Sign in to follow this  
ShrikeHawk

Modifying AAA Density and other Questions

I am trying to increase the density of AAA positions in a terrain. To do this, I changed a few entries in the _targets.ini file to "AAA". This should plugin randomly selected Mobile_AAA and Static_AAA objects, right? But I am not seeing an increase of targets. What am I missing? I have changed other entries (e.g., "Target[010].Type=Pit1" to "Target[010].Type=Gepard") and these appear and function, but cannot be targeted (red box). Why is that?

How does TargetType=MISC play into the missions? For instance TRANSPORT can be found in Armed Recon or TANK can be found in CAS missions. What about MISC?

During Flak suppression missions ground objects are often appearing on the map one at a time. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

I hope you're NOT changing actual airfield objects for AAA units (Pit1 ---> AAA). Those are where planes park. Don't mess with those. Ever.

Each AAA position has to be plotted individually, and THEN added to the targets ini. Also, if you're calling out specific items (Gepard, SA-9, etc), their radars will NOT show on your RWR (a major game glitch). Any units for specific call outs MUST also be listed in the _types.ini

MISC should only be used for things that are not of a specific type (warehouse, fuel storage, etc ) I've hardly ever used it, or changed that item to something more viable and logical.

Why targets aren't appearing, no idea. Do remember, there is a 50km "bubble or reality" around the player aircraft. Things outside it, de-spawn, and items will only spawn inside that bubble.

41 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Each AAA position has to be plotted individually, and THEN added to the targets ini.

So, to be clear, I have to add AAA sites via a terrain editor and then add them to _targets.ini? It can't be done with just .ini edits?

If so, does adding objects require a ph.d in quadratic equations, and can you recommend the easiest to use terrain editor?

HI.

Like he said, add target areas, don't change things.  This will add 6 X AAA with some associated stuff to go boom if you hit it.  Its kind of in a ring around the tents and trucks and towers.

In your "whatevermap" _target.ini  add this to the bottom.  Paste it in, make the changes and save it.

[TargetArea018]  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Change to the last number in your sequence.
Name=Stephenville North AAA <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Call this whatever you want to call it
Position=642000.00,494813.00 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<you will have to assign this a position from your map.
Alignment=ENEMY    <<<<<   Your choice
Location=2  <<<<<   Depends on if they are friend or enemy
ActiveDate=01/01/1950   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   makes things show up on certain dates
Radius=800
Target[001].Type=AAA
Target[001].Offset=-628.00,910.00
Target[001].Heading=340
Target[002].Type=AAA
Target[002].Offset=-582.00,866.00
Target[002].Heading=100
Target[003].Type=AAA
Target[003].Offset=-591.00,903.00
Target[003].Heading=45
Target[004].Type=AAA
Target[004].Offset=-631.00,841.00
Target[004].Heading=215
Target[005].Type=AAA
Target[005].Offset=-651.00,884.00
Target[005].Heading=-80
Target[006].Type=AAA
Target[006].Offset=-606.00,833.00
Target[006].Heading=170
Target[007].Type=OILDRUM9
Target[007].Offset=-615.00,882.00
Target[007].Heading=0
Target[008].Type=BARRACK1
Target[008].Offset=-793.00,871.00
Target[008].Heading=0
Target[009].Type=BARRACK2
Target[009].Offset=-754.00,870.00
Target[009].Heading=0
Target[010].Type=GUARDTOWER1
Target[010].Offset=-675.00,1129.00
Target[010].Heading=0
Target[011].Type=GUARDTOWER1
Target[011].Offset=-746.00,595.00
Target[011].Heading=0
Target[012].Type=GUARDTOWER1
Target[012].Offset=-390.00,694.00
Target[012].Heading=0
Target[013].Type=SOVIETTRUCK
Target[013].Offset=-624.00,874.00
Target[013].Heading=50
Target[014].Type=SOVIETTRUCK
Target[014].Offset=-605.00,889.00
Target[014].Heading=0
Target[015].Type=TENT1
Target[015].Offset=-675.00,982.00
Target[015].Heading=0
Target[016].Type=TENT1
Target[016].Offset=-690.00,977.00
Target[016].Heading=0

Don't forget to set the Air defences to HIGH.

NEVER touch or attempt to use the terrain editor. That requires a PhD, or whatever is higher (godhood?).

You just edit the _targets.ini and _types ini (if needed). There's no need to create whole new target areas just for AAA and SAM units (unless the Real Life (tm)  has them as such. Like I've done over the last 12 or more years -- you build the (city/airbase/ect) defence batteries INTO that target area. Using seperate, and usually overlapping target areas fucks shit up in ways you can't even imagine.

But...If you don't know or understand the target coordinates system of the game engine ....I wouldn't reccomend messing with this.

OTH, For amateurs, I'd recommend Mue's Target Area Editor, found in the download of Mue's ToolBox (search in the Utilities section, iirc) It's pretty easy to use, and accurate beyond belief.

BTW, what terrain are you trying to upgrade? Can't be one of mine, I've had complaints of TOO many AD units (yes, there IS an upper limit)

16 hours ago, Wrench said:

BTW, what terrain are you trying to upgrade?

Not an upgrade, per se, just a change. I'm working with Menrva's Madagascar terrain. I've imagined a war where only low-cost Light Attack are operating, a COIN War. In such a scenario you wouldn't operate planes like AT-6B and Super Tucano in a hotly contested airspace. So, I have removed all SAMs. But...that means air defense suppression missions are not very threatening (read: not challenging). So, I have added boatloads of AAA ground objects and I want a lot of them around the targets. Flying low directly over an airfield should be terrifying. Thus, I need more AAA positions.   

why not just simply replace the SAMLauncher callouts with AAA? Why create more work?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wrench said:

why not just simply replace the SAMLauncher callouts with AAA? Why create more work?

There aren't any for FRIENDLY targets. I have been replacing things like Tent1 and USTruck callouts with AAA. Seems, in Singlemission, I have to set enemy AAA to High to see the difference.

The limit are 16 air defence units per target area. This is the maximum. If you set more Flak or SAM the game engine will only use 16 of them.

Edited by Gepard

@ShrikeHawk If you wish to release modified files for my terrain packages, please check with me via PM first. I spend a lot of time and effort to make those terrains, and I don't want people to release edited or messed up files, for which I don't provide support, without my prior consent. The Madagascar terrain is meant not to have that much Friendly AAA or SAMs, because the only Blue airfields you get are civilian airports IRL. To sum it up, if things are done in a certain way in my terrain packages, most likely there is a good reason.

2 hours ago, Menrva said:

If you wish to release modified files for my terrain packages, please check with me via PM first

@Menrva Absolutely! I wouldn't release it, edited, without your agreement first. All I'm doing is modestly changing the target list and types list. Visually, the terrain is stunning. I wouldn't change a thing about that.

Edited by ShrikeHawk
Spelling

3 hours ago, Gepard said:

If you set more Flak or SAM the game engine will only use 16 of them.

Good lord! I'm nowhere near that, but still good to know. Thanks!