Hi folks,this is my quick 'n dirty conversion of the RA-5C to a fleet defence / attack platform. A/G loadouts in progress and some skinning work needed !

FA-5C Cruise.JPG

FA-5C Hanger.jpg

FA-5C Phoenix.JPG

FA-5C.jpg

• Like 13

you know, this would have been a good way to bring Phoenix capable aircraft to the Midways, which were unable to handle Tomcats (they got many Hornet squadrons IRL)

Looks like a North American project NR-349 Retaliator, but without third engine.

:good:

• Like 3

I think this was one of the first mods I can remember from SFP1.

Bit more tweaking....added 2 extra outer wing pylons for sidewinders and the Northrop TCS system....

img00030.jpg

img00031.jpg

img00032.jpg

img00033.jpg

• Like 4

This F/A-5C is a flying AEGIS destroyer........ or a third-size EB-1C.

Superb! Love the TCS.

Writing about the A-5A Vigilante in 'Bomber Aircraft of the West' Bill Gunston reckoned it had an excellent wing for a fighter.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] North American F-109A Retaliator
      North American F-109A 'Retaliator' for Strike Fighters 2
      This is a simple mod of Julhelm's superb North American A-5A Vigilante to make a fictional 'Retaliator' interceptor-fighter in service with the USAF in the 1964 to 1988 timeline. There was actually several North American proposals for 'fighter' Vigilantes offered to the USN and to the USAF and it's a pity that the enormous potential of this amazing aircraft was never fully realised. Anyway, 'what if' markings are enclosed for three ANG squadrons;
      1. 101st Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Massachusetts ANG
      2. 159th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Florida ANG
      3. 186th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Montana ANG

BACKSTORY
      Development of the North American A3J-1 Vigilante progressed well during the late 1950's and the first flight of the YA3J-1 prototype in August 1958 revealed it to be a real thoroughbred, packed from nose to tail with outstanding technology. However, a strong faction against the Vigilante was forming within the USN arguing that strategic bombing was not part of the USN's business and North American decided not to assume that large orders for the 'basic' A3J-1 would follow and they began to look at other roles for the Vigilante.
      One line of development would eventually lead to the reconnaissance Vigilante (RA-5C) but another line of development transformed the A3J-1 into various fleet defender and ADC fighter options. Fortunately, the wing of the A3J-1 was designed for zero wind over deck launches and this resulted in a wing too large for low-level attack missions but ideal for a fighter. During early 1959 North American offered a long-range fighter version to the USN and USAF but had only a lukewarm response. However, following the cancellation of their F-108 Rapier in September 1959 things now became a bit more urgent for North American and they schemed a revised A3J-1 Fighter with uprated J79 engines and semi-recessed Sparrow missiles. 
      Trying again in 1960 they received a firm no from the USN (who by then knew they had a winner in the F4H-1 Phantom II) but the USAF agreed to a detailed analysis of an optimsed land-based interceptor fighter (named Retaliator in May 1960) and in June 1960 they announced that the Retaliator was to be ordered as an immediate follow-on to the F-106 programme with 350 ordered although this figure was later reduced to 240.
      The prototype YF-109 flew on April 30th 1962 and production F-109A's entered service in late 1964 with the 5th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Minot AFB, North Dakota. The only export order was from Canada who ordered 60 in 1968 and these entered service with No.409 squadron in 1969 remaining in service until 1990.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-109A folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-109A folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the PILOTS folder drag and drop the F-109A_FuelPod into your Pilots folder.
      That's it!

NOTES
      Julhelm's Vigilante comes with an authentic Vigilante pit so rather than just slap a Phantom pit into this bird I've used his pit and just tweaked the ini's for the interceptor-fighter role. I'm not the greatest on avionics but it works! 
      In this revised upload I've chosen to include the Fuel Pod as a pilot (in the same way that we add a Fake Pilot) as I'd noticed my wingmen were jettisoning it when the action started even when adding NoJettisonTank=TRUE. I've also added AIM-9 Sidewinder's to the Retaliator's inner wing pylons.
      This aircraft needs/deserves a gun but I've resisted the temptation. However, you can add one if you like and the space from the redundant linear bomb bay could easily accommodate a neat M61 installation slap-bang on the centreline.

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Big thanks to Julhelm for bringing one of my personal all-times favourites to the community. 
      And thanks to Julhelm for also releasing his templates for ham-fisted amateurs like me to screw around with!
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 

Spinners
      Version 2 - January 3rd, 2024

Submitter Spinners Submitted 06/03/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      North American F-109A 'Retaliator' for Strike Fighters 2
      This is a simple mod of Julhelm's superb North American A-5A Vigilante to make a fictional 'Retaliator' interceptor-fighter in service with the USAF in the 1964 to 1988 timeline. There was actually several North American proposals for 'fighter' Vigilantes offered to the USN and to the USAF and it's a pity that the enormous potential of this amazing aircraft was never fully realised. Anyway, 'what if' markings are enclosed for three ANG squadrons;
      1. 101st Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Massachusetts ANG
      2. 159th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Florida ANG
      3. 186th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - Montana ANG

BACKSTORY
      Development of the North American A3J-1 Vigilante progressed well during the late 1950's and the first flight of the YA3J-1 prototype in August 1958 revealed it to be a real thoroughbred, packed from nose to tail with outstanding technology. However, a strong faction against the Vigilante was forming within the USN arguing that strategic bombing was not part of the USN's business and North American decided not to assume that large orders for the 'basic' A3J-1 would follow and they began to look at other roles for the Vigilante.
      One line of development would eventually lead to the reconnaissance Vigilante (RA-5C) but another line of development transformed the A3J-1 into various fleet defender and ADC fighter options. Fortunately, the wing of the A3J-1 was designed for zero wind over deck launches and this resulted in a wing too large for low-level attack missions but ideal for a fighter. During early 1959 North American offered a long-range fighter version to the USN and USAF but had only a lukewarm response. However, following the cancellation of their F-108 Rapier in September 1959 things now became a bit more urgent for North American and they schemed a revised A3J-1 Fighter with uprated J79 engines and semi-recessed Sparrow missiles. 
      Trying again in 1960 they received a firm no from the USN (who by then knew they had a winner in the F4H-1 Phantom II) but the USAF agreed to a detailed analysis of an optimsed land-based interceptor fighter (named Retaliator in May 1960) and in June 1960 they announced that the Retaliator was to be ordered as an immediate follow-on to the F-106 programme with 350 ordered although this figure was later reduced to 240.
      The prototype YF-109 flew on April 30th 1962 and production F-109A's entered service in late 1964 with the 5th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Minot AFB, North Dakota. The only export order was from Canada who ordered 60 in 1968 and these entered service with No.409 squadron in 1969 remaining in service until 1990.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-109A folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-109A folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the PILOTS folder drag and drop the F-109A_FuelPod into your Pilots folder.
      That's it!

NOTES
      Julhelm's Vigilante comes with an authentic Vigilante pit so rather than just slap a Phantom pit into this bird I've used his pit and just tweaked the ini's for the interceptor-fighter role. I'm not the greatest on avionics but it works! 
      In this revised upload I've chosen to include the Fuel Pod as a pilot (in the same way that we add a Fake Pilot) as I'd noticed my wingmen were jettisoning it when the action started even when adding NoJettisonTank=TRUE. I've also added AIM-9 Sidewinder's to the Retaliator's inner wing pylons.
      This aircraft needs/deserves a gun but I've resisted the temptation. However, you can add one if you like and the space from the redundant linear bomb bay could easily accommodate a neat M61 installation slap-bang on the centreline.

CREDITS
      Big thanks to Julhelm for bringing one of my personal all-times favourites to the community. 
      And thanks to Julhelm for also releasing his templates for ham-fisted amateurs like me to screw around with!
      Regards 

Spinners
      Version 2 - January 3rd, 2024

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] RAAF RA-5C Vigilante
      North American A-5D Vigilante for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of Julhelm's RA-5C to create a fictional A-5D Vigilante in service with the Royal Australian Air Force in the 1964-1989 timeline. Some of you might be aware that an Aussie Vigilante was seriously considered in the early 1960's as a replacement for the RAAF's outdated Canberra bombers but the Menzies government eventually chose the F-111C in October 1963.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the WEAPONS folder drag and drop the A-5D_FUEL folder into your Weapons folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Special thanks to Julhelm for bringing the awesome Vigilante to the SF universe!
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - December 31, 2023
      (Previously released as a skin only but trapped in the What If aircraft hangar)
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 08/06/2009 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      North American A-5D Vigilante for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of Julhelm's RA-5C to create a fictional A-5D Vigilante in service with the Royal Australian Air Force in the 1964-1989 timeline. Some of you might be aware that an Aussie Vigilante was seriously considered in the early 1960's as a replacement for the RAAF's outdated Canberra bombers but the Menzies government eventually chose the F-111C in October 1963.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the A-5D folder into your Decals folder.
      3. From the WEAPONS folder drag and drop the A-5D_FUEL folder into your Weapons folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Special thanks to Julhelm for bringing the awesome Vigilante to the SF universe!
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - December 31, 2023
      (Previously released as a skin only but trapped in the What If aircraft hangar)
    • By crisisloaner
      Hi all, I can't get the linear bomb bay to carry the nuclear store train. I see the latest RA-5C uses fake pilot for the fuel tank option but I really want the nuke option. Anyone know how to get this working in SF-2 ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..