RIBob

EAW Forum Disappearance

I believe I know why this has happened.  I regret the discord --which has occurred on other sites-- that has caused this.

There are two groups, the EAWPRO group (Vonbeerhoven), and the "Code-group" Mr Jelly, R Otten, that are at odds.  This contention has been going on for a long time.

These two groups have competing versions of the EAW sim.

Some folks are neutral, such as MarkEAW, who tries to modify his longstanding EAW Help Site to help everyone.

Perhaps some sub-forums with "Read-Only" content might be appropriate.  Perhaps some other alternatives will be deemed useful.

My point in typing this message is that some sort of modus vivendi should be found that does not require an inordinate amount of Moderator/Admin attention.  FWIW, I am familiar with such.

I doubt that the two opposing groups will ever "settle down".   So, some constructive method needs to be made to resurrect the Forum, and both groups kept in check. 

I propose a 

1) Read-Only EAWPRO sub-forum

2) Read-only "Code Group" sub forum

3) A General EAW forum which has a Mod who is enabled to move topics to one or the other sub forums at will, and who is authorized to suspend/boot the posting capabilities of all posters in a fair manner, with reasonable provision for appeal.

Such a Moderator will necessarily have to spend a good deal of time in the General  EAW forum, at least until such a point where the folks posting therein understand that NO shenanigans will be tolerated.   This will be a learning process for all involved; especially the posters.  Given the nature of some of these posters, this Moderating task will be an everyday task, until the posters are whipped into shape.  I say this from experience.  No offense to current Mods.

Submitted for consideration. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

• Like 1

I disagree with RIBob's analysis. If the track record at SimHQ and Combat-Ace is studied you will find the real cause of the problem.
In almost all of the cases a provocative statement was made in a post which attacked the work of code-group members.
In some cases these statements were outright lies such as the ones which claimed that running EAW1.28 could crash their hard drives.

This behaviour put us in a "no win" situation. Do nothing, and let readers believe what they were being told, or defend ourselves by telling the truth, thereby creating conflict.
None of the Code Group members have ever been banned, other than one who was banned because of a moderator's mistake. That error was rectified and the ban was given to the person who was meant to receive it in the first place.

More recently we had decided to report the posts instead of responding. However, it would seem that these reports just accelerated the closure of the forum. The problem has always been treated as 50-50 (as per RIBob's analysis), but if you check the track record it is 100-0. 

Edited by Jel

On 12/11/2019 at 1:19 AM, RIBob said:

There are two groups, the EAWPRO group (Vonbeerhoven), and the "Code-group" Mr Jelly, R Otten, that are at odds.  This contention has been going on for a long time.

These two groups have competing versions of the EAW sim.

There are no competing versions.
VBH has attempted to improve the EAW 1.2 exe for the benefit of people with legacy PCs my modifying the eaw.exe file.
The code-group has worked with the EAW source code and because of this we have been able to add a large number of new features and routines.
These days not many people fly EAW on legacy PCs, and with bigger HDDs they are able to install any number of different versions of EAW, and choose the one they want to use at any given time. It is like a box of chocolates :smile:
I have 1.2, 1.26e, 1.28, 1.28c, 1.28e, 1.28f, 1.29, UAW150, UAW160, the FXExe and EAWPro on my PCs,  as do many other people. It is not a choice of either/or, so there is no competition between versions.

Edited by Jel

1 hour ago, Jel said:

There are no competing versions.
VBH has attempted to improve the EAW 1.2 exe for the benefit of people with legacy PCs my modifying the eaw.exe file.
The code-group has worked with the EAW source code and because of this we have been able to add a large number of new features and routines.
These days not many people fly EAW on legacy PCs, and with bigger HDDs they are able to install any number of different versions of EAW, and choose the one they want to use at any given time. It is like a box of chocolates :smile:
I have 1.2, 1.26e, 1.28, 1.28c, 1.28e, 1.28f, 1.29, UAW150, UAW160, the FXExe and EAWPro on my PCs,  as do many other people. It is not a choice of either/or, so there is no competition between versions.

With all due respect, whether or not there are competing versions of the game is beside the point.  The issue at hand is the contention between the parties who offer the different versions of the game.

RIBob

This is exactly why C7H5N3O6 was invented, because somebody somewhere had to listen to a similar version of fighting hairdressers. From CA's prospective it's annoying but I luckily get the last word and final decision, perks of the job.

-CLOSED AS NON-SUPPORT RELATED-

• Like 1