therefore a chokepoint.

REDBRIDGE: This bridge is the likely border crossing point for enemy ground forces and is therefore a chokepoint.

LESELIDZE COASTAL ROAD: This steerpoint marks the coastal road likely to be taken by enemy ground forces approaching BLUEBRIDGE.

BROKEN WING: This steerpoint marks the exact location of the crashed helo.

Comms:

All elements will use 255 VHF FM for tactical comms.

ROE:

All Russian military vehicles and personnel south of the border will be violating Georgian territorial sovreignty. Allied units are authorised to attack any such unit, pre-emptively if necessary.

iii. Victory Conditions:

All victory conditions will be calculated when ROADKILL has remounted and extracted from BROKEN WING across BLUEBRIDGE, so CAS flights should take care to cover this movement to prevent any further attacks on the group by remaining enemy units.

Players will be notified of their level of success in this mission when ROADKILL's extraction is complete, as follows:

Blue TOTAL VICTORY

Blue will win a Total Victory when:

- The downed helo is destroyed and ROADKILL has sustained no casualties.

Blue VICTORY:

Blue will win a Victory when:

- The downed helo is destroyed and ROADKILL has sustained less than 25% casualties.

Blue DEFEAT:

Blue will lose the mission when:

- The downed helo is destroyed and ROADKILL has sustained more than 50% casualties.

OR

- ROADKILL has been wiped out.

IV. Mission Editor's notes:

This mission is flyable in one of three roles, assuming the player has DCS World with both FC3 and A-10C modules installed. Two of these roles will spawn as AI flights with identical tasking if the player does not choose to fly them
      himself:

F-15C CAP and A-10C CAS.

The following secondary flight is also available to the player:

A-10C Strike ("Dodge")

This flight is equipped for an LGB stand-off strike to destroy REDBRIDGE if the situation allows. If this flight is chosen, the primary AI CAS and CAP flights will still spawn. There is no AI substitution for this flight if it is not chosen by the player.

If the player wishes to see the mission play out with both CAS and CAP roles taken by AI, or to "pinch hit" in an undefined role, he should choose to fly as the A-10C squadron c/o ("Ford"), a two-ship on alert at Kobuleti.

Big thanks to:

Bruce P for custom radio comms (ROADKILL).

Don H (Home Fries) for custom radio comms (OVERLORD), playtesting, refinement of triggers and wise counsel re. programming logic.
      Submitter HomeFries Submitted 02/16/2013 Category DCS Multiplayer Missions  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..