Hello people,

I've recently came across Strike Fighter 2 by looking for a good Combat simulator which isn't very simulative (like DCS) but also isn't totally arcade (like the majority of the fighter games out there). Also I was looking for a good game with a chance to play tons of planes so I think I'm in the right place.

Just to give some more details regarding my experience in Combat simulators, I've played from the oldest Jane's IAF, Eidos JSF to Warthunder. The last one is what I'm actually looking to achieve in terms of Command configuration.

I guess SF2 is pretty tough to learn but I have some issue with the controls. I don't have any Joystick/Hotas/Gamepads so I kept the keyboard configuration, but I've noticed that is very hard to move the plane with the arrows especially to keep the plane straight in the same position.
I've tried to go mouse+keyboard configuration but the mouse controls are reversed (if I move the mouse ahead the plane is going up, insted to going down as it should be) so it's even worst compared to keyboard.

So I am here to ask you guys which configuration do you have, if you have any tips and if there is any way, maybe, to configure also the mouse in better way.

Thanks 

I have a HOTAS and trying to fly mouse and keyboard (Flanker 1 I had a keyboard and mouse setup back in the day, Flanker 2 I learned it was better with a stick) doesn't work well given the fedelity of most games that involve flying (SF2, DCS). But for most flying sims a stick is better, and I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X though. Here's a link for some joysticks:

https://amzn.to/2NzZwQX

Yes, there is NO question a joystick is required. Take it as gospel from those of us that have been flying it since the original came out in 2003.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no discussion, this game must be played with hotas/joypad, right? I mean, I can understand since is pretty much a simulation game, but I wanted to try to find a solution also for keyboard+mouse, but I guess I have the answer here.

well, there is a thread here by Shousa, about using a tablet. Look for "SimDashboard", i think that's it.

13 hours ago, AxtonJT said:

So there is no discussion, this game must be played with hotas/joypad, right?

No.

It is more enjoyable...but

You can also set up everything on a keyboard. 

years ago when I was traveling a lot at work and i wanted to work on mods as well  - I was using a laptop. And testing - playing without a joystick. And It is not hard, not so hard. I would say it is easy like brushing teeth.  You just need to have comfy key mapping. 

I had no single issue with that. I was able to fly, here and there, do some dogfights, strafe ground targets, etc. All sorts of stuff as with joystick but on keyboard.

still have my Test fighters install on laptop.  throttle + / - (Z and X)  rudder (A and S) general movement on arrows...the rest is just matter of easy access on the keyboard more like first-person shoooter....easy peasy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply yakorov79. I'm going to try your build, maybe is working better also for me.

I'll also have a look to the SimDashboard to see what I can achieve.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I was wondering how to customize the numbers after your callsigns, since it always gives me the same ones.
      I think i managed somehow once, a bit of time ago, but now i forgot and have no idea how to.
      I'm not talking about how to customize the callsign name, but the unit number after it.
      As you can see in the Roster and in the picture under, i get "Fast Eagle 1-1" and "Fast Eagle 1-2"
      Here are some examples:

The numbers on the tail, wing and nose numbers are customized, cause i managed how to change them, choosing them individually for each unit in the mission file by changing "AircraftNumber=" and typing the number, like "2" (as for 202). It doesn't change by typing the whole number tho, like 202 by typing 202, but it goes by typing the number that corresponds to the list of numbers you have. For example, In a list that goes from 200 to 400, you will have to type 10 to get 300. Here i just typed "2" and "7" since the list starts from 200

IIRC, in the past i just used to type the Aircaft number just like that, and in-game i had the proper number after the callsign, like "Fast Eagle 102", not just the number displayed on the plane livery.
      How do i do? I'm pretty sure that it's possible to have "Fast Eagle 102" on my screen HUD and in the Roster
      Thanks in advance for helping me.

• By JPMoney
      I’m flying an F-16I Sufa mod for Strike Fighters 2 Israel. I’ve modified the loadout ini file in an attempt to change the missile types and positions on the pylons. I’m having a consistent issue with the outer pylons (not the wingtip mounts, but the furthest pylons from the fuselage under the wings). I want these to carry one AMRAAM each, and as far as I can tell I have modified the loadout ini, the related missile object inis, and aircraft ini to be able to accommodate this. However, when I go to a single mission in-game and access the loadout screen, those outer pylons are always empty (no missiles). When I go to add missiles manually to these pylons, all AMRAAM types only are available in “4s” and not “2s.” So in other words it’s trying to mount 2 AMRAAMs on each pylon, which shouldn’t be possible (realistically), as these are set up for single missiles only. The F-16I ini file does have a relatively complex series of pylon rules, but I believe I have it set up to be able to mount AMRAAMs on these pylons, and I can’t find any setting in any file that would allow me to indicate there should only be the option to mount one missile per pylon in the loadout screen in game. I suspect a setting related to this “4 missiles” issue is preventing my loadout ini file from operating correctly and defaulting my vipers to have AMRAAMs on those pylons. 

Any thoughts on a setting I am missing here?
    • By LaoHu
      I downloaded this mod for the F-5 and all of the skins for the aircraft are black, which means the textures aren't loading but I can't find out why it isn't loading. There is no exact installation instructions other than extract it into the mod folder which I did and there doesn't look like there are any issues with the file placement compared to the other aircraft files. Can anyone help me out?

P.S. the drop tanks have the textures working and the cockpit, loading screen, menu, etc all work. Everything but the skin. 

• By pearlharbor74
      Ok so in sf2 when i try to spawn ground vehicles with mission editor like an anti aircraft just any ground vehicle from mission editor it does not pop up inside the game once i load in not even on  the map it just like vanishes once i click accept from mission editor. Inside the mission editor i can spawn everything else without a problem planes/ships/ that stuff yk just cant spawn ground objects can someone pls help :)
      2023-02-25 02-20-56_Trim.mp4
    • By JaneyBananey
      Howdy y'all!
      So, I installed Wings Over Europe via Steam, promptly updated it to the October 2008 patch, and fixed the stuttering by using the ENB patch for Skyrim (of all things). I also cribbed the DDraw.dll from the DgVoodoo install, which prevented the game crashing when pressing escape at the end of a mission. A couple of things to note here:
      - The renderer indicated in the options menu is not ENB, but my GPU still. Despite this, the game runs perfectly fine.
      - I turned the shadows down from Unlimited to High as I read on a forum post that this could help with z-fighting, but this did not solve the issue. I will turn it back up to Unlimited if it is all the same.
      - There are absolutely no other graphical issues in the sim what so ever, no matter the aircraft, time of day, or weather.
      The issue I am describing in the title appears like so in sim. I took three screenshots so you could see the way the dark boxes flicker on surfaces. It is not just aircraft, either, but also terrain. It seems to get culled in a circle as I turn my head with TrackIR:

As you can see, my wingman gets periodically eaten by this weird black blob. I am at a loss as to how to fix it, and if it cannot be fixed, that's completely understandable given the Biblical age of the engine. Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..