Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

WIP - Halberstadt CL.II

Ojcar recommended this late-war German fighter/ground attack plane. It has a 160hp water cooled 6 cylinder engine capable of speeds up to 165 kph. It carries a synchronized Spandau in the fuselage and has a Parabellum on a ring mount for the observer. There is a rack of 10 stick grenades on the port side - the grenades will drop one by one.

This is about half done, I'm hoping to be finished by Christmas. The real world is keeping me busy, but I'm hoping...

HalbCLII_02.jpg

HalbCLII_03.jpg

HalbCLII_04.jpg

HalbCLII_05.jpg

HalbCLII_06.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I haven’t contributed in a while but I always check in to see what’s going on. This is a good one Stephen. I always liked the CL.ll. Lots of great skins for it. I still fly when I get a chance. I’m definitely getting this one when it’s finished cooking. Thanks Stephen1918

Cant wait for the Sopwith Triplane you are going to work on next! 😉

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sky High said:

... The detail in the grenade-rack is exquisite.

Thanks for noticing. The grenades are stock weapons in FE. I spent a couple hours tweaking the weapons stations and the model to get them to line up so nicely.

15 hours ago, quack74 said:

... Cant wait for the Sopwith Triplane you are going to work on next! 😉

I actually started a Tripe at one point, but then Geezer showed screen caps of one he was working on, so I backed off.

• Like 2

Very nice work Stephen. Great to see yet another new addition. Thank you for your tremendous contribution, here and in the past. Much appreciated.

And thanks to Ojcar for his suggestions too.

Have a happy Christmas.

Edited by Grinseed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Stephen1918 said:

I actually started a Tripe at one point, but then Geezer showed screen caps of one he was working on, so I backed off.

5df0dc44d86c2_shot-16.thumb.jpg.fffbe9603f3168ffcaa832c831d070c1.jpg.477dbb5184ff4f7c66fa641010b6151b.jpg

Are you talking about this Geezer's model, of course? Yes, it could be a unique model with excellent detail. But vague doubts torment me that we will someday see the implementation of this (and many other) of his projects ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crawford said:

Are you talking about this Geezer's model, of course?  ...

That's it. Geezer posted several screen shots starting a little more than a year ago. His is actually farther along than mine is.

It would be a pity to find ourselves caught between two stools, an outcome that I think would not be desired by any concerned party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sky High said:

It would be a pity to find ourselves caught between two stools, an outcome that I think would not be desired by any concerned party.

Indeed, I recommend a cautious and slow approach - for example, if in another several months' time there is no word from Geezer's WWI Workshop of Aircraft, then I think that Stephen should feel more than comfortable to continue his Sopwith Tripe project. Speaking of Geezer's works-in-progress, I am willing to upload the Junkers J.I model to the "new aircraft" thread eventually (the model seems fine, and the FM is complete for it) - but skins will have to be done at the user-end. I'm certainly no skin expert. :biggrin: Perhaps Eugene or Crawford are already working on some skins for the Junkers - I will let them decide when it is feasible to "make public" the Junkers since it isn't one of the pressing/important aircraft for FE2, to paraphrase Crawford. I will in the meantime keep tweaking away at my ver. 9.9 FM update pack; I hope to release it before the end of the year.

EDIT: Thank you for this lovely Halb. CL.II Stephen, it will be a great complement to Geezer's CL.IV. The CL.II, while slower and less maneuverable than the CL.IV, was much more pleasant to fly according to pilots.

Happy flying gents',

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, VonS said:

Indeed, I recommend a cautious and slow approach - for example, if in another several months' time there is no word from Geezer's WWI Workshop of Aircraft, then I think that Stephen should feel more than comfortable to continue his Sopwith Tripe project. Speaking of Geezer's works-in-progress, I am willing to upload the Junkers J.I model to the "new aircraft" thread eventually (the model seems fine, and the FM is complete for it) - but skins will have to be done at the user-end. I'm certainly no skin expert. :biggrin: Perhaps Eugene or Crawford are already working on some skins for the Junkers - I will let them decide when it is feasible to "make public" the Junkers since it isn't one of the pressing/important aircraft for FE2, to paraphrase Crawford. I will in the meantime keep tweaking away at my ver. 9.9 FM update pack; I hope to release it before the end of the year.

EDIT: Thank you for this lovely Halb. CL.II Stephen, it will be a great complement to Geezer's CL.IV. The CL.II, while slower and less maneuverable than the CL.IV, was much more pleasant to fly according to pilots.

Happy flying gents',

last time Geezer left the community over a dispute it was over a year before he returned. not picking sides or placing blame just saying that he tends to leave for long periods of time when there is any sort of discord. I hope he returns as his work was top notch and from my personal experience I never had anything but good,limited but good, relations with him.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Grinseed said:

... And thanks to Ojcar for his suggestions too. ...

I should point out that in addition to his suggestions, Ojcar has done a lot of work for all my planes. He's made all the FMs for my planes, he's also corrected problems and made improvements for most of the things I've done for First Eagles. It seems like he only gets one line in the Read Me file each time, he deserves a lot more credit.

Concerning the Sopwith Triplane - I need to finish the Halberstadt first, then I'll look at the Tripe again. 

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 4

Stephen, your models are second to anyone. Hands on Tripe please!

• Like 2

About the Tripe. Could it be the early and late tailplane?

Stephen 1918, don't forget to put templates in Your Halberstadt CL.II file.

• Like 2

Sorry for offtop, but if someone can't wait for Triplane at all, he can still be satisfied with an old and simple model by A-Team. ;)

img00004.jpg.d0981e2a7124a2b3d76e6833d9269521.jpg

• Like 1

On 11.12.2019 at 10:39 PM, VonS said:

Speaking of Geezer's works-in-progress, I am willing to upload the Junkers J.I model to the "new aircraft" thread eventually (the model seems fine, and the FM is complete for it) - but skins will have to be done at the user-end. I'm certainly no skin expert. :biggrin: Perhaps Eugene or Crawford are already working on some skins for the Junkers - I will let them decide when it is feasible to "make public" the Junkers since it isn't one of the pressing/important aircraft for FE2, to paraphrase Crawford.

As for me, so far I have nothing to brag about. I just “covered” the tail of the plane with lozenge canvas and coarse painted the upper wings with purple spots. And I just started to imitate a corrugated surface. All this is very far from perfect. But here is the smallest improvement - the Decal file (drop it into your JunkersJ1/German Camo1 folder) - this will allow the plane to fly with identification marks. I also enclose a slightly modified JunkersJ1_DATA.ini file, which at least allows the gunner to conduct defensive fire. The pilot seat position adapted for the stock TW-made pilot. The model still has a problem with its position on the ground, but now it doesn't bury its tail.

JunkersJ1_files.rar

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for these tweaks Crawford - I will revisit the data ini eventually on the Junkers J.I since it's been a while since I flight tested the model. The FM is largely complete but the ground contact points were somewhat strange - glad you were able to fix the tail skid problem. Take your time with the skins - I won't post the Junkers model under the new aircraft thread until we can call it a 99% complete model. As far as I know Geezer never made any skins for it. I'm still dreaming of a complete Bleriot XI for FE/FE2. :biggrin:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VonS said:

I'm still dreaming of a complete Bleriot XI for FE/FE2. :biggrin:

I also believe! I'm generally a naive person... :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VonS said:

As far as I know Geezer never made any skins for it.

No, he made something, of course. But he never published his work on the Junkers J.1, so everything 'gone with the wind', like Geezer himself. :cry: