KJakker

Civilian Airliners and SAM Defenses Discussion.

I did not want to clog up @GKABS Ukraine Airlines crashed in Iran thread with this question so I started a new thread. 

With the Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 incident in Iran on January 8th, 2020 and looking back at past events with the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 shoot down over Ukraine on July 17th, 2014, and the USS Vincennes's (CG-49) shoot down of Iran Air Flight 655 on July 3rd,1988 it got me thinking. What kind of safety procedures do nations with actively deployed SAM defenses have in place in order to prevent accidents like these from happening?

I am thinking both about how it was done in the past when the US, UK, and other NATO nations had Bomarc, Nike, Bloodhound, and HAWK batteries as well as their Warsaw Pact counterparts SA-1, SA-2, SA-3, SA-5, etc. during the Cold War as well as how nations with modern deployed SAM systems like Israel's present missile defense systems, Russia, South Korea, etc. do it today.

• Like 2

I guess there are certain procedures before a SAM operator pushes the button. Especially during 70s and 80s when NATO and Warsaw Pact operated a large number of Nike-Hercules, HAWKs, SA-2s, SA-3s, SA-5s etc, I can not imagine that all these dense SAM networks were operated without strict safety procedures. However things get more difficult on areas with an ongoing conflict. 

I guess tracking an aircraft on elevation, azimuth and range can give important information concerning its flight. Any radar or SAM operators around to share their knowledge?

In peacetime the SAM batteries in WP were under strict control. They were integrated in a hugh air defence network with central command structure. Without order of the central command it was not allowed to open the fire. Even the activation and direction of radar was limited. Violation of the rules was punished.

Trigger happy soldiers never had the chance to come close to the fire button.

• Like 1

First of all, if an aircraft not responds or does not have the proper IFF signals then the QRA bird(s) get raised and intercept it, and try to make contact. Process for SAM batteries were like Gepard described. Multiple authorization layers to ensure no trigger happy chaps start WW3 by accident. Circumstances could dictate faster responses from time to time. During the Cold war period, daily alerts were always on the menu to test response time and training levels, so those went up to the point of getting authorizations, whether it was practice or actual alert the crew never knew ahead, only at the end when waited for the "go".  Missile defenses might also put on alert with the lift of QRA and if that can not locate the AC then SAM might take over if justified. 
During the Serbian-Croatian war around our nuclear reactor (Paks) the SAM batteries did have good authority given due to the object they defended, but even then first they had to try to get in contact with the AC, and QRA was always lifted, if needed from multiple bases, and only when the AC entered the no-fly zone had permit to take actions "on its own", but always an officer giving the OK, never the operator.
Back in those days, there were "corridors" where civilian traffic was allowed, if a flight detoured for any reason even the slightest and not corrected, Intercepts were raised.  Given today's "always fly the shortest as possible" attitude those corridors barely exists, so things changed/eased a lot from a civilian standpoint.

all this IFF then QRA work only when your government in your country are normal and have adequate brain. if govenments are thieves and "monkey" with granade all technology do not work. i personaly seen how (pro)russian paramilitary troops shoot at comercial An-24 in 2014 y at Ukraine. The missile missed. i thought oh my god! they ll kill pessenger aircraft sooner or later. and they did. The same in Iran i see.

Edited by bazillius
grammar mistakes

Best to install anti-missile defense systems, like the Israeli passenger jets have!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nesher said:

Best to install anti-missile defense systems, like the Israeli passenger jets have!

I wonder why it's not standard procedure. I guess it would increase costs. But the passengers' lives are not expendable; all means to ensure their safety should be taken. In a different world maybe...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GKABS
      I decided to make a post so I can put all my work in one place I hope you okay with that.
      Okay here is the update of the M978/M977 HEMTT more detail will be added but this is how it looks so far.

• By obin91
      Hi everyone 
      I'm downloaded few weeks ago the socotra terrain but I have a little issue about sam systems. All Static sam site ( execpt SA-5) explodes when they're firing. 
      Anyone has the same issue ? 
      Lando 
    • By angelp

View File HQ-9 Self Propelled Air Defence System
      HQ-9 Self Propelled Air Defence System
      The FD-2000/HQ-9 was developed to provide a long range SAM capability, distinct from the medium range capabilities of the HQ-12/KS-1 series. The FT-2000 is a derivative which is fitted with an anti-radiation seeker and intended for engagements against AEW&C/AWACS and stand-off jamming aircraft.
      The HQ-9 is supported by the HT-233 phased array engagement radar, like the H-200 modelled on the MPQ-53 and 30N6E designs, carried on a Taian  TAS5501 series 10 x 10 high mobility vehicle, common to the HQ-9 TEL and similar in design to the S-400's BAZ-6900 series vehicle. Chinese sources claim C-band operation with 300 MHz receiver/antenna bandwidth, detection and tracking range of 150/100 km, and monopulse angle tracking to resist jamming. The design bears considerable similarity to the 30N6E series, especially in the antenna design.
      Recently disclosed imagery shows the use of the  self-propelled Type 305A, Type 305B and Type 120 radars as  the battery acquisition  radar component. The designation FD-2000 is for export configurations of the HQ-9.
      Instalation:
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      Put the content of the objects/ folder in your mod folder.
      Crédits : 
      --------------------------------------------------------------
      3d Model, textures, INI files: angelp
      This addon is and will in all cases remain freeware, and is only allowed to be available here in Combat Ace
      Released under Combat Ace Fair-Use terms
      Submitter angelp Submitted 12/05/2021 Category Ground Object Mods  
    • By angelp
      HQ-9 Self Propelled Air Defence System
      The FD-2000/HQ-9 was developed to provide a long range SAM capability, distinct from the medium range capabilities of the HQ-12/KS-1 series. The FT-2000 is a derivative which is fitted with an anti-radiation seeker and intended for engagements against AEW&C/AWACS and stand-off jamming aircraft.
      The HQ-9 is supported by the HT-233 phased array engagement radar, like the H-200 modelled on the MPQ-53 and 30N6E designs, carried on a Taian  TAS5501 series 10 x 10 high mobility vehicle, common to the HQ-9 TEL and similar in design to the S-400's BAZ-6900 series vehicle. Chinese sources claim C-band operation with 300 MHz receiver/antenna bandwidth, detection and tracking range of 150/100 km, and monopulse angle tracking to resist jamming. The design bears considerable similarity to the 30N6E series, especially in the antenna design.
      Recently disclosed imagery shows the use of the  self-propelled Type 305A, Type 305B and Type 120 radars as  the battery acquisition  radar component. The designation FD-2000 is for export configurations of the HQ-9.
      Instalation:
      Crédits : 
      This addon is and will in all cases remain freeware, and is only allowed to be available here in Combat Ace
    • By angelp

View File Buk M2E SAM system
      Buk M2E Surface to Air missile system
      The Buk missile system is a family of self-propelled, medium-range surface-to-air missile systems developed by the Soviet Union and its successor state, the Russian Federation, and designed to counter cruise missiles, smart bombs, fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft, and unmanned aerial vehicles
      The Buk system was created as a replacement of the 9k12 Kub in the air defenses forces of the Soviet Union and succesor states. A typical batallion consist of a command vehicle, a target acquisition radar vehicle and 6 TELAR vehicles, with three TELs.
      The M2E variant uses the 6x6 MZKT-6922 wheeled vehicle, in order to produce a hight road mobility and low operating cost variant of the system.
      The pack contains the 9K317E Buk M2E / MZKT-6922 TELAR and the 9S18M1E Snow Drift acquisition Radar mounted on a MZKT-6922 trnasport.
      Finally, this pack is still a BETA, need some fine tunning inthe missile and system performance and other vehicles asociated with the system like the command post and the low level radar. Is released for the CA community to have a modern variant of the Buk missile to play with.

Instalation:
      Crédits :
      Submitter angelp Submitted 12/04/2021 Category Ground Object Mods  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..