JosefK

Aviationist: These Images Show A Texas ANG’s F-16C Wearing A Slightly Modified “Have Glass V” Paint Scheme

F-16-darker-color-scheme.jpg?resize=678%2C381&ssl=1

From the article:

The U.S. Air Force has just released an interesting series of shots of an F-16 from the 149th Fighter Wing, Texas Air National Guard out of the Iowa Air National Guard Paint Facility in Sioux City with what is said to be “a new, darker single color paint scheme […] that eliminates the older two-tone grey as the standard paint scheme for F-16’s in the U.S. Air Force.”

Indeed, the aircraft seems to show the Have Glass V, or “Have Glass 5th generation” paint, i.e. the evolution of the standard Have Glass program that saw all the F-16s receiving a two-tone grey color scheme made with a special radar-absorbing paint capable to reduce the aircraft Radar Cross Section. Indeed, all “Vipers” are covered with RAM (Radar Absorbent Material) made of microscopic metal grains that can degrade the radar signature of the aircraft. The Have Glass V is the latest version of the special paint, somehow similart to the one of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that has been applied to U.S. F-16s since at least 2012 when it started to appear on the F-16CM (formerly CJ) Block 50 Fighting Falcon aircraft.

MORE at the link.  But posting hoping to see some F-16 repaints out of this please...

• Like 1

Also 

Many Squadrons, including the 64th AGRS (Aggressor Squadron) at Nellis Air Force Base, the South Dakota ANG 175th Fighter Squadron and 85th TES at Eglin AFB, Florida, fly or have flown Vipers painted with the new darker color scheme. However, it’s worth noticing a slight variant in the latest aircraft from the Texas ANG: while all the other Have Glass V we have seen thus far have a radome painted in “normal” F-16 paint and color, the 149th FW’s Viper seems to have a darker radome. Moreover, unlike all the others, the two-letter tail code, serial number and squadron markings are black in color, instead of light grey.

He has got that wrong....the radome is not painted on operational F-16s but coated in a material that works with Radar...........and they are all different shades depending on their age usually. In fact they have "Do Not Paint" written on it when you see it up close.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MigBuster said:

the radome is not painted on operational F-16s but coated in a material that works with Radar...........and they are all different shades depending on their age usually.

Exactly. The same can be said about the F-22A Raptor's nose. While working on this aircraft add-on, I was puzzled to see that the nose of the Raptor looked different on various photos. In the end, I concluded that old Raptors have a darker nose, while newer ones still show a lighter shade.

• Like 1

Yup, if I recall correctly the 57th Aggressor Wing had to hunt around to get black radome for "Wraith" the black F-16 aggressor jet.  My photo from Aviation Nation 2019, obviously before the black radome got mounted:

5ddf3a123a950_INSTAGRAM_of_WRAITHINBURNERHEADINGOUT.thumb.jpg.cf74544c011097a795f996f232136fe5.jpg

Edited by JosefK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By daddyairplanes

View File 23d Wing Pope AFB 1994
      23d Wing Pope AFB 1994
      In the 1990s, the USAF experimented with composite wings that would have everything needed within a single unit for deployment into a regional fight.
      The 23 Wing was formed in 1992 to bring about this vision, as applied to direct support of US Army forces. By 1994, 4 squadrons were ready at Pope AFB NC
      to support the US Army's 82d ABN DIV at neighboring Fort Bragg. The 2d and 41st Airlift Squadrons flying the C-130E Hercules, the 74th Fighter Squadron flying
      the F-16C/D Block 40 Vipers, and the 75th Fighter Squadron flying the A-10A Warthog. As is tradition for the 23d Wing, which traces its lineage to the
      Flying Tigers of World War 2, every aircraft in the wing sported a sharks mouth.
      This mod brings together everything needed to get the 23d Wing into the fight. Complete aircraft (including a newly revamped F-16D Block 40 from ravenclaw007), period specific weapons, sounds and effects.
      Included
      Viper Team F-16C Block 40 and 75th FS skin
      ravenclaw007/Viper Team F-16D Block 40 and 75th FS skin
      Dels C-130E_SKE with 2d ALS, 41st ALS Grey and 23d Wing Euro 1 skins
      Various period specific weapons (actively in use 1994-1996)
      Installation
      unzip folder * drop into mod folder of your choice * allow overwrites
      Known Issues
      The C-130 and its weapons are primarlily eye candy. There are unfortuneatly no paratroop drop missions in SF2, and so if you want to drop say 1/325 INF onto a drop zone,
      you will need to select a recon mission and punch those partarooper out by hand
      I have been having issues getting the LAPES Sheridan tank to create a "crater" after dropping. it is still included for the visuals of puching a tank out the back of a Herk,
      and because there was still an Airborne Armor Bn at Bragg in 1994. But at this time the tank will disappear on contact with the ground

Credits
      Viper Team               all F-16 models included
      ravenclaw_007         tweeked F-16D model and templates (C and D)
      Dels                           C-130E_SKE model
      killerbee331             original weapons pack that many armaments are drawn from here
      malibu43                  2_LAU-88 mod to carry 4 Maverick rather than 6
      XRAY                         base skin for 75th FS 94
      yakarov79                LAPES M551 Sheridan and tech support with said tank
      daddyairplanes       skins, tga work, much research, various ini edits, new TW inspired loading screens
      test team                 NightshadeP/R, allenjb42
      and special thanks to   William Godwin (callsign Radio), 23d Wing Historian at Moody AFB

I hope you enjoy this mod. After 12 years total at Ft Bragg (all but 4 of them seeing the Hogs overhead near everyday) this one was a bit more personal than some other mods
      daddyairplanes
      aka Kevin Unruh
      4 July 2022
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      UPDATE 31 DEC 20220
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      After further research on other Hog units, and closer examination of the TW model, i have included Spectre8750's A-10A_93 model with updated numbers list.
      I also changed several serials after determining that they were at other bases in 1995. The deduction I used to find the C-130 serials didnt work as well
      for the Hogs. But it is fixed and I even discovered two Tiger Shark Hogs that were still in Euro 1 camoflage at the time. The A-10A_93 features two skins for
      the bulk of the gray birds and the two green ones.
      This is freeware; it CANNOT be distributed unless permissions are granted by myself.
      The original readmes, if any, and all other pieces of the package MUST remain intact.
      The names of all contributors, modders, suppliers, etc =MUST= be listed in any new readmes.
      This package and any part of it may NOT in any way, shape, or form be used in any payware additions.
      See the original readme documentation, if any, for further allowances and restrictions
      Any persons wishing to make further modifications, contact me first.
      Any persons wishing to make further modifications MUST remember to put everyone's name in it.
      THIS AIRCRAFT MOD OR ANY PART OF IT MUST NOT BE HOSTED OR
      POSTED FOR DOWNLOAD ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE WITHOUT MY EXPRESS
      PERMISSION, OR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN THIRDWIRE FLIGHT
      SIMULATORS, AND MUST NOT BE SOLD OR OFFERED FOR SALE BY ITSELF
      OR WITH ANY OTHER FILES OR MODS.
      POSTED FOR DOWNLOAD ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE WITHOUT EXPRESS
      PERMISSION FROM THE COYOTE AEROSPACE TEAM, OR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN THIRDWIRE FLIGHT
      Submitter daddyairplanes Submitted 07/04/2022 Category Other  
    • By daddyairplanes
      23d Wing Pope AFB 1994
      In the 1990s, the USAF experimented with composite wings that would have everything needed within a single unit for deployment into a regional fight.
      The 23 Wing was formed in 1992 to bring about this vision, as applied to direct support of US Army forces. By 1994, 4 squadrons were ready at Pope AFB NC
      to support the US Army's 82d ABN DIV at neighboring Fort Bragg. The 2d and 41st Airlift Squadrons flying the C-130E Hercules, the 74th Fighter Squadron flying
      the F-16C/D Block 40 Vipers, and the 75th Fighter Squadron flying the A-10A Warthog. As is tradition for the 23d Wing, which traces its lineage to the
      Flying Tigers of World War 2, every aircraft in the wing sported a sharks mouth.
      This mod brings together everything needed to get the 23d Wing into the fight. Complete aircraft (including a newly revamped F-16D Block 40 from ravenclaw007), period specific weapons, sounds and effects.
      Included
      Viper Team F-16C Block 40 and 75th FS skin
      ravenclaw007/Viper Team F-16D Block 40 and 75th FS skin
      Dels C-130E_SKE with 2d ALS, 41st ALS Grey and 23d Wing Euro 1 skins
      Various period specific weapons (actively in use 1994-1996)
      Installation
      unzip folder * drop into mod folder of your choice * allow overwrites
      Known Issues
      The C-130 and its weapons are primarlily eye candy. There are unfortuneatly no paratroop drop missions in SF2, and so if you want to drop say 1/325 INF onto a drop zone,
      you will need to select a recon mission and punch those partarooper out by hand
      I have been having issues getting the LAPES Sheridan tank to create a "crater" after dropping. it is still included for the visuals of puching a tank out the back of a Herk,
      and because there was still an Airborne Armor Bn at Bragg in 1994. But at this time the tank will disappear on contact with the ground

Credits
      Viper Team               all F-16 models included
      ravenclaw_007         tweeked F-16D model and templates (C and D)
      Dels                           C-130E_SKE model
      killerbee331             original weapons pack that many armaments are drawn from here
      malibu43                  2_LAU-88 mod to carry 4 Maverick rather than 6
      XRAY                         base skin for 75th FS 94
      yakarov79                LAPES M551 Sheridan and tech support with said tank
      daddyairplanes       skins, tga work, much research, various ini edits, new TW inspired loading screens
      test team                 NightshadeP/R, allenjb42
      and special thanks to   William Godwin (callsign Radio), 23d Wing Historian at Moody AFB

I hope you enjoy this mod. After 12 years total at Ft Bragg (all but 4 of them seeing the Hogs overhead near everyday) this one was a bit more personal than some other mods
      daddyairplanes
      aka Kevin Unruh
      4 July 2022
      UPDATE 31 DEC 20220
      After further research on other Hog units, and closer examination of the TW model, i have included Spectre8750's A-10A_93 model with updated numbers list.
      I also changed several serials after determining that they were at other bases in 1995. The deduction I used to find the C-130 serials didnt work as well
      for the Hogs. But it is fixed and I even discovered two Tiger Shark Hogs that were still in Euro 1 camoflage at the time. The A-10A_93 features two skins for
      the bulk of the gray birds and the two green ones.
      This is freeware; it CANNOT be distributed unless permissions are granted by myself.
      The original readmes, if any, and all other pieces of the package MUST remain intact.
      The names of all contributors, modders, suppliers, etc =MUST= be listed in any new readmes.
      This package and any part of it may NOT in any way, shape, or form be used in any payware additions.
      See the original readme documentation, if any, for further allowances and restrictions
      Any persons wishing to make further modifications, contact me first.
      Any persons wishing to make further modifications MUST remember to put everyone's name in it.
      POSTED FOR DOWNLOAD ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE WITHOUT MY EXPRESS
      PERMISSION, OR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN THIRDWIRE FLIGHT
      POSTED FOR DOWNLOAD ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE WITHOUT EXPRESS
      PERMISSION FROM THE COYOTE AEROSPACE TEAM, OR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN THIRDWIRE FLIGHT
    • By Menrva

View File NovaLogic Skin Pack
      NovaLogic Skin Pack
      September 13th, 2022 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
      This package includes high quality skins representing the player's aircraft from three lite flight simulators released by NovaLogic, namely F-22 Raptor in 1997, F-16 Multirole Fighter and MiG-29 Fulcrum both released in 1998. Below, a summary of the details of each skins:
      -NL_357CW, for the F-22A Raptor aircraft I released. This skin represents the fictive Raptor Squadron of the 58th TFS, 357th CW (Composite Wing), which took part in military operations in Angola, Jordan, Russia, Colombia and Iran. Serial numbers are realistic, the first being 001 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_16AESOG, for the F-16C Block 42 aircraft released by The Viper Team. It depicts the fictive Viper Squadron of the 32nd TFS, 16th AESOG (Air Expeditionary Special Operations Group), which took part in military operations in Serbia, Liberia, Congo, Burma and Somalia. I made the skin for the Block 42, since it's reminescent of the one that NovaLogic modelled. Serial numbers are semi-realistic, the first being 112 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_11EW, for the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C aircraft released by The Mirage Factory. It depicts the fictive 300 Squadron of the 7th Red Banner Guards Regiment, 11th Expeditionary Wing, which took part in military operations in the Kurile Islands, Uganda, Somalia, Burma and Tajikistan. Serial numbers are generic, the aircraft does not have any in NovaLogic's game.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -The Viper Team, for its detailed F-16 3d models and relative templates.
      -The Mirage Factory, for its good old MiG-29 3d model.
      -Sundowner, for the MiG-29 templates he made available.
      -yakarov79, for his reworked F-22 3d model and relative templates.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 09/12/2022 Category What If Skins  
    • By Menrva
      NovaLogic Skin Pack
      September 13th, 2022 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
      This package includes high quality skins representing the player's aircraft from three lite flight simulators released by NovaLogic, namely F-22 Raptor in 1997, F-16 Multirole Fighter and MiG-29 Fulcrum both released in 1998. Below, a summary of the details of each skins:
      -NL_357CW, for the F-22A Raptor aircraft I released. This skin represents the fictive Raptor Squadron of the 58th TFS, 357th CW (Composite Wing), which took part in military operations in Angola, Jordan, Russia, Colombia and Iran. Serial numbers are realistic, the first being 001 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_16AESOG, for the F-16C Block 42 aircraft released by The Viper Team. It depicts the fictive Viper Squadron of the 32nd TFS, 16th AESOG (Air Expeditionary Special Operations Group), which took part in military operations in Serbia, Liberia, Congo, Burma and Somalia. I made the skin for the Block 42, since it's reminescent of the one that NovaLogic modelled. Serial numbers are semi-realistic, the first being 112 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_11EW, for the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C aircraft released by The Mirage Factory. It depicts the fictive 300 Squadron of the 7th Red Banner Guards Regiment, 11th Expeditionary Wing, which took part in military operations in the Kurile Islands, Uganda, Somalia, Burma and Tajikistan. Serial numbers are generic, the aircraft does not have any in NovaLogic's game.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -The Viper Team, for its detailed F-16 3d models and relative templates.
      -The Mirage Factory, for its good old MiG-29 3d model.
      -Sundowner, for the MiG-29 templates he made available.
      -yakarov79, for his reworked F-22 3d model and relative templates.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
    • By DinoGarner
      Hello, Folks!
      My upcoming coffee-table book is TOPGUN: The Otherworldly Dreams of a Lifelong Ten Year Old. It features breathtaking images from my flights at TOPGUN, plus units of the Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Our colleague, Navy Captain “Heater” Heatley, said, “Pretty cool graphics and layout. Nice pics!”    I’d like you and your colleagues and beyond to review an unfinished, first-draft copy my book, fall in love with it, and write testimonials/blurbs, please. The book will be published in early 2023, so you have some time to say yes. I’m also offering all the beautiful aviation images that appear in the book free of charge to air and space museums worldwide in perpetuity. My small way of giving back for inspiration over my lifetime.   First, I’m Dino Garner, former scientist, Army Ranger, corporate merc, military aviation photographer, NY Times bestselling ghostwriter and editor of many cool books. Back in the day, I was the only independent civilian photographer to fly in all frontline fighters and attack aircraft of the US Air Force, Navy and Marines, plus helos of the Coast Guard. Had to quit that fun to report for duty as a US Army Airborne Ranger.   Modesty aside, I took some stunning images that were on the covers and interiors of Smithsonian Air&Space, Newsweek, Time, US News and World Report, and in dozens of books, newspapers, articles, etc.   The final book will be a 550-page coffee-table book that features my military aviation images, plus chapters by prominent people: Foreword by aviation neuropsychologist Dr. David Prewett, “Zatar” by Lt Gen Dave Deptula, Boyword by a 10-year-old boy/student pilot, and Afterword by Dave Senior’s son, Lt Col “Ghost” Deptula. There will also be a special dedication to "Heater" Heatley.   This is also unique: I added dozens of candid pix of my fighter pilots and support personnel in scrapbook fashion and added some cool graphics that look like advertisements for the US military fighter aviation.   I have spared no expense in the production of this book: it will be printed by the best offset-printing company of high-end books, in South Korea. Heavy, matte art paper interior; cloth hardcover with an added French-fold cover. A draft of the full cover is below. Dimensions: 8.5”H x 11”W x 2.5”D.   If you’d like to see the entire book, I can email you a Dropbox link to download the full-color pdf file to view on your computer. It’s too large to view directly on Dropbox.   Many thanks for listening. I hope you’ll consider my proposal.   Cheers,   Dino “Wang” Garner   dino@topgun.photography

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..