Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

This Is Why You Research Things

I remember watching this video from Battlefield 3 and it was labeled "Realistic Dog Fight". I'll let this video do most of the talking. I'm just saying this is why I ask people that have been there and done that a lot of questions. When I do something as far telling a fictional story, I want it logical, accurate, and enjoyable. Logic and accuracy taking center stage.  All that aside I think this another reason why DCS reigns supreme.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

wait a sec ... you mean to say that gameplay isn't realistic!!!!????

:lol:

• Haha 1

WSO's......RIO's.......who needs 'em ? ........But yeah, I see all sorts of Military inaccuracies in film, tv , and games, however as an ex serviceman, I can see why, as the reality of service life, in whatever scenario, would be deadly boring to watch, a bit like watching lawn bowls , golf, or cricket, brilliant to play  , but dire to watch. Hence the poetic licences taken .

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

wait a sec ... you mean to say that gameplay isn't realistic!!!!????

:lol:

Well that's a shame because I thought BF3 was a flight sim well my bad 

• Haha 2

I like that comment someone made on reddit:

These videos seem really odd to me. It's like a retired athlete criticizing a children's fun run or something.

• Haha 2

At least Battlefield got the FPS part of the game much better, with weapons that feel realistic; in most if not all Call of Duty games, if you reload before the gun is completely empty, you never get the 1 bullet that was still in the chamber. They're just fun games after all. ArmA III developers even released an expansion with aliens. I guess most game developers are running out of fresh ideas.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnLewis141997 said:

Don't get started on Ace Combat

Ace Combat is set on a totally fictional universe, so it does not bother me much, it can be believable to a good extent. It has got its own technology defying laws of physics, but it's not even set on our Planet Earth so to speak.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, trotski00 said:

as the reality of service life, in whatever scenario, would be deadly boring to watch,

nah the new expansion pack for call of duty can be the self....... extra cirricular activities in the porta john.

now in 115/46 degee temps

The thing is though in the original video. It's titled Most Realistic Air Combat Fighter Game (Amazing Realism)  and if you search realistic flight simulator this video is top 5. In the video I posted Mover shows us within a few seconds why it's not realistic. He does understand it's a game and all that good stuff. I find it funny though. To me it's interesting to know which things are accurate and which things aren't. Sure it's a game, it has to look cool, not be accurate, if it's a movie it has to be a little more accurate, plausible, but mostly entertaining. I'm just a weird person and from time to time I'd like to know how things really are. Since this takes place on a carrier I'll bring this one up too. The PBS series about Aircraft Carriers was an eye opener to me. Every time I see a carrier I think about the poor bastards whose birthing areas are under the arresting gear.

I really appreciate the comment about military service personnel bagging on these videos being like a retired NFL player making fun of a Pop Warner league game.  It's funny because it's true.

NONE of these games are even close to the real thing, not even DCS, although there are a considerable number of fans of that game who firmly believe they could fire up an A-10, take off, drop ordnance successfully, and then land.  In reality, they'd likely never get off the ground, and if even if they did, all they would succeed in doing is creating a really expensive crater.  So, sometimes, we as gamers invite the criticism upon ourselves.  In truth, the BF3 carrier sequence is cool BECAUSE it's unrealistically exciting.  When that canopy closed for the first time, I really felt that claustrophobic sensation that only comes with seeing the canopy close on my F-15C or A-10C in DCS.

On 05/03/2020 at 11:19 AM, Menrva said:

Ace Combat is set on a totally fictional universe, so it does not bother me much, it can be believable to a good extent. It has got its own technology defying laws of physics, but it's not even set on our Planet Earth so to speak.

ah yes ...the world where 4 airmen are lauded as legendary heroes, but nothing is mentioned of the guys in the back seat of the F-14 Tomcats that are on the box cover and are thus the poster jets for that particular game (Squadron Leader/Unsung War ...depending on region ....5 ..its 5)

not that i am complaining ..i bloody love it lol

• Like 1