GKABS

Good News SP2 work with HTC Vive using Vorpx

1 hour ago, Stratos said:

But is a device?

Hey Stratos! No, it's a piece of software that basically tries to turn 2D titles into 3D/VR capable games. I don't know how it does it..I assume it uses some algorithm to shift the frame slightly, make two of them, and then send those images to the left and right eye pieces of the VR headset. It has worked pretty well on the titles I've tried so far..but it is definitely a tool for tinkerers. I held off buying it for a long, long time because the reviews for it were generally negative, probably mostly because people were expecting it to do something it doesn't do. It doesn't take 2D games and make them VR native. You can't expect it to be like Skyrim VR or Fallout VR that eventually got reworked for VR, or native VR games like Arizona Sunshine. vorpX just provides a hack if you will to make it happen.

https://www.vorpx.com/

Games it works with sort of out of the box..in that they have profiles that get "hooked" to these executables and it is sort of no-mess/no-fuss or very little anyway...

https://www.vorpx.com/supported-games/

A few more pictures I just took - it works pretty darn good with EECH as well!

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vorpx-impressions/9628/51

Edited by beachav8r
  • Like 1

Very rough video of EECH. Hard to hold the phone in the eyepiece while holding the VR headset and sort of trying not to crash. Obviously, it is much, much clearer in the headset..I'm trying my best not to let my phone camera hit the lens of the Reverb lest I scratch it.

https://youtu.be/VJt5EasWLWk

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation, been thinking in getting a VR set for myself, but the price is steeeep.

Excuse my dumb question ... 

the fully use this, one is required to have 2 fully functioning eyes? 

On 06/02/2020 at 6:56 PM, Wrench said:

Excuse my dumb question ... 

Don't know I guess I could try closing one eye.

Basically in the one I have Rift S you get a little monitor for each eye in the scuba mask with separate images......termed stereoscopic vision maybe.

https://immersionvr.co.uk/blog/monoscopic-vs-stereoscopic-360-vr/

On 2/6/2020 at 1:56 PM, Wrench said:

I would say probably so. VR gives stereoscopic vision by slightly shifting the image viewpoint between the left and right eyes. I couldn't really see much advantage to VR eyesight was limited to a single eye, although you'd still get the excellent head tracking and perhaps a wider field of view and "presence" in game over a 3D monitor and Track IR. It is an interesting question, but not one I can really give much insight on..

Some phabulous phfun, phairly phantastic mission until I got phragged by an SA-2...

<small>I take getting shot at too personally..I should have never rolled in on that SA-2 site!</small>

ffdcf2ee0cb604bf95505e654b6c8ab243052f91

d510bdf4ef4185cebb7e7e4ae673959048eef1fc

31fdaf5c5227e3eac38e032e1c8227c0df271f1d

8a7ff5200f8b4a2cc12885b73e53a563cbeebcb6

Edited by beachav8r
  • Like 3

On 2/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, Stratos said:

Can I ask with VR set do you use?

Sorry for the late reply..was having a crazy week at work with lots of weird flights and long hours.

So these through the lens videos were all taken with my HP Reverb Pro. I absolutely love this headset. The resolution is fantastic, and it is really a very good headset for seated sims and gaming. The thickness of the cable makes it not so great for full room scale VR, but for sims it is great. It uses WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) software, which many Oculus fans would point out as a negative, but I think WMR has actually had some very good software updates and continuous development over the past year or so..it is always getting better. With any VR headset, I would always recommend either trying before you buy, or buying it through a site or store that allows for hassle free returns - just in case you don't like it.

On another (unrelated note) - I did manage to get Falcon 4: BMS working in VR the other day...still tweaking it, but it is pretty nifty...

• Like 2

And, on request of another user - I gave IL-2: Cliffs of Dover (Blitz edition) a whirl last night and this morning and it looks great... (sorry for the topic drift here to other sims..but thought it might be interesting)

• Like 1

On 15/2/2020 at 2:40 PM, beachav8r said:

Sorry for the late reply..was having a crazy week at work with lots of weird flights and long hours.

So these through the lens videos were all taken with my HP Reverb Pro. I absolutely love this headset. The resolution is fantastic, and it is really a very good headset for seated sims and gaming. The thickness of the cable makes it not so great for full room scale VR, but for sims it is great. It uses WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) software, which many Oculus fans would point out as a negative, but I think WMR has actually had some very good software updates and continuous development over the past year or so..it is always getting better. With any VR headset, I would always recommend either trying before you buy, or buying it through a site or store that allows for hassle free returns - just in case you don't like it.

Lucky you lol

I need to wait for a cheaper price on that stuff. Thanks anyway.

VR will be getting cheaper soon with time, but it will take some time for the old games to be available in VR.  I have the HTC Vive and it's really great and it was a birthday gift from my children for my 51 BD.  

• Like 1

On 18/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, GKABS said:

VR will be getting cheaper soon with time, but it will take some time for the old games to be available in VR.  I have the HTC Vive and it's really great and it was a birthday gift from my children for my 51 BD.  

I need to wait, hope they got cheaper soon or that technology will never take off.

15 hours ago, Stratos said:

I need to wait, hope they got cheaper soon or that technology will never take off.

Well, you can usually pick up an Odyssey + for around $300, which is a pretty good headset. I think the Reverb offers the best resolution for the price though..but yeah, it's a commitment of money.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, beachav8r said:

Well, you can usually pick up an Odyssey + for around $300, which is a pretty good headset. I think the Reverb offers the best resolution for the price though..but yeah, it's a commitment of money.

Will wait and see If everything evolves and get cheaper. What annoys me more is not being able to play VTOL VR.

45 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Will wait and see If everything evolves and get cheaper. What annoys me more is not being able to play VTOL VR.

Believe me the game need more work, I mean it's good game but need more so no hurry you're not missing a lot.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else having issues with eye strain using Vorpx compared to playing a native VR game like DCS? I've played with the game's FOV, custom resolutions, zoom setting in Vorpx, 3d depth, etc and I can't seem to find a combination of settings that doesn't cause me significant eyestrain after the time a short sortie takes.

Any tips?

Great Work Guy's!!!  Enjoyed the Video's

Ok, I've mostly solved my eyestrain issues. I'm using an Oculus Rift CV1, and using DCS for comparison, since DCS gives me zero eyestrain.

Here's what I changed:

Vorpx:
Pixel: 1:1
Image Zoom: 1.0
3D Reconstruction: Z Adaptive
3D Strength: 0.99
Depth Weighting Near- Far: 0.44 (ETA: I'm still playing with this setting.)
Depth of Field: Off
Focal Offset: 0.01 (this one was important. I had to set it to 0.01 and then adjust everything else. 0.03 was much too strong for me.)

Strike Fighters 2:
-Options.ini:
DisplayWidth=2400 (This res is effectively super sampling since a Rift CV1 is 1080x1200)
DisplayHeight=2400
AspectRatio=1.000000

-Viewlist.ini:
FOV=96.0 (I found that the FOV here seems to refer to vertical, not horizontal FOV)
MaxFOV=96.0
OffsetDistance=0.001 (This is a universal setting that controls fore and aft camera offset. Positive numbers move the camera in front of the pivot point. Default value has you swinging your head around in VR like a turtle. Nausea inducing.)

-[aircraft]_cockpit.ini
As mentioned above
MaxYaw=360
MinYaw=-360
MaxPitch=360
MinPitchFront=-360
MinPitchRear=-360

Plus adding and tweaking the following value, per [aircraft]_cockpit.ini:
Offset=0.0,-0.1,0.0 (This changes the pivot point of the camera, as opposed to the Offset value in Viewlist.ini. I use this value to sit a little further back from the dash in the F-4, for instance.)

Now all I need to do is search the forum to find out how to modify view distance so aircraft models in-game aren't going invisible only half a mile away. :)

Thanks for finding a way to get Vorpx working with Strike Fighters guys! It's SO hard to go back to Track IR once you've flown in VR. :)

Edited by Aries144
  • Like 2