ok Menvra im rewatching the documentary and so far no mention of the place, it does mention attacking Binh Dinh provence though so i might have misheared ...i will keep watching though just in case

but i did find this map that has Ninh Binh listed as having an airfield somewhat nearby

map-North-and-South-Vietnam-communists-W

i have also found a book called MiG-21 Aces of the Vietnam War that mentions Two MiG's taking off to patrol that area but infuriatingly it dosnt mention where they took off from so .....thats my contribution done for now, i will keep searching

Edited by Tony_Spike
  • Like 1

For now, Quang To and Ben Loi airfields have been removed. They are not used in SF2V's campaigns and serve no real purpose. Additional, important Blue Side airports have been added instead.

Here's a quick comparison between stock and remake (there are lots of details you won't notice from these shots). All airfields have been moved to their correct locations with their correct runway headings, plus lots of tiling fixes throughout the terrain, with the addition of cities, accurate river courses and lakes, especially in the center of the terrain (which is just a barren jungle in the stock terrain).

Stock

VIETNAMSEA_PlanningMap2_000_orig.thumb.jpg.02a97db7904b4647bd9cd85ddb7e1278.jpg

Remake

VIETNAMSEA_PlanningMap2_000.thumb.jpg.c470b8eef8bf28bbbed783a09d49acbf.jpg

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 8

are the cities I placed still attached to their Thai airfileds??

6 minutes ago, Wrench said:

are the cities I placed still attached to their Thai airfileds??

Of course. I had to move everything, thus I had to retile a lot of things. Cities are there, have more accurate shapes and most of them now have rivers, just like their Real World counterparts.

Edited by Menrva

Wow - great stuff! I've been away for a while and this is the 2nd thread I read upon return. You're doing some terrific research and work here and I can't wait to be able to play these maps. I've read more books on the 2 Vietnam wars than I can count on my fingers and toes, so it's exciting to read about others digging into the history. In the past I've done research on the Indochina War to recreate more accurate and lesser known scenarios for the Force on Force tabletop game. If this gets to a point where you need info on specific IW battles and campaigns, I can probably be of some help. 

• Thanks 2

so what are your total plans for this terrain then?

im interested in helping, but eventually i wouldn't mind getting a YAP style mod going for SF2 at some point one with a few campaigns

2 hours ago, Tony_Spike said:

so what are your total plans for this terrain then?

My total plan is to complete work on those two terrains (one for the First Indochina War, the other for the Vietnam War); it's already a huge amount of work, so do not expect that I'll be making complete campaign packages. My plan is to release them as standalone terrain packages. Wrench will worry about creating a package with all aircraft and objects for the First indochina War. Maybe, just maybe, I'll provide reworked .ini files for the campaigns contained in the SF2V expansion mod package.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All the French aircraft (those that are available) are all done. See the Thread in the Missions/Campaigns Forum.

Yes, originally, it was for 48-54 only, but things tend to grow disproportionitly

• Like 1

well in that case i am definitely interested in helping where i can, first indo china war is something i have been interested in creating myself, especially Diem Bien Phu

as for campaigns ..i wouldnt worry about those ..like i say thats something that with the right terrain i wouldn't mind working on