GKABS

Good News SP2 work with HTC Vive using Vorpx

Good new gentlemen, :clapping:I got the game running using my HTC Vive headset and Vorpx software profile attached. everything works great with the original terrains but the minute I load the user-created terrains the game stops.  I need to do more testing. I am really excited :drinks: I couldn't take a screenshot as they all come out black.

Strike Fighter 2.zip

Edited by GKABS
  • Like 4

This is a quick video to show you that it's working

and a photo from inside the Vive, not the best quality lol

20200120_180323[3829].jpg

Edited by GKABS
  • Like 6

Good research. Is the yaw restricted by SF2? The rotation should be unrestricted & at 1:1 scale, but if there's nothing modelled behind the pilot, then I guess there's no point allowing it to go that far around. And how is the 3D depth effect?

That Vorpx is only for Vive? I have the Rift-S.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Platinum Rogue said:

Good research. Is the yaw restricted by SF2? The rotation should be unrestricted & at 1:1 scale, but if there's nothing modelled behind the pilot, then I guess there's no point allowing it to go that far around. And how is the 3D depth effect?

The rotation is not restricted but I need to test it more so I can find the best fov setting.

That Vorpx is only for Vive? I have the Rift-S.

I only have the Vive but the software support all vr so it should work with Rift

Edited by GKABS

Top ! I like and I am interested... :good:

• Like 1

I'm in the infancy of exploring Vorp-X with Strike Fighters 2 - but I love what I see so far. * Standard disclaimer * - I bought Vorp-X for $40 and feel I'm now squeezing my money out of it with Strike Fighters 2 (and hopefully EECH) - but I'd caution people to read the reviews of Vorp-X and understand it does require some tweaking, although I think it is pretty easy to work with. Anyway..I would just caution that Vorp-X isn't a magic VR bullet but it does work quite well so far with my HP Reverb and SF2.

With that out of the way - I agree with all GKABS has said, except I HAVE gotten it to work fine with both vanilla SF2, and the SF2 War for Israel campaign. I tried it with my heavily modded SF2 Vietnam exe and it crashes..so not sure what is going on with that. But it is rock steady with SF2 and SF2 War for Israel (the heavily modded one, not the stock Israel).

Some screens I've caught the past two days through the lens. The resolution is much, much better in the headset..these are just crappy grabs by holding my iPhone up to the lens so they are way blurrier than in the Reverb...

a45d15330f8023e96e2c0c86a7055da2bbb1e5f3

3cc535f39888d7ad20394aeec930478aa2382470

2d684058321a46e44ecf544b45a55b15f9db355a

bd767827daac0fededb4f82aece88d8ced33cca1

db87215a5d7ef9b68aa6f4ab232aeef4474e42af

4c39bced12c32da29ddde82b84819642abef8da6

e1ca1659f05fc35261d139f3cf962bd7d529e091

bf13b034fc593b00f08254643bd8fa76818f42d1

5f1255d6a0806a66e8fa64b625604caf242e85c0

f56db4937feaebcff6661f1db04dc21a26354d72

I'll post up a video shortly. I won't post my settings or anything quite yet as I'm still very new to Vorp-X and will try to do some trial and error before getting specific.

• Like 4

It really gives you a different feeling flying in VR :smile: love the video :good:

• Like 1

So yeah, I've been trying to get the StrikeFighters2 Vietnam.exe to work with Vorp-X, but I keep getting a crash right after I try to launch a mission. That version is probably my most heavily modded version/exe I'm running..I'll keep running some tests and build a list of executables that are working...

• Like 1

So far I have

Working:

• Strike Fighters 2 (generic)
  • SF2 Odyssey Dawn
  • SF2 War For Israel
  • SF2 Operation Darius
  • SF2 North Atlantic
  • SF2 Europe
  • SF2 Red Storm Rising
  • SF2 Vietnam Air & Ground War Expansion

NOT WORKING:

• SF2 Operation Desert Storm (probably just needs to be reinstalled)

Edited by beachav8r
  • Like 2

OK, I can finally move SF2 Vietnam Expansion up into the WORKING category! I did a total clean reinstall of that mod and right now it is working. Now to add in some of the mods that I had added to that to juice things up a bit....

• Like 2

That is good news. looking forward for your progress.:drinks:

10 hours ago, GKABS said:

That is good news. looking forward for your progress.

I did get SF2 Vietnam Air & Ground War Expansion working - I had to reinstall it and then the EXE worked fine with vorpX.

Now I'll go on to Phase II - taking a look at the aircraft cockpit INI files to see how to most improve the view and seat position while in VR. I'm not familiar with all of that stuff, but I do see values that look like they may free up the ability to look all around as opposed to being constrained to certain degrees left, right, up and down. I'm I correct that the SF2 cockpits are not 6DOF (I won't be able to lean forward and back or tilt my head - just left/right up/down right?)...

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=F-8C_pit
Offset=0.0,-0.10,0.0
Position=0.0,-0.26,1.00
// Position=0.0,0.0,0.75
ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxYaw=152
MinYaw=-152
MaxPitch=90
MinPitchFront=-47
MinPitchRear=-30

• Like 1

I have been doing the adjustment in the viewlist.ini (globally) file as well as the vorpx. But I am not expert at this someone from our community will give us a hand soon.  furthermore the game have been giving me hard time in the last 6 days, the game make my pc restart with no warning, until I get it fixed I am afraid I can't do any more testing.

Edited by GKABS

19 hours ago, beachav8r said:

I did get SF2 Vietnam Air & Ground War Expansion working - I had to reinstall it and then the EXE worked fine with vorpX.

Now I'll go on to Phase II - taking a look at the aircraft cockpit INI files to see how to most improve the view and seat position while in VR. I'm not familiar with all of that stuff, but I do see values that look like they may free up the ability to look all around as opposed to being constrained to certain degrees left, right, up and down. I'm I correct that the SF2 cockpits are not 6DOF (I won't be able to lean forward and back or tilt my head - just left/right up/down right?)...

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=F-8C_pit
Offset=0.0,-0.10,0.0
Position=0.0,-0.26,1.00
// Position=0.0,0.0,0.75
ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxYaw=152
MinYaw=-152
MaxPitch=90
MinPitchFront=-47
MinPitchRear=-30

I have found this 

• Like 1

So I did mess with the Cockpit.INI file for the Skyraider, and indeed, settings the values to 360s and 180s gives total 1:1 freedom of looking around with vorpX. Still hunting for the Field of View adjustment though..looks like it is VIEWLIST.ini...

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=F-8C_pit
Offset=0.0,-0.10,0.0
Position=0.0,-0.26,1.20
//Position=0.0,0.0,0.75
ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxYaw=360
MinYaw=-360
MaxPitch=180
MinPitchFront=-180
MinPitchRear=-180
//MaxYaw=180
//MinYaw=-180
//MaxPitch=90
//MinPitchFront=-90
//MinPitchRear=-90
LightRange=1.5

Edited by beachav8r
  • Like 1

OK, so VIEWLIST.INI does hold the key to overall game field of view settings. Interestingly though, it wasn't my experience that the FOV value changed the in-headset FOV. It was OffsetDistance that seems to widen and narrow the field of view in the headset. So you'll have to tinker with the OffsetDistance and the vorpX overlay menu to find the setting that both fills your entire view in the headset, and doesn't appear to be too zoomed in. One slight artifact of messing with OffsetDistance is that there appears to be a slight 3D distortion perhaps..hard to explain, that you quickly recognize after the change, but quickly goes away as your eyes and brain adjust to it.

I haven't settled on these settings, but I'm getting close. The takeaway in this ini listing is the OffsetDistance change to -.175 (negative value).

[ViewClass002]
ViewClassName=CockpitViewClass
ViewType=FIXED_VIEW
ViewGroupID=1
DefaultView=CockpitFront
AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE
SnapView=FALSE
InsideView=TRUE
FocusObjectOnly=TRUE
FOV=120.0
//FOV=60.0
PitchControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS
YawControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS
RollControl=
ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL
JumpToViewSameGroup=FALSE
JumpToViewDiffGroup=TRUE
SmoothAngleTransition=TRUE
SmoothPositionTransition=FALSE
SmoothFOVTransition=TRUE
RememberAngle=FALSE
RememberFOV=TRUE
LimitPitch=TRUE
LimitYaw=TRUE
LimitRoll=FALSE
ZoomFOV=TRUE
ZoomScale=0.01
PanScale=0.00160
MinSpeed=100.0
MaxSpeed=10000.0
Acceleration=2000.0
AngleRates=480.0,360.0,360.0
FOVRate=60.0
MinAngles=-135.0,-20.0,0.0
MaxAngles=135.0,110.0,0.0
MinFOV=15.0
MaxFOV=120.0
//OffsetDistance=0.06
OffsetDistance=-.175
TrackIRUseAbsolutePos=TRUE

Video through the lens..was clearer and sharper than what is shown here, just trying to mash my phone up into the eye piece...

Here you can see my vorpX settings. Important settings:

Full VR Mode
Pixel 1-1
Image Zoom .75

The .75 works against the FOV setting to make it so that you can't see the edges of the screen in the headset. It feels pretty close to right. I think this would be headset dependent though that would vary with horizontal and vertical FOV...

a311c41a02201b73c1bcee2a78063361ebf91dd1

Edited by beachav8r
  • Like 1

Cross posted from a post by me on Mudspike talking about vorpX:

So this was some fun single-mission action while I was doing some testing. The thing I really like about SF2 (at least my modded version) is that I can see the enemy bullets coming at me and can react to them. Ultra realistic? Maybe not..but it is FUN! Particularly toward the end of this mission, I can see the anti-aircraft artillery chasing my wingman across the sky ahead, and can see the tracers and puffs of smoke from the enemy that is shooting at him, so I'm able to roll in on it has its attention on him.

For VR, I'm probably going to need to pull those wingman menus and other onscreen text closer to the middle edges of the screen since I can only barely see them in VR. Though I could just map a different button to the "edge peek" function of vorpX - right now it defaults to the middle mouse button. Edge peek just lets you hit the button and the whole screen zooms out to allow you to see the entire screen in a theater type mode..it is quick, efficient, does not affect the game, and works.

You have to love the anti-aircraft artillery effects in SF2 as well. The thump and pop of the shells blowing up near you, the smoke puffs, and the occasional hits on your fuselage..all are fantastic.

My loadout on this mission were CBUs, 500 pound bombs, and rockets. I also like to modify the aircraft INI file to allow for larger bomb intervals. Many of them are like 20,50,100 choices and I prefer 50, 200, 300 to give me a nice spread of bombs that usually result in better results.

And yes, I'm using a modified cockpit other than the one that usually is installed with the A-1 (Dells created the original) - this cockpit borrows the F-8 Crusader cockpit, and I just like it..purists can string me up...

Regarding wingman commands - I could see where this game might benefit from voice activated wingman commands via Voice Attack or something. I'll have to investigate that.

And finally - this sim/game in its modded state would be absolutely KILLER in multi-player. You know you want to do it TK - so do it!

• Like 3

Excellent job beachav8rI will be getting my PC by this weekend from the repair shop and I will try these setting and give you my feedback. :wink:

• Like 1

Just tested your setting you are on the dime, excellent job.  Except I set the head tracking sensitivity to 1.50 as its more to my liking. :wink:

• Like 1

Good to hear it works for ya' GKABS..! This morning, prompted by another user, I gave IL-2: 1946 (modded) a whirl and am very impressed with how it looks and the gameplay. I could use a slightly wider FOV (I might look into a mod for that), but overall it is really nice. Some pics and videos here:

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vorpx-impressions/9628/42

• Thanks 1

Love the photos/videos,  I think the money spent on Vorpx is really worth it. How good is IL-2 Sturmovik compared to SP2?

16 minutes ago, Stratos said:

What in the world is that VORPX thingie?

It will let you play SF2 on VR