SayethWhaaaa

Persident Erdogan threatening to 'shut down' Incirlik airbase.

2 things. 1st Al Jeezera news lol and second do you honestly think that we would allow the turks to confiscate nour nuclear weapons. At the very least Turkey's economy would be destroyed and they most likely would be expelled from every treaty organization the the US is in with them. Turkey will push a little and posture for domestic consumption but it the end there is nothing they can do that wouldn't have catastrophic consequences for their current leaders and their nation as a whole. If they close the base there are nations that would line up for a US base so no loss other than some money and to spite Turkey I'd just put the replacement base in Greece and see how they like seeing the Greeks getting all the perks of a US base and closer relations at their expense. 

Edited by whiteknight06604
  • Like 1

Yep yep ... bunch of blustering from the Turks. They tried to play both ends against the middle and they lost now they want to take their toys and go home. Childish. Even worse is our administration allowing this to happen and not having any more forethought than, "what can I do for me today?" I'm disgusted by politicians everywhere. The only people who suffer are the citizens.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, whiteknight06604 said:

2 things. 1st Al Jeezera news lol and second do you honestly think that we would allow the turks to confiscate nour nuclear weapons. At the very least Turkey's economy would be destroyed and they most likely would be expelled from every treaty organization the the US is in with them. Turkey will push a little and posture for domestic consumption but it the end there is nothing they can do that wouldn't have catastrophic consequences for their current leaders and their nation as a whole. If they close the base there are nations that would line up for a US base so no loss other than some money and to spite Turkey I'd just put the replacement base in Greece and see how they like seeing the Greeks getting all the perks of a US base and closer relations at their expense. 

Two additional things, A: I've seen the articles from Fox and Sinclair media you've shared from time to time. You don't have leg to stand on, Stumpy. :wink: (plus it was still, like, 3am EST when it was posted, so the US networks weren't awake yet)

No.3: Not suggesting they're going to try to confiscate them. But even bringing it up is a real FU from Erdogan to the US. He's really leaning into this whole 'frenemy' thing, and by not responding to these continued aggravations, it's making the US look impotent by being either unwilling or unable to respond, even if the response from the administration was a token rebuff, at least it's something. I know the political turmoil in Washington is a huge distraction for the administration (123 tweets on Friday, a new personal record!), but this kind of thing demands a response. Even a middle-finger emoji in a tweet would be something.

And F: I'm actually a little surprised the US/DoD hasn't even floated the possibility of moving their resources to Greece, even if they're not serious about it, just as a response to Erdogan's latest bout needling aimed at the US. I mean, I get juggling allies with serious animosity between each other like Greece and Turkey is a highwire balancing act over a pool of ill-tempered sea-bass with lasers, but when you've Erdogan stomping on the wire, trying to make you fall, continued inaction is going to disproportionately hurt the US.

• Like 2

the US responded to Turkey,well more like dismissed them, last time they tried this. these threats are just posturing for locals. no one gives it serious thought here.It's no loss to us at all if we pack up and move somewhere else.there are countries in the region lining up to get our dollars.Turkey knows they can't win in this situation and we just don't care much. If Turkey feels the need to beat there chest to the point of harming themselves so be it. A minor inconvenience for us but it would be a huge loss to Turkey. I guess they could go over to "the other side" but that's not a long term win if they become dependent on Putin or radical Muslims.europe might have their heads up their butts at this moment in time but Turkey needs to be aligned with the modern west if they want to stay even a half rate country.

Problem is with all that money and western support only a dozen or so people benefit while the rest of Turkey lives in horrible conditions both physically and brought on by the state's need to glass dome its borders. [Thunberg ON] It's sickening when you understand how many countries are forced to live in conditions similar to Turkey. We all yearn to be free, no nation thinks differently. [Thunberg OFF]

said it before, will say it again

next dozen C-17 flights into Incirlik need extra security on them. supplies in, a 5-6 nukes out. straight back to CONUS.

once thats out of the way, let him close it. not the first time we got kicked out of a NATO country