DarudeSandstorm

Is Rearming, Repairing, Refueling possible?

Honestly this might be because im too spoiled with DCS, but specially after returnign to Il1946 a bit i realized how important having the ability to rearm in a mission without wanting to end it is. Now im really wondering if that kind of things is possible in Strike Fighters 2 considering most of the action here takes place using air to air missiles.

Nope, none of that is doable in Strike Fighters 2 or even Strike Fighters 1

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Nope, none of that is doable in Strike Fighters 2 or even Strike Fighters 1

That's a shame. So is air to air refueling not supported either?

Yeah man. We've been discussing this topic for years... people have tried, tired, and tried again. One person was able to rig something back in the WOE days. With rearming, refueling, and all that. I think the files got lost over time or something.

Yeah we've tried a lot of things with the SF series. Some even developed a bomb sight for heavies ... and I can still hear Wrench say "leave the bombing to the AI" :)

DCS is on top of things that's for sure. However SF series will always have a special place in my heart. I don't care how bad the graphics are or how limited the engine is. SF series is still a good series.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skyviper said:

Yeah man. We've been discussing this topic for years... people have tried, tired, and tried again. One person was able to rig something back in the WOE days. With rearming, refueling, and all that. I think the files got lost over time or something.

Yeah we've tried a lot of things with the SF series. Some even developed a bomb sight for heavies ... and I can still hear Wrench say "leave the bombing to the AI" :)

DCS is on top of things that's for sure. However SF series will always have a special place in my heart. I don't care how bad the graphics are or how limited the engine is. SF series is still a good series.

Oh, you can tell me about it. Im just new to the series, and price discussion aside, i really like making a single purchase and getting so many aircraft and content that DCS would put behind a paywall. Reminds me of the old Jane's Fighter Anthology. However, as a newcomer, some old things i can ignore (like the "foggy world" thing of limited visibility of old flight games) But im having a lot of issues with the fact, for example, that after you land in a carrier you cannot use the catapult again, or the fact that the game has the A7 and the F8 as flyable planes but not the A6, and more specially, the amount of bugs. Am i missing something for some of these? Or do i have to use mods to fill the holes?

There is one way that I know of if you want a second sortie without ending the mission.

Go to your Controls folder. There should be an .ini file in there that lists all the key controls, such as "Default.ini". Open that up, and look for the [ControlSet001] column. At the end, paste in the following:

REARM_WEAPONS=ALT+W
RELOAD_GUN=ALT+G
UNJAM_GUN=ALT+J

After you land, press Alt+W and then Alt+G to re-arm your weapons and replenish gun ammo. Taxi back around and take off. (You can change the key presses to anything else you want, of course.)

Thanks to WhiteBoySamurai for his post and the CA community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, DarudeSandstorm said:

Oh, you can tell me about it. Im just new to the series, and price discussion aside, i really like making a single purchase and getting so many aircraft and content that DCS would put behind a paywall. Reminds me of the old Jane's Fighter Anthology. However, as a newcomer, some old things i can ignore (like the "foggy world" thing of limited visibility of old flight games) But im having a lot of issues with the fact, for example, that after you land in a carrier you cannot use the catapult again, or the fact that the game has the A7 and the F8 as flyable planes but not the A6, and more specially, the amount of bugs. Am i missing something for some of these? Or do i have to use mods to fill the holes?

You may have to use the mods here to solve your aircraft needs. Back in the day Column5 had massive packs of aircraft available to use ... I mean huge amounts of aircraft. The mod developers here and the mod developing teams are amazing people that have spent considerable (and I do mean considerable) amounts of time, effort, and money into providing these models. It's the modding community that keeps SF2 alive. SF2 is straight up fun too. Like you said DCS costs a lot  and honestly DCS and SF2 are worth it if you like flight sims. I have DCS A-10, and UH-1 while it's bit of a shock to hop into SF2 it's nice that I don't have fight physics as much and too a lot of technical things when I'm just wanting to chill out and do a little dog fighting or strike runs.

Or check out the A-6 mods here if you like

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GKABS said:

There is one way that I know of if you want a second sortie without ending the mission.

Go to your Controls folder. There should be an .ini file in there that lists all the key controls, such as "Default.ini". Open that up, and look for the [ControlSet001] column. At the end, paste in the following:

REARM_WEAPONS=ALT+W
RELOAD_GUN=ALT+G
UNJAM_GUN=ALT+J

After you land, press Alt+W and then Alt+G to re-arm your weapons and replenish gun ammo. Taxi back around and take off. (You can change the key presses to anything else you want, of course.)

Thanks to WhiteBoySamurai for his post and the CA community.

Where in the world you got that info?

7 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Where in the world you got that info?

It was posted along time ago by WhiteBoySamurai I search the forum and found it a bout 6 months  ago I believe. :wink:

Edited by GKABS

Just now, GKABS said:

It was posted along time ago by WhiteBoySamurai I search the forum and found it a bout 6 months  ago I believe. :wink:

Wondering why those parameters were never published by TK, and why in the world there is no REFUEL entry.

7 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Wondering why those parameters were never published by TK, and why in the world there is no REFUEL entry.

That is the mystery that we all need a answer to :stars:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GKABS said:

REARM_WEAPONS=ALT+W
RELOAD_GUN=ALT+G
UNJAM_GUN=ALT+J

Seriously now, do these lines work? I mean this is the only modification required to rearm and reload ammo without ending the mission?

Edited by tiopilotos

12 minutes ago, tiopilotos said:

Seriously now, do these lines work? I mean this is the only modification required to rearm and reload ammo without ending the mission?

Yes and it work 100/100

2 hours ago, Stratos said:

Wondering why those parameters were never published by TK

Because those are cheats. I mean, you can press those key combinations while you're flying, and your plane instantly gets new ammo and weapons; not really a realistic thing. You have to pretend that you've landed somewhere...

3 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Because those are cheats. I mean, you can press those key combinations while you're flying, and your plane instantly gets new ammo and weapons; not really a realistic thing. You have to pretend that you've landed somewhere...

A cheat as the magic insta lock of the EO system?

Note that in FE2, pressing "R" during a mission allows re-loading and "U" works for un-jamming. 

I do not fathom sometimes.

At one point some want sim to be realistic and that is ok but then rearm on the ground and take off, fly, fight, bomb, missiles, and cherry napalm again... this is realistic? Not able to rearm on the ground and take off again is possibly the most realistic feature of SF2 series. Unless rearming and refueling will take a real deal amount of time etc. etc...then perhaps you could fly again. But I guess targets are not there where left before 'rearming' anymore...

Sorry but hitting the deck, pressing rearm and going to catapult again...noooo this is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yakarov79 said:

I do not fathom sometimes.

At one point some want sim to be realistic and that is ok but then rearm on the ground and take off, fly, fight, bomb, missiles, and cherry napalm again... this is realistic? Not able to rearm on the ground and take off again is possibly the most realistic feature of SF2 series. Unless rearming and refueling will take a real deal amount of time etc. etc...then perhaps you could fly again. But I guess targets are not there where left before 'rearming' anymore...

Sorry but hitting the deck, pressing rearm and going to catapult again...noooo this is ridiculous.

I would love to argue about it but i have no idea how fast can a plane be rearmed and refueled in the middle of a mission as quickly as possible in either an airfield or a carrier. Still wish the game let me land and use the catapult tho.

Great cheat if it simulates 'Hot Pit' refueling. May not take into account actual time on the ground/engines running; but if previous mission targets destroyed are in effect and you can fly out and continue say a CAS sortie, that's pretty damn cool! Don't know if it works that way in SF series though?

Thanks for the 'tweek' :good:

• Like 1

I would love to argue about it but i have no idea how fast can a plane be rearmed and refueled in the middle of a mission as quickly as possible in either an airfield or a carrier. 

My guess, in the Real World, 20-30 minutes depending on the aircraft, how good the ground crew is, and many other factors. I'm sure searching the internet will turn up something.

Also, once you leave the target area, and fly outside the 50km "bubble of reality", everything de-spawns. So, going back would be more than a waste of time.

Take it from the experts - some of us have been under the hood of these games since 2003

Just tested and I confirm ALT+W works (on ground and in-flight), but not ALT+G and ALT+J.

2 hours ago, DarudeSandstorm said:

I would love to argue about it but i have no idea how fast can a plane be rearmed and refueled in the middle of a mission as quickly as possible in either an airfield or a carrier. Still wish the game let me land and use the catapult tho.

The Israelis rearmed and refueled their french made planes in 1967 war in under 5 minutes. East german ground crews needed comparable time for refueling and rearming MiG-21 during tests. In normal peacetime the turnaround time was around 20 minutes.

• Like 1

Does it really matter what an individual wants to do with their game [ keywords being THEIR and GAME ] be it realistic or not ? The game offers the option to start in the air ....how realistic is that?

They are not cheats, they are just another way of using what TK made available........hell we even have moon and mars stuff being worked on.....how "realistic" is that ?

Like Wrench, I've been with the SF series since day one and seen sooooooo many cheats/workarounds call them what you like, but they are what keep folks interested in SF, it's the whole idea of being mod-able......letting the end user enjoy the game as they want to.

Just my opinion...:wink:

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Silberpfeil said:

Note that in FE2, pressing "R" during a mission allows re-loading and "U" works for un-jamming. 

Yes the un-jam command is good for our sometimes unreliable machine guns in FE2 - also good is the reload command for the Hotchkiss, Lewis, etc., when exchanging drums or belts. In FE2 it adds rather than takes away from the realism. I'll have to check out that "re-arm" command one of these days though - dropping down to the 'drome, re-arming with a fresh 200-ammo belt on the Eindecker, and going up again opens all sorts of possibilities (although it might not be realistic in FE2, given primitive maintenance and overhaul rates, especially for rotary engines, in the good old days).

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Fixed typos.